Looking for good Nurgle resources/advice

Want to know how to beat your opponents, then get advice, or give advice here.

Moderators: Valen, TFF Mods

ShriekBob
Experienced
Experienced

Looking for good Nurgle resources/advice

Post by ShriekBob »

So....I've been playing about 6 weeks.

I have a Wood Elf team that is rather successful, and I'm picking up my 2nd team (and planning my third, damn you Impact and your Pharoahs team for Elfball).

Said 2nd team is the Nurgle. Heres the problem, I have found only one strategy guide for them. This leads me to think one of three things. 1) The team is aweful, 2) the guide is so good its all that needs to be said, 3) they're blindingly obvious in strategy and I'm just a chimp.

Are there any good resources for the Nurgle team.

Also, does anyone have any advice, general strategies I should be looking at etc?

Thanks

Reason: ''
Ullis
Ex-Mega Star, now just a Super Star
Ex-Mega Star, now just a Super Star

Re: Looking for good Nurgle resources/advice

Post by Ullis »

I think many coaches have the opinion that Nurgle is an amazing team but I've never played them myself unfortunately.

I think the main things revolve around the skilling paths for Pestigors and Warriors as there's only 4 of each available as well as the role of the Beast. They have lots of skills that deny the opponent something and they're slow so I'd imagine that positioning is an even more important part of their game plan than for other races. This also implies that they're a team that's better suited for defence than offence.

Searching for Nurgle in this section should throw up some useful stuff.

Craigtw
Super Star
Super Star

Post by Craigtw »

ShriekBob wrote:Are there any good resources for the Nurgle team.

Also, does anyone have any advice, general strategies I should be looking at etc?

Thanks
That depends on what strategy guide you found.

I wrote one for the NAF, and it has been put onto t a couple of websites. I share my collected wisdom from playing a lot of Nurgle, but also throw in some thoughts from other coaches.

Nurgle is a very underrated team by many coaches. In the right hands they can be a major threat!

There are different thoughts on how to use different players on the team (especially pestigors), and the team creation itself, but I cover a lot of that in the article.

I will dig around and see if I can find a link.

Add me as a friend on Facebook: Spazz Fist
Add me as a friend on Xbox Live: Spazzfist
Craigtw
Super Star
Super Star

Post by Craigtw »

Smeborg
Legend
Legend

Post by Smeborg »

Nurgle are a lot of fun to play, provided you are patient and like a challenge. It took me 1-2 years to learn to play them with any degree of consistency. Nurgle are slow, clumsy, and have one of the the worst offenses in the game. But they have a natural defense based on their many mutations (Disturbing Presence, Tentacles, Foul Appearance, Horns). The team has no starting Block, most of the players are AV8, and the Rotters get squished very easily (Decay). The team is expensive relative to most teams (the 9 "positional" players average 100,000 each).

There are some big differences in the playing style and development strategy adopted by Nurgle coaches. This is one reason you may not have seen any extensive Nurgle playbook published yet.

Another more important reason is that Nurgle are an unusual side; they play better during their opponent's turn than during their own. Indeed, the Nurgle playmakers make the plays in the opponent's turn, rather than in their own. A Nurgle coach aims to give his opponent a set of marginal (or plain bad) options each turn, not knowing with any certainty which one(s) the opponent will choose, or which one(s) will fail. A "typical" Nurgle victory is 1-0 (not the typical 2-1 of a bash team). Nurgle often play most of the game on defense (strange for a bash team).

Many coaches, apparently, like to develop Nurgle as a slayer side, in the style of Chaos. I believe that this (while it may work fine) is not the best strategy for the side. I think it is better to develop Nurgle by re-inforcing their starting strengths so as to deny the opposition space, initiative and the ability to move the ball. I suggest this may also be a more rounded development strategy, in that it works against all types of teams (e.g. both ST and AG). I also find it fun!

Hope this helps.

Smeborg the Fleshless
plasmoid
Legend
Legend

Post by plasmoid »

Narrow Tier BB? http://www.plasmoids.dk/bbowl/NTBB.htm
Or just visit http://www.plasmoids.dk instead
ShriekBob
Experienced
Experienced

Post by ShriekBob »

That playbook was really really useful thank you.

I just wish I could fit The Beast, 4 warriors, 2 pestigors into my starting lineup >_<

Duke Jan
Legend
Legend
Location: Watching the great unclean armpits of a Beast Of Nurgle

Post by Duke Jan »

The playbook is really good, apart from the use of the Beast. You can probably tie up one GR with the beast when you use him as in the play book, but the others will still be able to move about as they please. Having him tie up linemen is more effective, removing support from the GR and making the area your warriors need to cover smaller and less crowded. Push players towards your beast, making sure to have enough support to eliminate assists for attempts to knock him over. Stand Firm over Break Tackle any time, once he's in the right place you won't need to dodge him.

Nuffle Sucks!
rvlvr
Experienced
Experienced

Post by rvlvr »

I, too, would like to see more info regarding the rotters.

I like their defense-heavy look. Might want to try them in a league with a nice variety of opponents. Would not want to start w/o the beast, would feel wrong doing so.

ShriekBob
Experienced
Experienced

Post by ShriekBob »

I also see no reason you can't have a rotter in the middle of the cage considering they're just as Agile as a Pestigor. Sure they're one speed slower, but if your grinding out turns thats hardly a problem is it?

Craigtw
Super Star
Super Star

Post by Craigtw »

ShriekBob wrote:I also see no reason you can't have a rotter in the middle of the cage considering they're just as Agile as a Pestigor. Sure they're one speed slower, but if your grinding out turns thats hardly a problem is it?
True enough, a rotter can work in the cage in a pinch. But this is assuming that everything goes according to plan! Sometimes that one extra movement can make all the difference, or the Horns can be useful if your best option is to blitz out of the cage.

But under favourable circumstances, you are right, the rotter could suffice.

Craigtw
Super Star
Super Star

Post by Craigtw »

Duke Jan wrote:The playbook is really good, apart from the use of the Beast. You can probably tie up one GR with the beast when you use him as in the play book, but the others will still be able to move about as they please. Having him tie up linemen is more effective, removing support from the GR and making the area your warriors need to cover smaller and less crowded. Push players towards your beast, making sure to have enough support to eliminate assists for attempts to knock him over.
Have to disagree. For the simple reason that if the beast is on the front line you are not only losing their ability to tie up one of the GRs, but you are also removing the Disturbing Presence from the intended receivers. You say that the beast is better used at tying up the linemen in hopes to remove support, but the Skaven playbook would have the ball handed off to a gutter runner who is behind the LOS and then a quick pass to another further down the field and then score. So what was the point of tying up linemen?

Using the beast in the backfield means that you can tie up one of the gutter runners (possibly more if your opponent is careless enough to leave one or two where you can block/blitz them into the beast's TZs). But who said the beast had to do everything? Use the warriors and their TZs and Disturbing Presence to make the likelihood of the pass/hand off less likely. If you are lucky, then you may even be able to overlap the Disturbing presence of the warriors to make a catch at -3! (2 DP and a TZ)

I have played skaven many many times with my Nurgle and have a very good record against them. I find that psychology is my best weapon. My opponent will see the negative modifiers for passing, and choose not to - then he can not score as quickly and is playing more my game.

Tying up the beast at the LOS is removing him from the play and inviting the quick skaven score.
Duke Jan wrote: Stand Firm over Break Tackle any time, once he's in the right place you won't need to dodge him.
Bit of a broad statement. I would tend to agree that Stand Firm is probably th ebetter of the two, but there are always instances where your opponent does get away, or a sacraficial lamb is left to keep the beast from the better target.

Craigtw
Super Star
Super Star

Post by Craigtw »

ShriekBob wrote:That playbook was really really useful thank you.

I just wish I could fit The Beast, 4 warriors, 2 pestigors into my starting lineup >_<
All the positionals to begin with? What do you think this is, a dwarf team? :P

DoubleSkulls
Da Admin

Post by DoubleSkulls »

I agree with Craigtw. Using the BoN to tie up line rats? That just keeps the key players - GRs - free and nimble. Your opponent will probably waste a lot of resources trying to get the BoN off a GR and if you can tie up two then you really should. Tentacles is a lot better at +3 strength than just +2, and no one else you have is really able to stop them moving.

Ian 'Double Skulls' Williams
Jimmy Fantastic
Super Star
Super Star

Post by Jimmy Fantastic »

Nurgle are an awful team. You should only use them if you really love the idea of them, and don't mind losing!