3rd edition DE v CD Tactical Advice

Want to know how to beat your opponents, then get advice, or give advice here.

Moderators: Valen, TFF Mods

Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

Can anyone help me please. I am a DE player with full compliment of players including Horkon, and am due to play a CD player (no star players, bull centaurs etc.) in the near future. The last time we played I got completely humped. He has lots of Diving Tackle (CD and Hobgoblins) and Guard. Does anyone have any advice?

Reason: ''
Anthony_TBBF
Da Painta

Post by Anthony_TBBF »

Use your superior AG and MV to stay away from his Dwarfs... you want to avoid getting hit as much as possible (obviously)! :wink:

If you have the opportunity, hit a Hobgoblin. These are they only players that can handle the ball and they have low AV so they aren;t hard to take out. Basically your overall strategy should be to deny him hits and outrun him when at all possible.

Hope that helps!

Deathwing
The Voice of Reason

Post by Deathwing »

Are we talking 3rd ed or 2k? Makes a big difference to Diving Tackle. Either way Anthony's right, keep away from the CDs if possible and try and take out the HGs. CDs are definately a second tier team, especially without Bull Centaurs. Good luck!

Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

3rd edition.

If you don't hit a CD, how do you break through their line?

Deathwing
The Voice of Reason

Post by Deathwing »

OK, in 3rd you shouldn't have a problem using your Witch Elves to create a hole with Frenzy. Get an assist up and blitz with a Witch Elf. Your obviously gonna have to hit one now and again but don't get involved in a brawl. That's their strength. Agility and speed are yours. Play to your strengths and not his.
Another point, you should really consider trying the new rules. IMO Diving Tackle was one of the biggest problems of 3rd ed; it's way overpowered.

Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

I'm quite keen too. But the BB die hards don't like change, especially change induced by GW.

By problem with hitting the CD is there's always someone with Guard standing nearby. My opponent is very devious. He also positions his models so I have to dodge all other the place, but without my Dodge skill.

Anthony_TBBF
Da Painta

Post by Anthony_TBBF »

Try lining up heavy on one side, with your good MV and AG you should be able to grab the ball no matter where it lands on the kickoff. You should be able to get 2 dice on someone near the sidelines in most situations. Also, use your most expendable linemen when you have to put 3 on the line when kicking.

You really should try the rules update, it is simply a better game than straight 3e. Did you know Dark Elves get 4 blitzers under the new rules? :wink: It really fixes the DT problem as Deathwing mentioned as well.

Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

By the way is Sure Feet a once per turn skill, like Dodge or as many times as you can, under 3rd edition?

harlequin
Rookie
Rookie

Post by harlequin »

don't play 3rd edition. It is unbalanced. Me and my mate played it to death, he was orcs and i was wood elves. I had a team full of diving tackle and he had a team full of block/stand firm/dodge etc. In short nobody had a chance against us and we found the game v. difficult vs each other. If ur using the bbrc rules then it depends how good ur thrower is. If he has accurate /safe throw, then break through the opposing defence and wait till turn 2 to throw. If ur thrower isn't that hot then hang back and throw it turn 2. ur elves have plenty of speed to scoree with ease. Vs chaos dwarves u should have no problem; make suree all possible routes to the player with the ball are a nightmare for AG 2 players to dodge through(only needs 2-3 players usually). Ok?. If this doesnt help tell me exactly where ur having trouble . cya.

Longshot
Da Capt'ain

Post by Longshot »

3rd Ed is Balanced. I knew some players with doge,block....and the answer was, Block, tackle,MB,pro....
There always something you can do, exept against oneturner maybe (Wizzard!!!!)
If you are aware and you move your players properly, you can beat a stronger TR team.

Lightning' bugs for the win

http://teamfrancebb.positifforum.com/
Longshot
Da Capt'ain

Post by Longshot »

Sure feet can be used for all (2or3) square that you 'go for it'.
Dodge can only be used once per turn (exept on tackle...:smile: )

harlequin
Rookie
Rookie

Post by harlequin »

fair comment longshot. What i mean to say is that stand firm and diving tackle tend to dominate excessively in 3rd ed teams. Zen only needs to take lots of diving tackles (i.e the whole team!) then the cd player (all st 3) have a job moving anywhere without having a block thrown at them. He will counter with stand firm. One tip Zen is always take stand firm on a double (and a guard or 2)as u can then move freely with high agility with no fear of falling over, and when combined with block and dodge makes him difficult to knock over - unless tackle. How many d. tackle players does ur chaos dwarf opponent have?

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: harlequin on 2002-02-04 00:07 ]</font>

Longshot
Da Capt'ain

Post by Longshot »

i disagree:
-Stand Firm is usefull but not that strong.
-Diving takcle is a strong one, but dont forget that it can be used only once per turn and the player loose his takle zone (like diving Catch, man that the players is supposed to be lying on the field but not really, no need to jump up....)
Diving tackle is very usefull if you succed to get it with FO4 players but they have to make a double.
Last thing: a whole team with the same skill is poor and will play only one way=> Bad thing.

Longshot
Da Capt'ain

Post by Longshot »

have you ever lauch a Black Orc on a lineman elf with DT: oups, why dont you use it?

harlequin
Rookie
Rookie

Post by harlequin »

i used to take dauntless for my diving tacklers :smile: