Lizardman Playbook

Want to know how to beat your opponents, then get advice, or give advice here.

Moderators: Valen, TFF Mods

Gimli
Experienced
Experienced

Re: Lizardman Playbook

Post by Gimli »

Came across this useful thread from a few years ago, and thought I would bump it.

I've played Lizards a ton (50 games with my TT team; 400+ on Cyanide), and am still undecided about whether they are a Bash or Finesse team. My worst games are those where I go toe to toe with a Bash team and rapidly get gutted.

I'm a big believe in BT, although I agree that if I play right I should rarely need to use it. It is a nice "gotcha" skill, as other coaches tend to just see an AG1 player than can't dodge. Also, it's useful for getting tagged Sauruses away from a 2D Block which they will have to endure the next turn if they don't get away.

I'm also not sure about kicking off against scary teams, and trying to win 2-1. Every time I have tried that tactic it seems to fail. I think you are always better off to get the first shot in, then stall to your T8. Yes, it means your opponent gets two cracks at you, but the hope is that by this point you have done some of your own damage.

Comments?

Reason: ''
Smeborg
Legend
Legend

Post by Smeborg »

I always receive if I win the toss. I understand, at least partially, the reason for kicking instead (for some finesse teams), and have on rare occasions been beaten by a well coached team using such a strategy. However, it seems to me that you always have a chance to get lucky CAS if you receive - you never know. This is especially the case in tournaments. And if you are a finesse team, you can potentially have the best of both worlds. By scoring while you still have plenty of players, you get a sitiuation similar to kicking first, except you are 1-0 up.

I am a fan of BT on Lizzies, it makes the team much harder to play against.

All the best.

Smeborg the Fleshless
Jimmy Fantastic
Super Star
Super Star

Post by Jimmy Fantastic »

At low TV kick. At high TV why are you using Lizardmen?!
But yeah vs C-Pomb you have to receive and hope you keep a team together.
I have never taken BT on a Saurus but I have never and would never go to high TV with them.
I guess I could see BT on a Blodger for a late skill, but only ever on a Blodger.

Smeborg
Legend
Legend

Post by Smeborg »

I think you only need 1 or 2 BT Saurus, they seem to make a huge difference (I speak as an opponent).

I remember reading (on this forum I expect) about a Lizzie team on which all 6 Saurus were given M-Blow as first skill. Might suit Jimmy and his environment.

All the best.

Smeborg the Fleshless
darkrock76
Rookie
Rookie

Post by darkrock76 »

I have found this playbook incredibly useful, but thought there was one thing that it never addresses. It seems that the #1 strat against lizards is to remove the skinks from the pitch, but nobody ever mentions taking +AV on a normal 10 roll. Obviously doubles have better options. However, since skinks can already move so far and going from AV7 to AV8 is huge I wonder why it is never even mentioned? I understand you should avoid getting your skinks hit as much as possible, but at the end of the day they will get blitzed from time to time and the only time I seem to struggle is when my opponent is rolling well enough to remove my skinks. Any thoughts from other Lizard coaches?