Lizardman Playbook

Want to know how to beat your opponents, then get advice, or give advice here.

Moderators: Valen, TFF Mods

garion
Ex-Mega Star, now just a Super Star

Lizardman Playbook

Post by garion »

Finished maybe a suplement coming another time, but not for a while
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Reason: ''
JaM
Legend
Legend

Re: Lizardman Playbook for plasmoids

Post by JaM »

Havent red it thouroughly, but my spell-checker keeps sayng that it should be "touchdown" and not "touch down".
Other than that, I like it so far. Nice diagrams. Looks well done to me, but havnet had the time to really read the tactics given.

garion

Post by garion »

JaM wrote:Havent red it thouroughly, but my spell-checker keeps sayng that it should be "touchdown" and not "touch down".
Other than that, I like it so far. Nice diagrams. Looks well done to me, but havnet had the time to really read the tactics given.
Thanks I will change that, this is a first daft so there will no doubt be a few gramatical errors etc...

EastCoast
Veteran
Veteran

Post by EastCoast »

Garion, that is amazing. No doubt the nicest one I've seen so far, and considering the quality of the playbooks, that is saying something. My only regret is that I have to go to work and I can't dig into the diagrams. Top notch, first draft or not.

garion

Post by garion »

Thanks, that means alot. Is there anything you think i need to go into in more detail or anything missing?

nick_nameless
Emerging Star
Emerging Star

Post by nick_nameless »

It looks really well done! I could only breeze through it (supposed to be working :D ), but it's something I will definitely take a look at as I am in the process of assembling the new lizardman team I bought off of Galak.

garion

Post by garion »

Come on guys 34 down loads so far and only 3 comments, keep it coming.

All feedback is welcome, if you are scared of being to critical then pm me if you wish. If it is to say it is good thats fine too.

plasmoid
Legend
Legend

Post by plasmoid »

Yay. Now I'm looking forward to it even more :D
As I've said, I can give it a closer look in a week.
Give the man some feedback fellas :orc:

Narrow Tier BB? http://www.plasmoids.dk/bbowl/NTBB.htm
Or just visit http://www.plasmoids.dk instead
garion

Post by garion »

plasmoid wrote:Yay. Now I'm looking forward to it even more :D
As I've said, I can give it a closer look in a week.
Give the man some feedback fellas :orc:

Up to 40 downloads still no feedback come guys

Da_Great_MC
Emerging Star
Emerging Star

Post by Da_Great_MC »

First thing I have to say: thank you. Great playbook.

I have a few remarks on the skills you give your Skinks:
Once you have a Skink with Block and another with Wrestle it is time to start developing Skinks for fouling.
I'd like a Skink with Guard to assist a Skink attacking the ball carrier. I also like Sure Hands on a Skink. Therefore I never give Dirty Player. I just don't reach the point where I've rolled enough doubles on Skinks.

Also, I would never give Sneaky Git as a first skill to a Skink. If he doesn't roll a double skill when he reaches 16 SPP's he becomes very expensive. On top of that: when I foul, I make sure it counts, therefore Sneaky Git very rarely does the trick for me (barring the unlucky double '1' or maybe double '2'... surely not worth wasting a skill on!
OTTD Skinks

I would "never ever" bother with the Hail Mary Skink!

If you want to build a OTT Skink, you should give him Sidestep first (like all Skinks that don't roll a double skill). Blitzing an opposing player into the Sidestepping Skink will allow him to move into the first square on your opponent's half.

Second and third skill should be Sure Feet and Sprint. The order in which you give those skills depends: if you want to keep your Skink 'all purpose', give Sure Feet first. You will need a second pushback though to realise the OTS.

If you want to make the OTS more reachable (I didn't say reliable, because you'll need to make 3 Going For It's without a skill re-roll), you should give Sprint before Sure Feet. With Sprint the second block can be a pow, it will push your Skink a second square into the opponents half.

Fourth skill should be Catch.

---

I haven't had the time to read it all, just like most of the people who have downloaded the playbook. Hope this helps for now.

Keep up the good work!!

Never forget Bologna

- Da Great MC has Dutchies for breakfast -
nick_nameless
Emerging Star
Emerging Star

Post by nick_nameless »

WRT the Saurii and getting bogged down:

I am starting a lizardman team, and I find this guide to be an interesting read right now. One of the skills I had planned on investing in heavily was Grab. I feel like being able to free up my Packs (the way I was envisioning the groups of skinks and their Saurus bodyguards) is with grab. That way marked Saurii can have an easier time tossing "prey" between them. I also think that fend is a pretty good investment. I want Stand Firm and Guard on the line, but with the other guys I want to create better opportunity to move around. Guard will always be high priority, but I can see taking 2 Saurii with Grab as their second skill for opening up holes for the cage to walk through or for creating space for a screen. It does a little more than create a crowd surf :)

All in all a great guide, but that was one thing I thought it could benefit from.

Dzerards
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Dzerards »

Great guide. Lots of detail in there to get your head around. I must say though, I was surprised at how grindy you make the Lizzies out to be. Sure I'll grind out 2-1 wins against Elves and Skaven, but against everyone else I use that MA 8 to crank up the score. With a Kick skink you can be out of sight by half time! My point being that they are one of the most flexible teams in teams of play style.

"Luck is the residue of design" John Milton
plasmoid
Legend
Legend

Post by plasmoid »

Hi all,
haven't read the guide yet - so this is for Nick_nameless. I have no idea whether it also applies to the guide... But:
In my experience against lizards saurii need either break tackle or mighty blow fairly early (by 2nd skill). With any AV8, AV9 or dodge-heavy team I can bog down the saurii with minimal risk, which can really cause problems for the skinks.
Cheers
Martin

Narrow Tier BB? http://www.plasmoids.dk/bbowl/NTBB.htm
Or just visit http://www.plasmoids.dk instead
garion

Post by garion »

Gerard wrote:Great guide. Lots of detail in there to get your head around. I must say though, I was surprised at how grindy you make the Lizzies out to be. Sure I'll grind out 2-1 wins against Elves and Skaven, but against everyone else I use that MA 8 to crank up the score. With a Kick skink you can be out of sight by half time! My point being that they are one of the most flexible teams in teams of play style.
I do understand what you are saying but I never try and score except in the last turn of the half. If you are playing team like dwarves for example and you score early on then you give them a chance to gind and score in your own half and win 2-1 you should always with all the races try and score in the last turn of the half. The trick with lizards is using their strength to force your opponent into scoring early leaving you time to score again in that half. Obviously if your opponent keeps leaving his ball carrier isolated then blitz him and score. But good coaches will never do that.

Also with Lizards you want to kick off as few times as possible because you can lose one of best players on the kick off everytime because you have to put either Krox and 2 saurii or 3 saurii on the LOS and in league play they will get fouled everytime. I certainly foul a saurus every time I get the chance. - This was covered in the playbook.

garion

Post by garion »

nick_nameless wrote:WRT the Saurii and getting bogged down:

I am starting a lizardman team, and I find this guide to be an interesting read right now. One of the skills I had planned on investing in heavily was Grab. I feel like being able to free up my Packs (the way I was envisioning the groups of skinks and their Saurus bodyguards) is with grab. That way marked Saurii can have an easier time tossing "prey" between them. I also think that fend is a pretty good investment. I want Stand Firm and Guard on the line, but with the other guys I want to create better opportunity to move around. Guard will always be high priority, but I can see taking 2 Saurii with Grab as their second skill for opening up holes for the cage to walk through or for creating space for a screen. It does a little more than create a crowd surf :)

All in all a great guide, but that was one thing I thought it could benefit from.
Grab is a good skill but it is a skill you should only chose late on their development. You need block, mighty blow, break tackle and guard on your Saurii as quickly as possible. Mighty blow is required so you can star gaining spp quickly because these guys are really slow to develop. Grab is quite nice but you do not want to be bouncing your opponents between saurii. In fact you want to keep your saurii on the move at all time and if it can helped free of any tacklezones by then end of turn.

You also say you would like grab for oppening holes in the opponents defence but I don't see how this gives you any big advantage over a normal block anyway to be honest. It is a nice skill but it is a luxary. Block, Mighty Blow, Guard, Break Tackle, Tackle are all absolutely vital and you need these asap.

Fend is a good skill and if your league is full of claw - PO players then taking it can be advantageous but as before there are just too many skills they need before it. All this is covered in the playbook. I will look at putting more in about grab though if i feel it is needed, I will read it again later today.

Also what does WRT mean?

Thanks for the feedback