Team advice for mini league

Want to know how to beat your opponents, then get advice, or give advice here.

Moderators: Valen, TFF Mods

Hegel
Experienced
Experienced

Team advice for mini league

Post by Hegel »

We´ll start a mini league soon and I still need to select a team. The other teams are Nurgle, Chaos Dwarves and probably Necromantic, and the season will be 12 games plus finals, so not a lot of time to develop a lot of skills. I usually play Orcs, but I´d really like to play some other team now for a change. I´m open to any suggestion, although I might say I´m not looking for fun teams like goblin, halfling or ogres. Which team would be best suited against those mentioned above (especially Chaos Dwarves) ?

Thanks a lot !

Reason: ''
Aliboon
Super Star
Super Star

Re: Team advice for mini league

Post by Aliboon »

None really. CDs and dwarves are broken against stunty teams, but at least with the Ogres, you can shield the little 'uns a bit until they go Bonehead. But then Snots are very, very fragile.

Gobbos would be my choice, arguably the most fun and if you win the toss and get some CASs early doors, then you have a reasonable chance.

Hegel
Experienced
Experienced

Post by Hegel »

Hegel wrote:..I´m not looking for fun teams like goblin, halfling or ogres
I guess you misunderstood me... I´m looking for any team BUT the ones I mentioned.

Aliboon
Super Star
Super Star

Post by Aliboon »

Sorry, I should learn to read.

I'd go Norse I think, block will protect you a fair bit, you are virtually immune to claw (which all the others have/are likely to get) and they start off running. I wouldn't bother with the Ulfs though if it is a short league.

klauser
Veteran
Veteran

Post by klauser »

In order to avoid the ClawPOMB-war of attrition that is likely to occur with this mix of teams, I would go for Wood Elves.

That way you can

- ignore Claw due to universal AV 7 (which still breaks a lot obv),
- play a running game, thus avoiding Disturbing Presence,
- win your early games by stealing the ball on defense, because no one can deal with your War Dancers.

The downside is that you will be low on Rerolls, assuming you start with 1000K.

Eski
Emerging Star
Emerging Star

Post by Eski »

Are u starting up without a skillups.. Just skills that u normally earn??

U either have a fast scoring team that's strong enough to slow them down and tough enough to denie th SPP.. Or go for some more smashing yourself with something like Khermi..

4human blitzers and develop them with guard in mind.. Loads of free refills from sure hands and catch..

http://www.bristolvanguard.co.uk
Look Up Bristol Vanguards Gert Bowl Tournment near end of July 2012
"MB and Piling On! Rerolls need not apply!"
RogueThirteen
Star Player
Star Player

Post by RogueThirteen »

klauser wrote:In order to avoid the ClawPOMB-war of attrition that is likely to occur with this mix of teams, I would go for Wood Elves.

That way you can

- win your early games by stealing the ball on defense, because no one can deal with your War Dancers.

In a 12 game season, I can promise you there will be NO clawpomb.

I'd think a lot about Dark Elves or High Elves. It will mix up the field quite nicely and gives you something very different from the orcs you've played before. Alternatively, Lizardmen could be a lot of fun. You'll have more strength and speed, but your opponents will have far more skills and reliability. Should make for some fun match-ups.

Hegel
Experienced
Experienced

Post by Hegel »

We will Start at TV1000 without additional skills.

To sum up so far :
Humans (i always thought they are considered sub par, are they really any good vs Chaos Dwarves ?)
Wood- , High- or Dark Elves

So generally, these are teams relying on Dodge and passing ? What about vulnerability ? Chaos Dwarves have Tackle from the beginning, Nurgle have Disturbing Presence, don´t these skills neglect the main advantages of the teams mentioned above ? Sorry if that sounds stupid, but I´m at the beginning of my Blood Bowl career, and only played Orcs up to now. They handle well against Nurgle, but I´ve never played against faster teams (my friends tend to play bashy teams as well)...

Hitonagashi
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Hitonagashi »

RogueThirteen wrote:
klauser wrote:In order to avoid the ClawPOMB-war of attrition that is likely to occur with this mix of teams, I would go for Wood Elves.

That way you can

In a 12 game season, I can promise you there will be NO clawpomb.

I'd think a lot about Dark Elves or High Elves. It will mix up the field quite nicely and gives you something very different from the orcs you've played before. Alternatively, Lizardmen could be a lot of fun. You'll have more strength and speed, but your opponents will have far more skills and reliability. Should make for some fun match-ups.

+1 on Lizardmen. You'll dominate rookie Chaos Dwarves, they suck against Lizards. Low TV Nurgle suck against any low TV tier 1 race in general, and Necromantic should provide a close and interesting game.

Depends why you want to play. If you want to have a good chance of winning the league, take a tier 1, whether that's Orcs/Wood Elfs/Lizardmen/Amazons(well, maybe not with the CD)/Undead.

garion
Ex-Mega Star, now just a Super Star
Ex-Mega Star, now just a Super Star

Post by garion »

yeah hito is correct. Lizardmen are pure win against everyone at low TV, other than wood elves maybe.

Aliboon
Super Star
Super Star

Post by Aliboon »

I'm surprised that Lizzies are so popular tbh, with only 12 games, I'd be surprised if more than a couple of the sauri skilled up much before the end of the league.

I wouldn't have thought they're that great against CDs, yeah you're stronger, but with 6 starting players with block, the CD blockers will happily take 1d blocks against the sauri, even 2d against at the end of the turn. And if the blockers get hold of you're skinks, they're toast.

But then maybe I'm unlucky, given a couple of 2ds without block a turn, I'm pretty much guaranteed to roll a skull/both down...

Hitonagashi
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Hitonagashi »

The trick is not to take the 2ds without block. You haven't got much chance of killing the dorfs anyway...and by the same logic, they won't have guard.

If you surround the dwarves and mob them, they find it very difficult to get your blocks in.

In addition, one slip from the CD's, and the skinks are through, and gone into the distance, the bulls not getting BT till late meaning the pursuers are hobgoblins.

On FUMBBL, my Lizardman team is 10/0/2 against CD's(and the 2 losses were to packed clawbomb who took a load of saurii off early)

lerchey
Emerging Star
Emerging Star

Post by lerchey »

I think that I have to agree on using Lizards. I haven't played them in a TTLeague, but did run them through their paces on my PC. Even the Sauri skilled up reasonably quickly, and the skinks are just so fast and dodgey that the score and score and score. And you just don't keep them in anyone TZs unless you have a really good reason to do so to protect them from anything but a blitz.

For the fun of it the other night, I decided to start a team of ONLY skinks. They played one game against Skaven. The Skaven PC player had skills while my little Skinks only had their built-ins. I had something like 300k in inducements, so I grabbed an apoth and a couple of re-rolls.

I won the game handily at 4-2, and suffered 4 cas, nothing permanent, and skilled up 2 skinks. Part of being able to win might have been that I was NOT playing against dwarves (tackle and block). Despite the CAS, they are a lot of fun to play with - every player moves 8 and has stunty and dodge. Zooooom!

El_Jairo
Veteran
Veteran

Post by El_Jairo »

Lizzies are good food for thought.
I recon you don't go for croxy and use the sauri for screening and blitzing.
It seems like good sense vs bashing teams but are you still able to protect the skinks vs elves? Wardancers are a bitch and most other elf blizers/catcher are one skill away from blodge. So they should give you headaches if they make a hole in the screen.
But I answered my question: play very cagy vs elves and devellop a bash fest if your RR's allow it.

Jimmy Fantastic
Super Star
Super Star

Post by Jimmy Fantastic »

Undead are statistically the best team at low TV.
Lizardmen are basically unbeatable by other bashers at low TV.