(Un-)Living NecroTacticum: Necros vs the world of Blood Bowl

Want to know how to beat your opponents, then get advice, or give advice here.

Moderators: Valen, TFF Mods

swilhelm73
Star Player
Star Player

Re: (Un-)Living NecroTacticum: Necros vs the world of Blood

Post by swilhelm73 »

For league play I would suggest starting with the one wolf and 3 RRs. Obviously you save money that way: reroll at start+ww later = 190k, ww at start + reroll later = 260k. But also important is the question of how many non-block/frenzy players you really need - especially if you are only using 2 RRs. Remember 1/9 non-block 2D blocks fail....

In my last league I went with the 1 WW/3 RR build and had my WW killed on in my first game by a throw rock (really nuffle?!?). Interestingly I still did well (though having only 2 players with mv>4 and ag>2 was rough).

As for the Zombies, I would give them block when your opponents are below TV1250 or so, and then switch to wrestle. At low TV block is superior to wrestle for every player. As time goes on though, and the majority of your opponents' players get block though, wrestle becomes ever better....and it doesn't fit well on most of your other players. When that Chaos Warrior with block/MB/guard/SF/etc/etc rolls double down against you you'll take him out play for 2 turns - turn one he stands up and is marked by your zombie...turn 2 he has to block your zombie again.

In the mid term, I think this is a reasonable build target for a necro team...

WW: Block, Dodge, SS
WW: Block, Dodge, MB
Wight: Guard, Dodge, SF
Wight: Guard, Tackle, MB
Ghoul: +AG, Block, SH
Ghoul: Wrestle, Tackle, SS
FG: Block, Guard
FG: Block, Guard
Z: DP
Z: Wrestle
Z: Rookie x3
3 RR
6 FF
TV=1750
24 skills, 2 doubles, one +AG - so this would be a somewhat unlucky set of skill results. Doubles are critical on the WWs - ideally you want MB and PO on one of them. Doubles are good on wights for Dodge, though not as important. +AG on at least one player to be the ball carrier is helpful. +MV on a WW can make them a one turner (with SS)...but be careful about turning your WWs into something other then blitzers as it can weaken the team overall.

Reason: ''
Heartsbane
Experienced
Experienced

Post by Heartsbane »

Horses for courses, but next time I start a fresh necro team I'll get to three rerolls by not bothering with one or both of the golems. 2 wolves and 2 wights are always going to be on my starting rosters!

And I've got past my earlier feeling that the zombies were fragile. When I was trying to save funds for full propositionals money was tight and I felt their loss. But after the first ~5 games that ceases to apply (unfortunate casualties not withstanding) and I'm happy to use and abuse them until they break, them just buy more.

Digger Goreman
Legend
Legend
Location: Atlanta, GA., USA: Recruiting the Walking Dead for the Blood Bowl Zombie Nation

Experiment and latest recommendations

Post by Digger Goreman »

Started two Necromancer teams, one with and one without golems (one with had two wolves and one each wight and ghoul)....

The two teams posted the same record, over six games,,,, The huge difference: the team with golems gained full positionals while having a higher TV and treasury, while the golemless team was less TV and never made enough scratch to buy the first golem.... So I am sold on starting with five zeds and all positionals minus one wight and one ghoul....

In other news, The Professor took a guardianless Khemri against my Nurgles (Dirty Rotten Scoundrels) in our "putrid" version of the Detroit - Minnesota Turkey Bowl.... True to life, it was a sad 1-1 tie.... :roll:

LRB6/Icepelt Edition: Ah!, when Blood Bowl made sense....
"1 in 36, my Nuffled arse!"
DAddenbrooke
Rookie
Rookie

Post by DAddenbrooke »

Well, a Necro is only appropriate for questions regarding this team.

Let me know if I should start my own thread (or that this is better).

My baby Necro are two games in (we are doing pre season friendlies), I have managed to level up a flesh golem (he's had 2 touchdowns and a casualty) and a Werewolf.

Werewolf rolled a +agi, I took that (feel free to let me know if that was a mistake), Flesh Golem rolled a double but I have taken block, let me know if others disagree.

Have another friendly coming up against Skaven, total fresh team with 3 gutters, 1 RO, 2 Blitzers, and the rest lineman, with three rerolls.

I went with the 2 FG, 2W, 1WW, 1G, 5 Zombies build.

Any advice?

mawph
Super Star
Super Star

Post by mawph »

I'm very much in favour of +AG wolves. They go very well, I've found.

For Flesh Golems, I'd probably have passed up the double for a first roll too. I would just have likely taken Guard as first skill (then block, then MB). With Stand Firm and ST4, they're the rocks of the formation, so boring skills first really. I'd potentially take dodge before Block, but definitely guard first. ST4, Guard, SF is a nice combo.

Blackshirt Hunter Extraordinaire (2004)
Fish out of water (Waterbowl 2012)
Winner Thrud 2019!
DAddenbrooke
Rookie
Rookie

Post by DAddenbrooke »

mawph wrote:I'm very much in favour of +AG wolves. They go very well, I've found.

For Flesh Golems, I'd probably have passed up the double for a first roll too. I would just have likely taken Guard as first skill (then block, then MB). With Stand Firm and ST4, they're the rocks of the formation, so boring skills first really. I'd potentially take dodge before Block, but definitely guard first. ST4, Guard, SF is a nice combo.
Thanks for the reply :)

Yes, I think the AG4 on the wolf opens up some play options and makes it a threat in other ways. Block may have immediately made him do his "job" better, but long term I think it is the way to go.

I went for Block on the FG because it seemed I could do with a bit more ASAP on the team and also because it seemed it would help him in future leveling, it's probably not often I am going to be able to feed them a touchdown. I guess my choices aren't set in stone as I haven't got to my next game or posted my updated list yet, just done the rolls in the presence of another player.

Any other thoughts from anybody? Especially on the Skaven matchup. I was thinking take out his RO fast if I can (but don't get myopic about it) as it is about the only thing stopping me having my way in the midfield, shoe any gutter runner that sticks it's nose out, and surf anything he's foolish enough to put near the sides.

DAddenbrooke
Rookie
Rookie

Post by DAddenbrooke »

Hi,

Had the match against the Skaven, went well with a 3-1 victory where I picked up a level up for the Ghoul and one of the Wights.

Normal rolls for both, any thoughts on skill ups? I was thinking Block for the Ghoul and Guard for the the Wight, other options being Wrestle or Sure hands for the Ghoul, and Mighty Blow for the Wight.

Digger Goreman
Legend
Legend
Location: Atlanta, GA., USA: Recruiting the Walking Dead for the Blood Bowl Zombie Nation

Post by Digger Goreman »

Ghoul: sure hands, block, fend or wrestle

Wight: mighty blow before guard. MiB gains points faster, while guard will help others but slow spp's for the wight.

LRB6/Icepelt Edition: Ah!, when Blood Bowl made sense....
"1 in 36, my Nuffled arse!"
mawph
Super Star
Super Star

Post by mawph »

For the wight, I'd agree with MB first. It also fits with my above strategy of Guard first on the Golems :)

With your Golem going with block you might find yourself under strength in the blocking game, so you'll have to weigh the benefits to the Wight of MB against the team's immediate need for Guard.

Blackshirt Hunter Extraordinaire (2004)
Fish out of water (Waterbowl 2012)
Winner Thrud 2019!
El_Jairo
Veteran
Veteran

Post by El_Jairo »

mawph wrote:For the wight, I'd agree with MB first. It also fits with my above strategy of Guard first on the Golems :)

With your Golem going with block you might find yourself under strength in the blocking game, so you'll have to weigh the benefits to the Wight of MB against the team's immediate need for Guard.
I understand the logic here, with Guard SF being a good synergy on itself and for giving sideline support into a crowd surf possibilities for your WW.
Yet, doesn't the Golem suffer from slower development when he lacks block? Especially if he has guard, you would avoid making blocks if you don't want or have a TRR to cover for his lack of block.
So I would see it a logical step to give the first Golem to level guard, and the second Block first.

On Wights, I would consider MB for the first level and guard for the second. As you need as much guard as you can get and having MA 6 and AG 3 on that guard piece can work out wonders in defense and offense.

For now I would stick with MB on the Wight and I would pick up guard if I know there are no wood elves in the near future. Sure hands is crucial yet block has so much allround value I don't see the case for forgoing it. You don't start with loads of block on the team anyway.