(Un-)Living NecroTacticum: Necros vs the world of Blood Bowl

Want to know how to beat your opponents, then get advice, or give advice here.

Moderators: Valen, TFF Mods

Digger Goreman
Legend
Legend
Location: Atlanta, GA., USA: Recruiting the Walking Dead for the Blood Bowl Zombie Nation

Re: (Un-)Living NecroTacticum: Necros vs the world of Blood

Post by Digger Goreman »

My first and favorite Necros (after 27 games):

Graveyard Gothika
2 rookie zeds (recently lost a 31 point MVP hog)
1 zeds guard
1 zeds block, dauntless
1 zeds kick

1 ghoul block
1 ghoul rookie

1 wight guard
1 wight guard, dodge

1 golems block
1 golems block, guard

1 wolf blodge, MiB, SS, +av
1 wolf +Ag (recent replacement for identical wolf as above)

18 wins, 4 ties, 5 losses

Tabletop League

Reason: ''
LRB6/Icepelt Edition: Ah!, when Blood Bowl made sense....
"1 in 36, my Nuffled arse!"
Digger Goreman
Legend
Legend
Location: Atlanta, GA., USA: Recruiting the Walking Dead for the Blood Bowl Zombie Nation

Post by Digger Goreman »

Digger Goreman wrote:My first and favorite Necros (after 27 games):

Graveyard Gothika
2 rookie zeds (recently lost a 31 point MVP hog)
1 zeds guard
1 zeds block, dauntless
1 zeds kick

1 ghoul block
1 ghoul rookie

1 wight guard
1 wight guard, dodge

1 golems block
1 golems block, guard

1 wolf blodge, MiB, SS, +av
1 wolf +Ag (recent replacement for identical wolf as above)

18 wins, 4 ties, 5 losses

Tabletop League
Aahz had taunted me for a month, telling me how Dr Lucky's Human team (half of the upgrade rolls being stat increases, with three 8ma, strip ball blitzers and a 4Ag ogre) had decimated some team of his and how I shouldn't stand a chance against it.... Happens my above team was only 50k underdog, so I brought Graveyard Gothika out of retirement!

Kicked to him, sorted out the riot and turned a failed pick up into a defensive touchdown.... Kicked to him, knicked a failed catch with one wight, handed off to the other and passed to the rookie ghoul for a second defensive td at the half.... By the half my wolfs and golems had removed ALL his blitzers (BH, MNG, Niggling, and -Ag) along with 2 more injuries in the second half (and one done to himself on a failed dodge).... Took my time scoring a turn 13 trifecta and shut down his last drive with a third deep kick!

Rookie ghoul took Leader on a double 6 (knew I should've started with the wolf)....
Blodge wight took MiB....
Ag4 wolf takes improved armor....

Dropping RR to 2... team value 180....

The 19th win was tres sweet!!!

Genghis
Experienced
Experienced

Post by Genghis »

Not sure if you've answered previously, but... Digger, how many Zeds do you run once you've got the full allotment of positionals?

I'm wavering between 5 and 6... depending on how many casualties I gave up in my previous game. :P

Will drink beer for food.

The Tragically Hit - Amorical Cup '17 Team Champions
Best Defense - Underworld Cup '16

Digger Goreman
Legend
Legend

Post by Digger Goreman »

I almost always run with 5 zeds, just like Gothika... one kicker, one reserve, and three on the line....

swilhelm73
Star Player
Star Player

Post by swilhelm73 »

Genghis wrote:Not sure if you've answered previously, but... Digger, how many Zeds do you run once you've got the full allotment of positionals?
:P
Doesn't it come down to the opposition and your strategy for the game?

If you are playing a killer chaos team you might need bodies, a high TV elf team you might need foulers, and against other have 13, or even 12 players might be enough.

mawph
Super Star
Super Star

Post by mawph »

Is leader ever a consideration on a doubles for Necros, or would you likely use that roll for a normal progression type skill, unless late in a player's development?

This is an incredibly general question, so not related to a specific player/team. I'm just attempting to weigh up the value of 40k TV saving against a 'useful' skill. My thoughts being Ghouls are too fragile, all other players are likely to have better skill selections unless they've already got 3 or 4 skills.

Blackshirt Hunter Extraordinaire (2004)
Fish out of water (Waterbowl 2012)
Winner Thrud 2019!
Digger Goreman
Legend
Legend

Post by Digger Goreman »

Gothika only needs one ghoul on the field in most cases, and they are a higher end team, so leader on an undeveloped ghoul is fine (and their treasury is nearly half a million).... Even if he dies, he will be replaced by a new ghoul and a reroll....

On a new team where everyone is unskilled... hard to say.... But not leader....

swilhelm73
Star Player
Star Player

Post by swilhelm73 »

mawph wrote:Is leader ever a consideration on a doubles for Necros, or would you likely use that roll for a normal progression type skill, unless late in a player's development?
The problem is only 6 players regularly get enough SPP for this to be a concern. You can make a case for the Ghouls, but only really at higher levels...

WWs: Doubles should be MB and then PO

Build target: Block, MB, PO, SS, Dodge, Tackle/JU/Dauntless...no room for leader

WIs: Strong case for Dodge as a first double since that will give you a mobile guard....

Build Target: Guard, Dodge, SF, MB, Tackle, Grab/PO...could make a case for leader as a last skill...

GHs:

Build Target1: Block, SH, Tackle, SS, Kick/Leader?
Build Target2: Wrestle, Tackle, SS, Kick/Leader?

Digger Goreman
Legend
Legend

Post by Digger Goreman »

Swilhelm has it right.... Leader is NOT an optimal skill for an up and coming team... or for any particular player, even giving up guard on a spare zed is questionable.... I would also rather have dodge on a golem's doubles....

I think Gothika is the only of the infinite Necro teams I've played to have a leader.... An experiment and definitely a luxury....

squirrelfanatic
Experienced
Experienced

Post by squirrelfanatic »

Hey all, it's been some time since I've last posted here. Sorry for the lack of participation, I was busy trying to improve my Necro-Fu. With mixed results. I lost a couple players, recruited some new faces (some of those from other teams, eheheh) and managed to level up one or two of the old brigade. Here's the current roster:

Wolf #1 - Blodge, MB, Sidestep
Wolf #2 - n/a
Golem #1 - Block, Guard
Golem #2 - Block, Guard
Wight #1 - Guard, Dodge
Wight #2 - n/a
Ghoul #1 - Block, Tackle, Sure Hands
Ghoul #2 - Guard
Zombie #1 - n/a
Zombie #2 - Wrestle, normal roll pending
Zombie #3 - n/a
Zombie #4 - Dirty Player, Block
Zombie #5 - n/a
Zombie #6 - n/a

TV is 1720 after skilling up.

Amongst the recent losses were my Block/Tackle Wolfie, the Guard/Block Zombie, a Wight with Guard and my Kicker Zombie. Nothing too tragic, but I certainly felt the loss of every positional in the following games. Currently, I am making my way through the next season of my league, with some interesting match-ups coming up. For one, there is a halfway beaten-up Skaven team with a 16 player roster and a coach that has a habit of blitzing with his Rat Ogre (good to know I guess). And then there is a Woodelf team with some ridiculous +stat players. Well, there surely are even weirder teams out there, but for me, two Wardancers, one with +AG, one with +ST, are sufficient for now. Also, a +MV Catcher, that's one to look out for. First time facing either race, too.

My plan for both matches goes towards caging up and taking some lessons in positional play. That's always something that I need to work on anyway, so I guess it's as good an opportunity as any to get some practice. Good thing there's been a new issue of The Grotty Little Newspaper over on FUMBBL that has a brief article on just that topic (also featured: sann with a report on putting TT content up on youtube, good to see that project's still going!).

As always, I'd be happy to hear some opinions, either on dealing with silly AG4 teams or the one pending normal roll on the Wrestle Zombie (I was thinking Tackle since I've recently lost my tackling Werewolf).

Edit: Speaking of playing against Woodelves, I found this match particularly interesting, mainly due to the Necros' defensive play in the first half. Will try to keep that in mind for future use. :wink:

squirrelfanatic
Experienced
Experienced

And that's a 0-2 loss to the Skaven. Pouring Rain that stuck around during all of my drives gave me some big issues. I also wasn't able to remove the Gutterrunners (he even only had 3 of them to his disposal) and probably made some poor positional errors. While I don't like crying over failed rolls, there was this one failed dodge into the open with my Dodge Werewolf which would have given me an almost certain TD.

Oh well. Woodelves up next, 150TV worth of inducements. Wizard, possibly? To my eyes, that looks more interesting than a bribe and babes, but maybe people might disagree?!?

Dr. Von Richten
Super Star
Super Star

Post by Dr. Von Richten »

squirrelfanatic wrote:And that's a 0-2 loss to the Skaven. Pouring Rain that stuck around during all of my drives gave me some big issues. I also wasn't able to remove the Gutterrunners (he even only had 3 of them to his disposal) and probably made some poor positional errors. While I don't like crying over failed rolls, there was this one failed dodge into the open with my Dodge Werewolf which would have given me an almost certain TD.

Oh well. Woodelves up next, 150TV worth of inducements. Wizard, possibly? To my eyes, that looks more interesting than a bribe and babes, but maybe people might disagree?!?
Wizard. Always the Wizard.

Digger Goreman
Legend
Legend

Post by Digger Goreman »

So, let's get back into "building the perfect beast"....

This will be an academic and controlled exercise in that we won't be rolling dice, but creating our Perfect Teams according to given parameters....

Part one:

Create your Necro team with 1 million gold....
Assign 5 normal skills (no more than two to a player)

Zombie Monotechnic
4 zombies
1 zombie w kick
2 wights
2 golems
2 blodge werewolves
(2 rerolls)

I believe that blodging werewolves are essential for stability and kick allows early exploitation of blitzes and poor positioning by offenses....

Your turn....

squirrelfanatic
Experienced
Experienced

Dr. Von Richten wrote:Wizard. Always the Wizard.
Thought as much. :) Will go with that then.

Next question would be whether to try and claw his Treeman down. The team has one and apparently uses it mostly for support play with Guard and Grab. No Block on it, so keeping a Zombie near it might be enough. Getting 2D blocks on the fella will require quite a bit of assists which I might actually get on my drive, but then I'd probably have a bunch of players out of position. Maybe I'll keep that for later if I manage to get the upper hand.

Edit: Digger, I'm not sure there is something like an optimal Necro team with so few improvements available. Basically all positionals desperately need 1-2 skills to get the team going, in my opinion. If I was forced to come up with something I'd probably forego Kick and Dodge on one of the Wolves for Block on a FG or Guard on a Wight, maybe take a Ghoul and give him Sure Hands instead. Wouldn't feel comfortable playing against most other teams with the same TV/amount of skills.

mawph
Super Star
Super Star

Post by mawph »

squirrelfanatic wrote:
Dr. Von Richten wrote:Wizard. Always the Wizard.
Thought as much. :) Will go with that then.

Next question would be whether to try and claw his Treeman down. The team has one and apparently uses it mostly for support play with Guard and Grab. No Block on it, so keeping a Zombie near it might be enough. Getting 2D blocks on the fella will require quite a bit of assists which I might actually get on my drive, but then I'd probably have a bunch of players out of position. Maybe I'll keep that for later if I manage to get the upper hand.
I'd absolutely say ignore the tree. They're there as a distraction. Attempt to pick off the elves then ignore the tree some more until he has no threat left at all :)

Blackshirt Hunter Extraordinaire (2004)
Fish out of water (Waterbowl 2012)
Winner Thrud 2019!