(Un-)Living NecroTacticum: Necros vs the world of Blood Bowl

Want to know how to beat your opponents, then get advice, or give advice here.

Moderators: Valen, TFF Mods

Jip
Super Star
Super Star

Re: (Un-)Living NecroTacticum: Undead vs the world of Blood

Post by Jip »

Digger Goreman wrote:It depends … if you have block, you stay up. Whereas, if you have wrestle, your mental gears start grinding: Is it your offensive turn? Must your turn continue? Will the positional hole create a problem for you (or him)? Do you really want his turn to continue? Can you stop his blitz? Will you, can you, sack the ball carrier?
All very valid points, cheers. I'm only about 20/30 games in on tabletop and/or FUMBBL, so still learning. However, when I'm on defence, my linemen tend to be facing the opposition's toughest players on the LoS, so I'd rather their stronger pieces have to get back up again next turn than keep a lino standing to get pummelled again.

Last night I managed to skill up a lineman who already had Block, with Wrestle. So now I've got the choice if the dice give me Both Down!

Reason: ''
Aspiring to improve on mid-table mediocrity, over in the SAWBBL.

Fancy an actual one-dayer? Check out The Coffee Cup.

Looking at attending your first tournament? Have a read of this.
Digger Goreman
Legend
Legend
Location: Atlanta, GA., USA: Recruiting the Walking Dead for the Blood Bowl Zombie Nation

Re: (Un-)Living NecroTacticum: Undead vs the world of Blood

Post by Digger Goreman »

Jip wrote: Last night I managed to skill up a lineman who already had Block, with Wrestle. So now I've got the choice if the dice give me Both Down!
The "wags" would say there is no synergy in that combo. Please let me know his performance. I don't mind the wags being wrong :)

LRB6/Icepelt Edition: Ah!, when Blood Bowl made sense....
"1 in 36, my Nuffled arse!"
Digger Goreman
Legend
Legend
Location: Atlanta, GA., USA: Recruiting the Walking Dead for the Blood Bowl Zombie Nation

Re: (Un-)Living NecroTacticum: Necros vs the world of Blood

Post by Digger Goreman »

Maverick wrote:I have had the same issue with werewolves, just ask my league mates I have about 20 different models
I got the same problems… :P

Over 2 1/2 years after Maverick's post, I thought I had settled on a compromise on using the old standards of Lon Chaney and Slarga Foulstrike. I allowed myself to be seduced, this year, by fantastic pics of a Hairwolf and Dean the Spleen… both turning out, easily, to be citadel ogre sized (second edition). However, along with the Hairwolf, was a crazed-looking sidekick. Flopsy so impressed me, I made arrangements for a second :D

By the end of this month, I became a fan of RN Estudio and run five of their minis between Necros and Undead!

Digger Goreman
Legend
Legend

Post by Digger Goreman »

Of the three setups (anti-elf, zig & inverted zig) I'm not liking the first and last as a blitz on one of the wings, with a collapse of the line, could see multiple fairy receivers in your backfield (even against golems)….

With the zig, however, the slippery elves will need guard to go anywhere but up the middle …. I also see why one of our posters valued sidestep as first doubles on his zombies … this would plug the middle and stall any likely penetration ….

How would you arrange your players in the zig?

mattgslater
King of Comedy
Location: Far to the west, across the great desert, in the fabled Land of Comedy

Post by mattgslater »

These days I only play a Ziggurat at low TV. I'd never run an inverted Ziggurat with Necro, only a normal one; inverted Ziggurat is for when you have mobile players with positioning skills that you don't mind exposing, which is pretty much never in LRB6, unless you're just in an environment that doesn't PO much (even then, it's mostly an elf game). I guess you could waste a double on SS Zombies and then an Inverted Ziggurat makes sense, but I'd rather have Guard. For a normal Necro Ziggurat, I'd only do it if I didn't run more than 2 Weres+Ghouls on defense, as those are blitz targets and a Ziggurat can only protect 2 players (the safeties). I'd use Wights on the wings, Golems on the flanks, and Zombies midfield and on the line.

If you run max agility, or if you want to protect your Wights, you can protect 5 players with the "boat" (AKA "rule of 5") defense. Really, it depends on how developed your Wights are and whether or not your opponent can POMB.

Code: Select all

- - - -|- - z z z - -|- - - -
- - - -|- - - - - - -|- - - -
- - - -|G - - z - - G|- - - -
- - - -|- w w g w w -|- - - -

By running a "towers" defense, you can protect 4 players, and really kinda protect 6 players, if you put your Golems on the interior.

Code: Select all

- - - -|- - z z z - -|- - - -
- - - z|- - G - G - -|z - - -
- - - -|w w - - - w w|- - - -

What is Nuffle's view? Through a window, two-by-three. He peers through snake eyes.
What is Nuffle's lawn? Inches, squares, and tackle zones: Reddened blades of grass.
What is Nuffle's tree? Risk its trunk, space the branches. Touchdowns are its fruit.
Digger Goreman
Legend
Legend

Post by Digger Goreman »

Very happy to see you again, Matt… always a pleasure!

Our TT environment is usually below 150tv, though I appreciate the need for protection at higher levels ….
Definite thanks for the additional setups…..

At low levels, what do you expect to see after an elf turn one incursion? General or specific, what would be the Necros best responses?

mattgslater
King of Comedy
Location: Far to the west, across the great desert, in the fabled Land of Comedy

Post by mattgslater »

Been on FUMBBL a lot, been here less. You should try it, man. It's like Fight Club for Blood Bowl.

Try to keep them in front of you. If they run guys in deep, hit one. Forcing a quick score is almost as good as stopping the score.

What is Nuffle's view? Through a window, two-by-three. He peers through snake eyes.
What is Nuffle's lawn? Inches, squares, and tackle zones: Reddened blades of grass.
What is Nuffle's tree? Risk its trunk, space the branches. Touchdowns are its fruit.
mattgslater
King of Comedy

Post by mattgslater »

On offense, if the elves break through your line you've done something wrong. Should this happen, and it will occasionally, you should have a blitzing Wight or Wolf back deep to handle any deep players. On defense, it's not so bad: just target any breakaway players and try to force a fast TD if you can't stop one entirely.

Digger Goreman
Legend
Legend

Post by Digger Goreman »

Any advice on chorfs and dorfs, professor?

mattgslater
King of Comedy

Post by mattgslater »

Outmaneuver them, make the most of your Claws, keep your Ghouls clean?

Digger Goreman
Legend
Legend

Post by Digger Goreman »

mattgslater wrote:Outmaneuver them, make the most of your Claws, keep your Ghouls clean?
LOL! The Henny Youngman of BB :lol:

Digger Goreman
Legend
Legend

Post by Digger Goreman »

Experimenting with a new, for me, starting setup:

Voodoo Rangers
9 zombies
2 wights
2 werewolves
3 rerolls

3 games in and it would be a happy start if not for near constant nuffling at seemingly all the crucial moments....

Game 1 Win 1-0 (10k underdog) to Orcs; Cas 2-0 Werwolf gains block

Game 2 Tie 2-2 (20k overdog) to starting Chaos with one mino and 10 beastmen. Cas 1-3. Doctor Lucky has one reroll and nine dice chances to score.... On average he should've failed three times.... :pissed: Turn 16 QP fails to deny the second wolf a skill. :pissed: :pissed: Wight skills with guard and a zed is retired with the hiring of a first ghoul.

Game 3 Tie 1-1 (80k overdog) vs new Humans composed of a Thrower, 4 Catchers and 6 Linemen. Nuffle's ball breaking, heart-rendering dice rape... :roll: Failures at nearly every critical juncture! Could've been up 2-0 at the half, but could'nt dodge a werewolf into open field. :x Couldn't even tag the humie catcher without falling down.... ONE chance to win with the ghoul that scored earlier.... In true cursed "git of nuffle" style, gets downed with a 1d6 blitz (rolled a mother-elfin pow, of course) then gets fouled DEAD!!! Thanks again to the lame arse "nea" voters of the now defunct BBRC who refused apothecaries for ghouls :P So, one game per ghoul, huh? :roll: We'll try again next Wednesday with a barely afforded replacement ghoul...*sigh* Mvp to a fresh wight and no further skills.... :|

Digger Goreman
Legend
Legend

Post by Digger Goreman »

Last Wednesday was an impossibly grand night of Blood Bowl!

Voodoo Rangers II, (started with no ghouls and only one wight), previously played their innaugural to a 1-1 tie vs a Khemri side. ... -ma FG.... This night they faced Cattle Stampede: a newish Chaos team with a claw Mino. ... Owned them 3-0! Most improbably, a fresh zombie scored a casualty (dead, apothed to BH), then KILLED another beastman... THEN intercepted a pass, gfi'ed like a fool away from the LOS, survived a 2d blitz, and 1d blitz/stunned his attacker, and survived another turn to trundle in for the score! !! 9 points on the day. ... It was my Fripike Zombie model. ... One zed is out with -ma.... Newly added ghoul, a FG, and a wolf all gained block....

The original Voodoo Rangers, playing game 4, beat a fresh orc side that induced Dribblesnot. ... The Necros won 2-0, only dealing one cas while regenning 3! One WW now blodges, one blocks, and both wights have guard!!!

A good night, indeed :D

Heartsbane
Experienced
Experienced

Post by Heartsbane »

Have recently turned to necro for league and tourney play. My experience so far has been that they're a fantastic team, who really reward player skill but punish mistakes.

In tourney play, you can only get 2 rerolls if you have full positionals, and that doesn't really feel enough. Next time I think I'll run with only 1 golem and a 3rd reroll. Also, I don't think mighty blow is worth it on a wolf in a tourney format; block means they're less of a liability and get more knock downs, resulting in more injuries less fewer turn overs.

In league play, I made the mistake of starting with 2 wights, 1 ghoul, 1 were-fox, 2 golems 5 zeds and 3 rerolls. Next time I'm starting with both wolves! After 4 games, I've finally saved up enough for the second wolf. My team other than the were-fox have amassed 10 spps, getting guard for a wight. The fox however has accrued 39 spps, acquiring block, mighty blow and ag 4! Next game is against halflings, so I'm planing on letting the trees fight zeds and beating up on the little guys.

A couple of problems I haven't worked out how to resolve are the fragility of zeds. This mostly comes from my rough use of them and utter disregard for their wellbeing, but even av8 and regen doesn't keep them safe forever, and once they're zoned they struggle to get free.

Secondly, the new league rules with redrafting at the end of each season aren't going to do our expensive team any favours. With only 3-4 more games this season, I think I'm going to have to stop spending and amass gold, running the gauntlet of expensive mistakes. I don't want to not be able to hire 2 foxes, and 1 of them should be my ag 4 star who is fantastic but also going to cost me 210k (if he doesn't get to 51 spps, which will push his cost up further!)

Digger Goreman
Legend
Legend

Post by Digger Goreman »

It is a bit hard to see the zeds as "fragile", yet I agree that a piece made to suffer and take hits will not last forever with AV8. One of our members gives his zombies wrestle as a first skill and this may make them last longer. If you are directing mvps, ala LRB6 optional rules/BB2016, then the zeds will have little hope of improvement unless you sink an mvp or two into them. Wrestle also makes them interesting in opening holes against your opponent and, especially, against bigger players: -2d6 vs a stronger positional and double downs can be taken with a laugh (sometimes).