(Un-)Living NecroTacticum: Necros vs the world of Blood Bowl

Want to know how to beat your opponents, then get advice, or give advice here.

Moderators: Valen, TFF Mods

swilhelm73
Star Player
Star Player

Re: (Un-)Living NecroTacticum: Necros vs the world of Blood

Post by swilhelm73 »

I strongly favor playing two ghouls on both offense and defense. On Offense they should be carrying the ball...not your wolves or wights who have other duties.

This does mean no kicker, at least until a 5th or 6th skill on a ghoul...but the added movement and agility more then makes up for it.

Keep in mind that DPs tend to leave the pitch pretty early as well anyway, so if you receive, your DP will likely be out by the time you are kicking. :D

Reason: ''
Digger Goreman
Legend
Legend
Location: Atlanta, GA., USA: Recruiting the Walking Dead for the Blood Bowl Zombie Nation

Post by Digger Goreman »

swilhelm73 wrote:I strongly favor playing two ghouls on both offense and defense. On Offense they should be carrying the ball...not your wolves or wights who have other duties.

This does mean no kicker, at least until a 5th or 6th skill on a ghoul...but the added movement and agility more than makes up for it.
The environment I play in is Table Top league, generally less than 150k... and the concentration of this thread (though other stated formats are fine).... So I only find two ghouls defensible once you can afford them, their defenders are more capable, and only on offense as a kick zed is indispensable for defense.... Not an absolute, but one that has served me well....

At any given time I also find my ghoul/s attracting tacklers, and one ghoul is easier to screen than two....

LRB6/Icepelt Edition: Ah!, when Blood Bowl made sense....
"1 in 36, my Nuffled arse!"
Dr. Von Richten
Super Star
Super Star

Post by Dr. Von Richten »

Digger Goreman wrote: The environment I play in is Table Top league, generally less than 150k... and the concentration of this thread (though other stated formats are fine).... So I only find two ghouls defensible once you can afford them, their defenders are more capable, and only on offense as a kick zed is indispensable for defense.... Not an absolute, but one that has served me well....
You can easily give Kick to a Wrackle Ghoul as a 3rd skill; after the first two skills they don't really need much more to fulfill their duty.

swilhelm73
Star Player
Star Player

Post by swilhelm73 »

Digger Goreman wrote:
The environment I play in is Table Top league, generally less than 150k... and the concentration of this thread (though other stated formats are fine).... So I only find two ghouls defensible once you can afford them, their defenders are more capable, and only on offense as a kick zed is indispensable for defense.... Not an absolute, but one that has served me well....

At any given time I also find my ghoul/s attracting tacklers, and one ghoul is easier to screen than two....
IIRC, the second ghoul I purchased was also the last positional for the team, so I think that at low TV going one ghoul is ok.

As an aside, kick is an interesting skill for Necro. You have fast players to take advantage of a short kick that is not well covered, but you can easily also find yourself with those players out of position or worse yet isolated and fouled if you aren't careful in how you move to try and take advantage of such a scenario...

Digger Goreman
Legend
Legend
Location: Atlanta, GA., USA: Recruiting the Walking Dead for the Blood Bowl Zombie Nation

Post by Digger Goreman »

Yeah, I think we are pretty much on the same page.... In a game where I score three + TDs, two or more almost always come from defensive turnovers.... Being able to take advantage of a setup flaw is golden.... Kick is crucial to that....

squirrelfanatic
Experienced
Experienced

Post by squirrelfanatic »

So, my game against the Darkelves went 2-2, not really an awesome result but then again I am happy to not have taken a loss given how the game went. The DEs decided tor receive and started to make their way down the side of the pitch, pretty much a dream scenario for my guys. Accordingly, I swarmed the opposition and pushed them against the line, surfing a Blitzer in the process. I continued to bash his guys during the first half, removing his Assassin and causing some injuries in the process, as well as snatching the ball and scoring a defensive TD.

Then the Elf-ness kicked in. Turns out, having 3 AG5 dudes on your team allows for a lot of BS Elf plays. :lol: Something like Dodges: 3+, 3+, 2+, 3+, 3+, 3+, 3+, 2+, 2+, 2+, 2+, 2+, 2+; Pass: 2+; Catch: 3+ into a TD. All without having to use a RR. This left the score at 1-1 at half-time. DE players continued to slowly drop one by one, which made me think that I might be able to dominate the game in the second half. Sadly, I got a Blitz! event with DE kicking to me and lose the ball. Note to self: Look into defensive setups against Elves. Some more pushing and shoving, a fresh DE lineman dies, as does a crowdsurfed rookie Witchelf (I immensely enjoy taking out these for some reason). The score is 2-2 on the DEs' turn 16 (I scored my second TD on my final turn), I put 3 Zombies on the line with as much space between them as possible, rest of the team goes to the back of the field.

At this point I was happy to have made it through the game without suffering some more Elf sillyness. And... Riot! :roll: Luckily, my opponent failed a dodge this time around, leaving me with a draw and the need for some fresh undies. Never had so much trouble stopping the offensive from slipping through the net, at times it really felt absurd to witness the plays. Just glad I listened to mawph's advice and kept the MV-busted Wrackle Zombie. That guy saved me the game on more than one occasion. He'll leave the team now though, as he's being replaced by a freshly recruited Ex-Witchelf, hopefully filling the gap he leaves.

As for team development, my rookie Wolf finally managed to reach his first skill (Block, ofc) and one of the FGs rolled a normal skill-up. I'm currently trying to decide between Grab and MB, so far I'm leaning towards the latter. My next match is against a pretty bashy Khemri side, with four developed TG on their roster (no Break Tackle though, luckily) and two killer Blitz-Ras. I'm hoping for some good old tar pit action in the centerfield with Zombies and FGs slowing down the Blitz-Ras and TGs while my Wolves and Ghouls go hunting close to the sidelines.

squirrelfanatic
Experienced
Experienced

Looking at my next match-up, I'm not sure what kind of strategy I want to go with. My opponent is a Khemri side:

- TG#1 Guard; TG#2 Guard, MB; TG#3 Guard, MB, PO, SF; TG#4 Guard, MB
- also a Blodge Thro-Ra,
- Blitz-Ra#1 Dodge, Fend, MB, PO, Tackle; Blitz-Ra#2 Guard, MB, Strip Ball, Tackle
- some Block Skeletons and one with +ST as well as one skill pending.

I know that the coach tends to run a pretty aggressive game, advancing with the TGs, blitzing with a Blitz-Ra (usually #1 to PO), then fouling with a Skeleton when the opportunity arises. From taking a look at some replays on FUMBBL, one possible way of dealing with the TGs seems to be to mark one or two up with cheap fodder and get some muscle (say, a FG, Wight) next to one of the remaining ones, then blitzing it (possibly with a Wolf) in a way that makes it difficult for the opponent to get assists in. Might still be tricky to get my hands on the Blitz-Ras. Just happy that there is no Break Tackle or Block on the TGs... Regarding inducements, my opponent is up 160TV over my guys if I make some cuts for efficiency (see below), so I think of getting that Wizard.

Any ideas/suggestions on how to deal with that nasty pile of bones?

As an update, here is my team:

Wolf #1 - Blodge, MB, Sidestep, Tackle
Wolf #2 - Block
Golem #1 - Block, Guard, [normal skill pending, possibly MB]
Golem #2 - Block, Guard
Wight #1 - Guard, Dodge
Wight #2 - Guard
Ghoul #1 - Block, Tackle, Sure Hands
Ghoul #2 - Guard
Zombie #1 - Wrestle, Tackle, -MA (will most likely be cut)
Zombie #2 - n/a
Zombie #3 - n/a
Zombie #4 - Dirty Player, Block
Zombie #5 - n/a
Zombie #6 - n/a
Zombie #7 - n/a (might get cut for TV efficiency)

Digger Goreman
Legend
Legend

Post by Digger Goreman »

Blocking golems should attack the tomb guardians aggressively (with a little help) as even single die blocks are 83% effective with block.... Mighty Blow on the golem to clean a few clocks....

The wizard is dammed useful, but that wrestle zombie could do some amusing uphill blocks with wrestle, and you might want to foul a few P.O. maggots once you get them down....

Otherwise, fast scoring and selective engagement....

squirrelfanatic
Experienced
Experienced

The Wrestle Zombie is most likely going to leave the team, my last match agains the Dark Elves already made the lack of MV show. He's nice to have around if I can get him into contact, but MV3 is just too slow for me. Also, I don't want him to eat another MVP when I could use the SPPs elsewhere, even on a fresh Zombie.

The Golems will definitely go into contact with the TGs, I'll keep them supported though. Not sure if a push result should count as effective, what I want is his dudes to be unable to move, that's why the absence of Break Tackle is so nice. Still, 50% to knock a TG down with just one assist, that's alright I guess. The Wolves will do most of the blitzing work - did I mention that two of the TGs also have AV10?

Judging from the replays I watched keeping the TGs close and clogging the opposition up can really go both ways. I've seen some amazing positional plays that left 3/4 of a Khemri team stranded miles away from the ball, but I've also seen Necro sides winning games with only 4 players left standing and stat busts on their positionals. :| I guess you can't be scared of nasty bashers if you want to win games.

Digger Goreman
Legend
Legend

Post by Digger Goreman »

Yeah, Fumbbl can be quite the steroidal environment....

squirrelfanatic
Experienced
Experienced

Digger Goreman wrote:Yeah, Fumbbl can be quite the steroidal environment....
Too bad my next opponent's team matches that description quite perfectly too! :lol:

Edit: I ended up with a draw. The game was a pretty close affair with several key plays making or breaking the match. I had the chance to score a defensive TD on T8 of the first half (my guys kicked) but failed the one GFI I needed to achieve that. All thanks to bloody Fend on a Throw-Ra! Just glad my players made it out in one peace. Well mostly, a Wight caught a Smashed Collar Bone and failed the Regen roll (of course). So back to rebuilding that guy. :lol:

Digger Goreman
Legend
Legend

Post by Digger Goreman »

Played the Grave Diggers (perpetual team) against Dr Lucky's Chaos team with for MiB/PO players, but lacking block as he had expressly gone for the aforementioned combo on every player.... I beat the team when playing around the 170 range with Graveyard Gothika, but this team came in leaner after ditching some rerolls and losing a kicker....

The Grave Diggers are an unusual team that can't help but bury their positionals and raise zombies as replacements.... So we took to the field with:

Zed DP 7spp
Zed kick, block, wrestle 35spp
Zelf 2spp
Zelf block 12spp
Zotter 0spp
Zed 4spp
Zhoul 0spp

Ghoul block, fend, SH, 41spp
Wight guard, stand firm 26spp
Flesh Golem block 9spp
Flesh Golem 0spp
Werewolf block, MiB 24spp
Werewolf MiB 12spp

He had two journey beast....

I played depth and contained isolated and passing threats, killing one of the journey beasts, while fouling out my DP zed for a mere stun.... My non block Wolf isolated the ball carrier, with zombie help and, despite tripping, picked his sorry carcass off the ground, recovered the ball and raced downfield to score.... Up 1-0, first half....

Second half, Nuffle arrived, Dr Lucky's luck kicked in, he got a blitz on the kick off that naturally scattered to the los on the wing (despite not having kick) caught the ball, and every opening of mine was closed with a one or a skull.... At the last crucial juncture, I single die blitzed with a wolf on his ball carrier and could have pushed him into the end zone, giving me two turns to try and win the game.... Heck, no! I elected to push him sideways and, of course, rolled a skull for the second block, stunning my wolf.... He easily stalled a turn and assured the tie....

Elfin Nuffles :pissed:

The perverse fans awarded the MVP to the early fouled out DPer....
Non block Wolf gained block, now having 17spp; my wight luckily regenned, then completed a pass on turn 16; block and regenn did the other Wolf, and a zombie, no good as they were both badly hurt....

So despite the callous dicing, the grave diggers came out slightly better as a team.... I released two no spp zeds and hired a replacement wight.... The team is only short one positional (a ghoul)....

Better luck next time....

Genghis
Experienced
Experienced

Post by Genghis »

Current season is not going particularly well. Loss to humans, loss to Khemri, draw with Chorfs. Skilled Zombies are marked men... lost a Block Z and a Guard Z already. Ghouls are not being particularly effective at anything so far.

The rest of the team is progressing decently though.

So... after six and a half seasons and three teams, I finally rolled boxcars on a skill up... on a Fleshie, no less!

Also raised my first Zombie after 10 games with this crew. Had a kill earlier in the season against Khemri, so no new recruit there.

Team looks as follows:

Flesh Golem - Block (7)
Flesh Golem - +ST (6)
Wolf - Block/Dodge (22)
Wolf - Block/Dodge (18)
Wight - +AG/+MV (17)
Wight - Guard/MiB (17)
Ghoul - (3)
Ghoul - (0)
Zombie - Block (7)
Zombie - Kick (7)
Zombie - (5)
Zombie - (0)
Zombie - (0)
Zobgob - (0)

3 RR
10 FF
50k Banked

Will drink beer for food.

The Tragically Hit - Amorical Cup '17 Team Champions
Best Defense - Underworld Cup '16

Digger Goreman
Legend
Legend

Post by Digger Goreman »

Should be hilarious when that big golem gets guard.... :D

One too many zeds for my taste, but they do tend to leave on a regular basis... 8av and not only do they constantly get line and marker duty, they can't rely on dodging away....

I'm impressed your wights are keeping pace with your weres.... No doubt the Ag wight its your ball fetcher.... Suggest feeding the ghouls just enough for wrestle on both and make them sackers....

10ff? You've had some good times....

Genghis
Experienced
Experienced

Post by Genghis »

Digger Goreman wrote:Should be hilarious when that big golem gets guard.... :D

One too many zeds for my taste, but they do tend to leave on a regular basis... 8av and not only do they constantly get line and marker duty, they can't rely on dodging away....

I'm impressed your wights are keeping pace with your weres.... No doubt the Ag wight its your ball fetcher.... Suggest feeding the ghouls just enough for wrestle on both and make them sackers....

10ff? You've had some good times....
Our league teams start with 5ff at creation.

I'll likely get rid of a Zed before the next match. I went into the last one with 5, and came out with 6, after buying one to get back to 5. :roll: I've played the more developed teams already. The ones left are all under 1200... Norse, Lizards, Dark Elves, Humans, and Skaven.

Will drink beer for food.

The Tragically Hit - Amorical Cup '17 Team Champions
Best Defense - Underworld Cup '16