Help with Humans

Want to know how to beat your opponents, then get advice, or give advice here.

Moderators: Valen, TFF Mods

Overhamsteren
Veteran
Veteran

Re: Help with Humans

Post by Overhamsteren »

Would definitely fire the -AV player, does he even have any spp?

I think 12 players+apo is enough at this stage, if you want more catchers...well then buy another catcher. :D

2 Throwers instead of another lineman is probably ok, you get a lot for 20k, I want to try 2 throwers it but since I made that decision they just keep dying on me. :P

Guess you could build them like:

Running Thrower: +ST, block, tackle, fend, leader(doubles dodge, sidestep)
Passing Thrower: accurate, kick of return, safe throw (doubles strong arm)

And only play the passing thrower in you own drives.

Reason: ''
there is Nuffle, always in my lawn
peering through my keyhole
wanting to touch my low hanging fruit
Rewslaun
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Rewslaun »

The -AV player does not have any SPP.

mattgslater
King of Comedy
Location: Far to the west, across the great desert, in the fabled Land of Comedy

Post by mattgslater »

Always fire any player with permanent injuries unless either you really desperately need their skill-set, or they have something so special it's worth the hit. These conditions, they are rare. Generally I think of 51-68 as all "dead" results.

What is Nuffle's view? Through a window, two-by-three. He peers through snake eyes.
What is Nuffle's lawn? Inches, squares, and tackle zones: Reddened blades of grass.
What is Nuffle's tree? Risk its trunk, space the branches. Touchdowns are its fruit.
burgun824
Legend
Legend

Post by burgun824 »

mattgslater wrote:Always fire any player with permanent injuries unless either you really desperately need their skill-set, or they have something so special it's worth the hit. These conditions, they are rare. Generally I think of 51-68 as all "dead" results.
I have a bum knee. Does my niggling injury make me "dead" to you, Matt? :(

mattgslater
King of Comedy
Location: Far to the west, across the great desert, in the fabled Land of Comedy

Post by mattgslater »

No, but it does make you a coach rather than a player. :P Take your 50,000 gp and get off my pitch, Burgy!

What is Nuffle's view? Through a window, two-by-three. He peers through snake eyes.
What is Nuffle's lawn? Inches, squares, and tackle zones: Reddened blades of grass.
What is Nuffle's tree? Risk its trunk, space the branches. Touchdowns are its fruit.
JaM
Legend
Legend

Post by JaM »

:lol: 'King of Comedy' indeed..!

Oly1987
Emerging Star
Emerging Star

Post by Oly1987 »

With a ST4 thrower it changes your style of player, i'd possibly run with 0-1 catcher now as you'll run the ball a lot and concentrate on your blitzers and throwers, replace the lino and hire a 12th player. A good core of blitzers is the key to success

4 catchers and a thrower with hail mary pass, what could possibly go wrong?
mattgslater
King of Comedy

Post by mattgslater »

Oly1987 wrote:With a ST4 thrower it changes your style of player, i'd possibly run with 0-1 catcher now as you'll run the ball a lot and concentrate on your blitzers and throwers, replace the lino and hire a 12th player. A good core of blitzers is the key to success
This. ST4 Thrower = awesome run game, 12th man is huge. I'd definitely want a Catcher, though. One is enough, but that kind of mobility is humongous. Block, Dauntless, Side Step, Diving Tackle, retire; doubles is Guard, all stats welcome. The best thing about Catchers is how much they love stat buffs: Humans with a statty Catcher are a very different beast.

Humans are my favorite race. Here are some of the different teams I run on FUMBBL:

Tight and trim "rule-of-five" team.
Heavy-rolling Ogre build (going through a "working rebuild" after a crash).
League team.
All Linemen (and beastly lol).

babass
Super Star
Super Star

Post by babass »

mattgslater wrote:Always fire any player with permanent injuries unless either you really desperately need their skill-set, or they have something so special it's worth the hit. These conditions, they are rare. Generally I think of 51-68 as all "dead" results.
i won't fire a saurus or a momie or even a black orc who get a "57" (-1Agi...)

mattgslater
King of Comedy

Post by mattgslater »

babass wrote:
i won't fire a saurus or a momie or even a black orc who get a "57" (-1Agi...)
Yeah, that's an exception, an AG hit on an AG1-2 player. Also an MA hit on a ST-buffed player or something. But AV, niggle and ST, all are the end of the line.

Rewslaun
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Rewslaun »

Can I ask why no one seems to encourage going the 4 catcher route? Only having one MA 8 piece seems like a waste when I have access to 4 of them. Shouldn't I be using my speed to the fullest against slow teams?

burgun824
Legend
Legend

Post by burgun824 »

Probably because they're expensive and squishy. That's a lot of gold to throw away on a player that might not be around very long.

Perhaps if they were ST3...LIKE THEY SHOULD BE...then maybe this wouldn't be an issue.

Ahem. Excuse me. Got carried away there a bit.

Digger Goreman
Legend
Legend
Location: Atlanta, GA., USA: Recruiting the Walking Dead for the Blood Bowl Zombie Nation

Post by Digger Goreman »

Uh-huh, and if all teams were resricted to a max of 8 non-line positionals (2 max per position) AS THEY SHOULD ALL BE....

BB would be one step closer to perfection....

LRB6/Icepelt Edition: Ah!, when Blood Bowl made sense....
"1 in 36, my Nuffled arse!"
Rewslaun
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Rewslaun »

I agree that it would be much better if they had 3ST or even 8AV but without those things I think the speed is still worth it. I should also mention that I've only played about 5 games with Humans so I don't know how the roster would play out with 4 catchers long term.

Overhamsteren
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Overhamsteren »

Well to be honest I've played 68 games with humans and never had more than 2 catchers and often 1 of them is on the bench so can't really pass on any practical experience.

One thing to consider with 4 catchers is against a team with no claw you will be giving him a 3d hit on an av7 player each turn instead of a 2d hit on an av8 player and that could quickly lead to you getting outnumbered (faster than usual :P)

Also hitting back is harder with ST2 than with ST3 if you get in a scrum, which the opponent can often force with your AG3.

And it will cost you some extra team value upgrading 2-3 linemen to catchers.

That said catchers easily get blodge+sidestep and I would probably often want my opponent to focus on 1-2 skill catchers than my blitzers so it might not be the worst team build ever.

there is Nuffle, always in my lawn
peering through my keyhole
wanting to touch my low hanging fruit