Cleveland Children: Underworld advice welcome!

Want to know how to beat your opponents, then get advice, or give advice here.

Moderators: Valen, TFF Mods

mattgslater
King of Comedy
Location: Far to the west, across the great desert, in the fabled Land of Comedy

Re: Cleveland Children: Underworld advice welcome!

Post by mattgslater »

Played two more. Lost a nailbiter to a big tough Khemri team (my lightning bolts do not go well for some reason). Beat the other Underworld team. Here's a question for y'all.

What about Foul Appearance over Two Heads as a first skill on Goblins? En masse, that could be frustrating to play against, and it would help keep them on the pitch.

Reason: ''
What is Nuffle's view? Through a window, two-by-three. He peers through snake eyes.
What is Nuffle's lawn? Inches, squares, and tackle zones: Reddened blades of grass.
What is Nuffle's tree? Risk its trunk, space the branches. Touchdowns are its fruit.
mawph
Super Star
Super Star

Post by mawph »

I've actually found that goblins as blitzers are quite useful/annoying. gobbo 3+ dodges are ok (admittedly 2+dodges are nicer..) and having a horns gobbo is actually quite nice for blitzing, especially early in team development. In my tabletop team, I've got a horns, wrestle gobbo who is a handful for opposition. Next skill (which he's almost at) will be two heads (barring any other good rolls) and suddenly you've a goblin able to sack the ball carrier out of nothing.

Second gobbo will get two heads, in order to get better at taking away assists.

Blackshirt Hunter Extraordinaire (2004)
Fish out of water (Waterbowl 2012)
Winner Thrud 2019!
burgun824
Legend
Legend

Post by burgun824 »

I do hate hearing that "EWWWW" sound emanate from my speakers. I'm not convinced there aren't more useful skills though. I'll have to think on this one.

mattgslater
King of Comedy
Location: Far to the west, across the great desert, in the fabled Land of Comedy

Post by mattgslater »

I'm too conservative to take Horns first, though ultimately I'll get some. My plan was to use Gobs to cover zones, lend assists, pester the ball, mark prones. My blitzing players will tend to be Blitzers or Linerats. My Linerat tracks both start with Wrestle; if they live past that they differentiate into a kicker and a hunter.

I'd use Two Heads for positioning and the occasional shenanigan, and getting out of zones. Tackle works on dodges, so it would be a big cost saver on rerolls. I'd use Foul Appearance as a spam skill to fluster opponents and to take the edge off our attrition issues. My brain says Two Heads, but I've watched Relezite's Batman Beyond enough to see the power of Foul Appearance. The main benefit is I can put them on the line if I have more than two. Also, FA and 2H come into play about as often, and while 2H is more game-breaking FA is better for development and gives me more advantage on doubles.

I think I have it. Foul Appearance, Two Heads, toolbox for normal tracks. I run a "boat" defense, with a 303 screen in the backfield to protect five specials. The Troll "crews" the 0 tech "mast" against most opponents (Chaos maybe he rides back as a "passenger" and I run an extra Goblin), and Foul App guys at the 3-tech "prow" and "stern". First doubles is Wrestle, and doubles or 11/12 first skips Foul Appearance entirely and creates a new track (I'd love a +AG/BigHand/HailMary Gob, but that's a pipe dream at this point). Doubles on skill #2 or later is … wait for it … Guard! After Foul Appearance I take +AV on 6+4.

What is Nuffle's view? Through a window, two-by-three. He peers through snake eyes.
What is Nuffle's lawn? Inches, squares, and tackle zones: Reddened blades of grass.
What is Nuffle's tree? Risk its trunk, space the branches. Touchdowns are its fruit.
burgun824
Legend
Legend

Post by burgun824 »

I feel like I need to lay down a sick beat for that mad rap.

mattgslater
King of Comedy

Post by mattgslater »

Children are only doing okay, went through a slump. Given their high TV opposition I don't feel so bad about a 1-4-3 record: we'll put it together next season, turn some of our ties to wins.

I'm gonna slightly hijack my own thread. Been playing these guys in open Ranked, and man they are brutal. Underworld seem tailor-made for Ranked play, 'cause you can ClawPOMB all and sundry and nobody minds 'cause they're all "I'm'a nomnom yo' Goblins." I didn't apoth my #2 rat when he died, and didnt end up using the Apoth, so they could be even fatter. But I'm kinda glad I didn't 'cause he was a clone of the other guy and this team is missing a Dirty Player. I haven't rolled any doubles Goblins yet, but I have found I do prefer Foul Appearance over Two Heads. The Goblins, they take a lot of damage, and if you look at my Casualty ratio you'll see the prevalence of Badly Hurts taken: 56-48 BH, but 43-24 SI/death. So since their main job is to take hits, Foul Appearance gets a workout. And if a bunch of Goblins go up at once I can send them to the line with no wasted skills. It's really coming out well.

I just submitted them to Grotty Little Tournament X via the Fastest-to-Apply Qualifier.

burgun824
Legend
Legend

Post by burgun824 »

I have an 1800+TV Undead team and am only 1-4-3 this season, so I think you're doing okay. ;)

I have been taking some pretty brutal Nufflings at very inopportune times though.

That and I'm terrible. :oops:

mattgslater
King of Comedy

Post by mattgslater »

Children play tomorrow night. Tomorrow morning (Euro afternoon) the Renegade Stauntons play against Bullroarer4 and Ah! My Goddesses in the second round of the GLT qualifier. When Mr. Lucena skills (looks like he will soon), what do you think I should give him? Piling On? Two Heads? Guard? Frenzy? Keep in mind it's Ranked FUMBBL and I already have a ClawPOMBer.

Jimmy Fantastic
Super Star
Super Star

Post by Jimmy Fantastic »

Piling On. They are in tourney shape so put them on the back burner.

mattgslater
King of Comedy

Post by mattgslater »

Jimmy Fantastic wrote:Piling On. They are in tourney shape so put them on the back burner.
Piling On, maybe. Then I can enter them in Scheduled Smacks.