Lizardman development help needed

Want to know how to beat your opponents, then get advice, or give advice here.

Moderators: Valen, TFF Mods

el Superbeasto
Super Star
Super Star

Lizardman development help needed

Post by el Superbeasto »

Hi all,
I recently started a Lizardman team and since it’s my first time playing this team in a league, I’d appreciate some development help.

First, some general info: It’s a 6 team league with two games against each opponent, so 10 games total (plus maybe a final). The other five teams are: Ogre, Chaos, Halfling, Undead, and Chaos Dwarf. I’ve played the first three on the list (D-W-W), and next match will be Undead, then Chaos Dwarf, and then all five again in the written order.

After the third match, two of my players have their second skill coming (the rest of the team have none).
  • One is a saurus. His first skill was block and now I have to choose his second (standard) skill.
    I'm thinking: Break Tackle, Mighty Blow
  • Second one is a skink. His first skill was a double, so I chose block, and now I have to choose his second skill as well. He rolled 6+4.
    I'm thinking: +MA, Side Step, Catch
My question is, of course, what to choose? All help is appreciated. :D

Cheers!

Reason: ''
My sales thread:
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=42857
Pedda
Star Player
Star Player

Re: Lizardman development help needed

Post by Pedda »

I'd go for guard and +M

Aino
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Aino »

With ghouls next, I would be tempted to go tackle on the saurus...
In your second round against the Ogres and Halflings you may even collect enough cas to get a third skill :D

W

Fighting signature size creep ;)
el Superbeasto
Super Star
Super Star

Post by el Superbeasto »

Thanks for the fast replies, both of you. (More replies are also welcome!)
I've updated the first post with my own thoughts on the matter.
Pedda wrote:I'd go for guard and +M
I'm tempted for +MA as well (although I already have the fastest team in the league).
Regarding guard; Muscle haven't really been a problem so far (and the undead team I'm meeting is having their guard mummy MNG :lol: ).
Aino wrote:With ghouls next, I would be tempted to go tackle on the saurus...
In your second round against the Ogres and Halflings you may even collect enough cas to get a third skill :D
Tackle is definitely an option. Next opponnent has two ghouls and cash to buy one more. After that, though, I'm up against Chaos Dwarfs where MB may be more handy... As written in the top, I'm leaning a bit towards BT, though, as my sauri have a tendency to get tied up. Why can't I just choose two? or three? :roll:

My sales thread:
mzukerman
Emerging Star
Emerging Star

Post by mzukerman »

Since you have speed already, I'd go with a skill. It's also less of a hit on your team value. For the skink, I'd do side step. With your speed advantage, I'd use every square on the field.

For the saurus, I'll second guard. With all that four and five strength in the league, you'll make good use of it. Plus, it'll be harder for them to target the guard-saurus because of the block.

This is all assuming that they have somewhat similar team values.

"I reserve the right to change my predictions when they are no longer true. I am The Media." ~ Snob Costas
libloodbowl on Twitter
Long Island Blood Bowl League
Empire Cup
Pedda
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Pedda »

BT is not a bad idea. You'll otherwise run the risk of having your sauruses tied up by zombies and the likes.
Tackle is also a good choiche, but I'd go for it as a second skill with another saurus at a later stage.

Speed kills and with a block skink it's even better. I woldn't turn down this offering from Nuffle.
If you do, I don't think there's a skill better than side step (followed by diving tackle)

babass
Super Star
Super Star

Post by babass »

(the rest of the team have none).
in this case, i would put Tackle or Mighty Blow to the saurus: he is your dedicated blitzer, so try to pexe it as much as possible. (third skill, if normal simple would be MB or Tackle, because you will be facing lots of minus...)

Same for the skink, he is your dedicaded ball carrier: +MV (next skil: side step)

Smeborg
Legend
Legend

Post by Smeborg »

The best Lizzie teams I have played against always have at least one B-Tackle Saurus. Normally he's employed as a kind of sweeper (full back or safety). Without B-Tackle on the team, it's easy to just mark up the Krox and all the Saurus when you need to, making them powerless to move.

Hope that helps.

Smeborg the Fleshless
el Superbeasto
Super Star
Super Star

Post by el Superbeasto »

Pedda wrote:BT is not a bad idea. You'll otherwise run the risk of having your sauruses tied up by zombies and the likes.
Tackle is also a good choiche, but I'd go for it as a second skill with another saurus at a later stage.

Speed kills and with a block skink it's even better. I woldn't turn down this offering from Nuffle.
If you do, I don't think there's a skill better than side step (followed by diving tackle)
Smeborg wrote:The best Lizzie teams I have played against always have at least one B-Tackle Saurus. Normally he's employed as a kind of sweeper (full back or safety). Without B-Tackle on the team, it's easy to just mark up the Krox and all the Saurus when you need to, making them powerless to move.

Hope that helps.
Good to hear. Those were exactly some of my thoughts as well. :D

My sales thread:
Elyoukey
Emerging Star
Emerging Star

Post by Elyoukey »

Smeborg wrote:Without B-Tackle on the team, it's easy to just mark up the Krox and all the Saurus when you need to, making them powerless to move.
With a proper set up and if you don't get to much cas it is easy to make 2 saurus working together one blocking to free the other. But you need to think as a pack, not as individual for each saurus.

el Superbeasto
Super Star
Super Star

Post by el Superbeasto »

Elyoukey wrote:But you need to think as a pack, not as individual for each saurus.
Thanks for the reminder! See, this is one of the things I know (in theory), but have forgotten to utilise, so far. :roll:

My sales thread:
MKL
Emerging Star
Emerging Star

Post by MKL »

Smeborg wrote:The best Lizzie teams I have played against always have at least one B-Tackle Saurus. Normally he's employed as a kind of sweeper (full back or safety). Without B-Tackle on the team, it's easy to just mark up the Krox and all the Saurus when you need to, making them powerless to move.

Hope that helps.
I second that. A Saurus with b-tackle gives you options usually unthinkable. I know it as an opponent. I hate these sauri.

Paired with the fixed 3+ dodge of the skinks, you have the tools to recover from the worst situations (by the way: I'm for +mv. Speed kills)

Tritex
Legend
Legend

Post by Tritex »

Guard would be a great choice but most important is +M on the skink...hes a great scorer then and likely to get more points quickly if he keeps scoring so you can add more protective skills like sidestep and sprint too hopefully :)

Blood Bowl .. Live to play and play to live! Check out now:

www.tritex-games.co.uk
www.tritex-games.co.uk
el Superbeasto
Super Star
Super Star

Post by el Superbeasto »

Tritex wrote:[...] but most important is +M on the skink...hes a great scorer then and likely to get more points quickly if he keeps scoring so you can add more protective skills like sidestep and sprint too hopefully :)
I get what you are saying, and I'll probably end up following your advice, but my main concern is that he'll hog all the SPPs. He's the only skink with a skill-up, so far.

My sales thread:
Dr. Von Richten
Super Star
Super Star

Post by Dr. Von Richten »

el Superbeasto wrote: I get what you are saying, and I'll probably end up following your advice, but my main concern is that he'll hog all the SPPs. He's the only skink with a skill-up, so far.
Then score with your Saurus. Seriously, Skink skillups are more of a liability then an asset, particularly on 'normal' rolls. Run the ball with a Skink (unless you get a Touchback, and on High Kick, try to catch it with a Saurus as well), build a cage/screen near the opponent's endzone in such a way that at least one Saurus is un-reachable, then be prepared to spend 2-3 turns trying to hand the ball off to/pick the ball up with the protected Saurus. Don't try this against teams with Leap.