Doubles skillup on a rookie Beastman

Want to know how to beat your opponents, then get advice, or give advice here.

Moderators: Valen, TFF Mods

Dr. Von Richten
Super Star
Super Star

Doubles skillup on a rookie Beastman

Post by Dr. Von Richten »

My Chaos Team, 'Viva La Revolucion', just had another win v.s them no-good Dwarfs (yay!) and while they seem to be wearing the 2nd edition 'padded gloves' in regards to actually hurting any opponents, winning tends to come with making Touchdowns, and, quite disturbingly, that also seems to allow your players to level up. :o

Anyway, I've just had a Beasman gain his first skill, and it's a double (1+1), which always confuses me with Chaos (except on the Mino of course), since I never know what to take. Dodge? Side Step? Diving Tackle? Leader? Jump Up? Ignore for a normal skill? Not a clue. So help me out please.

Team:

1 Mino; rookie
4 Chaos Warriors 3 rookies, 1 Block
7 Beastmen; 2 Rookies, 1 Block, 1 Block/Tackle, 1 Mighty Blow, 1 +MA, 1 'Skill pending, rolled Double'

Note that this is a tabletop league with an open format where everyone has multiple teams and we play ony 1 or 2 games a month, so a skill choice based on long term plans isn't going to be very useful. Also, the opposition is all over the place, and pretty much every type of team is represented multiple times.

Reason: ''
Smeborg
Legend
Legend

Re: Doubles skillup on a rookie Beastman

Post by Smeborg »

I have found over the years that Beastmen and Chaos Warriors do very well with Dodge. It helps in so many situations. Chaos teams with a sprinkling of Dodge seem to always perform better. I am more wary of them as an opponent.

Hope that helps.

Smeborg the Fleshless
mattgslater
King of Comedy
Location: Far to the west, across the great desert, in the fabled Land of Comedy

Post by mattgslater »

Dodge or ignore, and commit to a permanent policy of doing the same for any player who doesn't have Block + MB + Tackle (Jump Up in that case).

What is Nuffle's view? Through a window, two-by-three. He peers through snake eyes.
What is Nuffle's lawn? Inches, squares, and tackle zones: Reddened blades of grass.
What is Nuffle's tree? Risk its trunk, space the branches. Touchdowns are its fruit.
DixonCider
Super Star
Super Star

Post by DixonCider »

I like dodge on beastmen and side step on chaos warriors

babass
Super Star
Super Star

Post by babass »

Dodge or leader (how team rerolls do you have actually?)

mattgslater
King of Comedy
Location: Far to the west, across the great desert, in the fabled Land of Comedy

Post by mattgslater »

Leader lets you save 30k TV, yes, but it impacts your game on the ground because you have to protect a guy you otherwise would happily expose, and doesn't give any tangible benefit, just inducement value or opposition quality. Also, in a slow format it puts you one skill behind the curve on a team with a very long power curve. Leader is a great skill for a Skaven or Orc Thrower, saves a ton of cash on a skill pick that wasn't really valuable to begin with.

I like the idea of SS Warriors, even if it's not what I do. Side Step, Diving Tackle, Dodge, Jump Up, there's lots of great Warrior doubles at all levels of development, and the normal skills are also so good you can ignore them all. Tons of options.

What is Nuffle's view? Through a window, two-by-three. He peers through snake eyes.
What is Nuffle's lawn? Inches, squares, and tackle zones: Reddened blades of grass.
What is Nuffle's tree? Risk its trunk, space the branches. Touchdowns are its fruit.
DixonCider
Super Star
Super Star

Post by DixonCider »

mattgslater wrote:Leader lets you save 30k TV, yes, but it impacts your game on the ground because you have to protect a guy you otherwise would happily expose, and doesn't give any tangible benefit, just inducement value or opposition quality. Also, in a slow format it puts you one skill behind the curve on a team with a very long power curve. Leader is a great skill for a Skaven or Orc Thrower, saves a ton of cash on a skill pick that wasn't really valuable to begin with.

I like the idea of SS Warriors, even if it's not what I do. Side Step, Diving Tackle, Dodge, Jump Up, there's lots of great Warrior doubles at all levels of development, and the normal skills are also so good you can ignore them all. Tons of options.
SS only because of guard once Block is on the chaos warriors

Dr. Von Richten
Super Star
Super Star

Thanks for all the replies! :D

I have 3 Rerolls (started out with the typical 4 CW, 7 BM, 3 RR build, added only an Apo and the Mino, aside from replacements), and I never liked Leader much anyway, for reasons similar to what mattgslater said, so that one's out. I was considering SideStep mainly for the 'now I'm in front of your cage, now I'm in your cage' shenanigans, but I can see how a CW is significantly better at that task.

So Dodge it is, and may he be the bane of all Elfs out there! 8)

swilhelm73
Star Player
Star Player

Post by swilhelm73 »

If you are only concerned with the short term the obvious choice is block. No other skill will be of as much value on a rookie BM.

Now, when you start looking longer term that obviously isn't true...a blodge player is quite a good running goat/safety.

But expect it to take a while before the dodge player will get his next level...

Genghis
Experienced
Experienced

Post by Genghis »

Dr. Von Richten wrote:I was considering SideStep mainly for the 'now I'm in front of your cage, now I'm in your cage' shenanigans, but I can see how a CW is significantly better at that task.
I had a Warrior with Block, Dodge, Guard, and Sidestep. He was all kinds of fun when he got next to a cage. :)

Will drink beer for food.

The Tragically Hit - Amorical Cup '17 Team Champions
Best Defense - Underworld Cup '16

mattgslater
King of Comedy

Post by mattgslater »

Carry with him, get him up to Blodge ASAP. Him and your +MA guy. After Blodge, if so lucky, get Two Heads or Sure Hands, take your pick.

stashman
Ex-Mega Star, now just a Super Star
Ex-Mega Star, now just a Super Star

Post by stashman »

Leap and then VLL

A very cool thingy!!!

Dr. Von Richten
Super Star
Super Star

mattgslater wrote:Carry with him, get him up to Blodge ASAP. Him and your +MA guy. After Blodge, if so lucky, get Two Heads or Sure Hands, take your pick.
Yes, that's the plan, more or less. Actually, I my +MA dude has gotten his second skillup, but I don't know what it is yet, since the skillup is due to the MVP, which I only realised later, so I have to wait for a witness to make the skillup roll. He'll be my ballcarrier (Block, Sure Hands, Extra Arms/Two Heads [Dodge]), the Dodge BM will become a sacker (Wrestle, Tackle Frenzy/Two Heads).

Smeborg
Legend
Legend

Post by Smeborg »

swilhelm73 wrote:If you are only concerned with the short term the obvious choice is block. No other skill will be of as much value on a rookie BM.
swil - there are obviously many different builds for Beastmen. I make a Runner the first priority. After that, whether in tournaments or leagues, I find that Wrestle is the best first skill on at least 2 Beastmen. It beats Block hands down IMO - it means they can go hunting the ball among other things.

All the best.

Smeborg the Fleshless
swilhelm73
Star Player
Star Player

Post by swilhelm73 »

Smeborg wrote:
swilhelm73 wrote:If you are only concerned with the short term the obvious choice is block. No other skill will be of as much value on a rookie BM.
swil - there are obviously many different builds for Beastmen. I make a Runner the first priority. After that, whether in tournaments or leagues, I find that Wrestle is the best first skill on at least 2 Beastmen. It beats Block hands down IMO - it means they can go hunting the ball among other things.

All the best.
There are indeed many builds for beastman...it is the appeal of the time that you can develop them how you want....however getting block on your players, especially in a low TV environment is critical. The difference between failing 1/9 of 2d blocks and 1/36 is amazing.

Wrestle is similar to block in this of course, the problem with an early wrestle build is that many of your opponents won't have block yet.