High Elf: how many Catchers?

Want to know how to beat your opponents, then get advice, or give advice here.

Moderators: Valen, TFF Mods

Dr. Von Richten
Super Star
Super Star

High Elf: how many Catchers?

Post by Dr. Von Richten »

So, I have a High Elf team (amongst many others) in our Amsterdam league, and I've gotten to the point where I could buy a 3rd catcher. the question is, should I do so, and if yes, should I do so now, or wait a bit until the rest have skilled up more?

My team is:

1 Blitzer with +MA
1 Blitzer with +AG
1 Thrower with nothing
1 Catcher with Block
1 Catcher with Wrestle
1 Lineman with Kick
1 Lineman with Guard
5 Linemen with Dodge, one of which has -MA

3RR, 1 Apo, 6 FF, 0 AC, 0 CL 100k in cash

My next match will probably be against an opponent who is exactly 150k up from me, so I will refrain from buying anything now to get a wizard as Inducement, but in the long run, how many Catchers should I have, and should I wait for the 2 I have already to skill up further before getting more rookies on the field? Also, I now have 12 players, should I keep the -MA lineman or fire him?

Reason: ''
besters
Ex-Mega Star, now just a Super Star

Re: High Elf: how many Catchers?

Post by besters »

I would replace the reduced movement lineman with a catcher. but would probably have started more anyway.

Having said that I am hopeless with High Elf in league situations.

Jimmy Fantastic
Super Star
Super Star

Post by Jimmy Fantastic »

I like 3 catchers so you can have those 3 + the blitzers fully protected and if you want a thrower too he can be half protected.

mattgslater
King of Comedy
Location: Far to the west, across the great desert, in the fabled Land of Comedy

Post by mattgslater »

I usually run 3 Catchers on a 12-player squad if I can.

What is Nuffle's view? Through a window, two-by-three. He peers through snake eyes.
What is Nuffle's lawn? Inches, squares, and tackle zones: Reddened blades of grass.
What is Nuffle's tree? Risk its trunk, space the branches. Touchdowns are its fruit.
Fassbinder75
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Fassbinder75 »

I started a league side with none (9 linemen and 2 blitzers) and replaced dead or maimed line with catchers until I had all 4. 3 or 4 is fine, I just love the speed so I go for max.

minimakeovers.wordpress.com
habasta
Veteran
Veteran

Post by habasta »

Take the third one
my Team has 11 players. One or two yourneyman each game, so i bought my third Catcher, because 3 players with MA 8 is pretty nice.
try to give your thrower accurate.
My catchers have all dodge, one MA 9, one AG 5 and one ST 4. It will run now.
The first 8 matches was a little bit difficult. But now it works.

greetings
habasta

Perhaps i take bones, no dices
Dr. Von Richten
Super Star
Super Star

Ok, so get the 3rd catcher, fire the -MA Lino

Next question: on those Catchers, 2x Block, 1 x Wrestle, or the other way around?

besters

Post by besters »

I use them to run the ball, so would go for block/dodge, I tend to take dodge first.

Rolex
Emerging Star
Emerging Star

Post by Rolex »

IMO the first 3 skills on the catchers are wrestle and 2 dodge.
Than dodge or takle on the wrestle and block on the other 2.
Only if I expected to meet a lot of takle I would take block before dodge.

When I reach 14 players I also take a couple of DP.

Jimmy Fantastic
Super Star
Super Star

Post by Jimmy Fantastic »

Block on the first two, Block or Wrestle on the third. Hope for doubles for MB and PO.
Wrestle on all Linos(unless they double for Guard first).
I wouldn't even sack the -MA guy yet in a league(unless it could make the difference for a wiz).
Just put him on the LOS till he dies or gets another perm.

mattgslater
King of Comedy
Location: Far to the west, across the great desert, in the fabled Land of Comedy

Post by mattgslater »

Jimmy Fantastic wrote:Block on the first two, Block or Wrestle on the third. Hope for doubles for MB and PO.
I wouldn't even sack the -MA guy yet in a league(unless it could make the difference for a wiz).
+1

What is Nuffle's view? Through a window, two-by-three. He peers through snake eyes.
What is Nuffle's lawn? Inches, squares, and tackle zones: Reddened blades of grass.
What is Nuffle's tree? Risk its trunk, space the branches. Touchdowns are its fruit.
Dr. Von Richten
Super Star
Super Star

Jimmy Fantastic wrote:Block on the first two, Block or Wrestle on the third. Hope for doubles for MB and PO.
Ok, thanks (also to other replies!) But wrestle on all linos?* That's 4 or 5 wrestle on the pitch (+ one on a catcher), isn't that going to weaken defensive screens/cages/etc.?

*Barring any Guard, and I presume that The Kicker should also get Block?

mzukerman
Emerging Star
Emerging Star

Post by mzukerman »

Here's a thought. After they get Block/Wrestle, how about giving those catchers leap? I did that with my woodie catchers and it was awesome. I'd completely flood the zone and there was nothing they could do about it. Of course, then my opponents got smart and started getting pass block...

"I reserve the right to change my predictions when they are no longer true. I am The Media." ~ Snob Costas
libloodbowl on Twitter
Long Island Blood Bowl League
Empire Cup
Smeborg
Legend
Legend

Post by Smeborg »

I think you need at least 3 Catchers, but would recommend 4 for resilience and their ability to dominate the whole pitch. They are the speedsters of the team. I recommend the following development system, which works well for me:

CATCHERS: Dodge, Wrestle, Tackle. Ignore doubles. They become aggressive ball-hunting Blitzers.

LINOS: Block, Dodge, Sidestep, Fend. First doubles: Guard. They are classic Linos, built for protection and early block-power.

BLITZERS: Dodge, Tackle, Sidestep, Fend (or Dodge, Sidestep, Tackle, Fend). First doubles: Guard. In practice they are not Blitzers, they are Blockers.

Wrestle is much better in your own turn and on a MA8 player than in your opponent's turn and on a MA6 player. Thus I heartily recommend giving Block to all Linos and Wrestle to all Catchers. The Catchers dominate development as they get most of the SPPs (TDs). Guard and Wrestle are not an ideal combination (although it works for me on Slann Linos), another argument in favour of Block on the HE Linos.

Hope that helps.

Smeborg the Fleshless
txapo
Star Player
Star Player

Post by txapo »

Smeborg wrote:I think you need at least 3 Catchers, but would recommend 4 for resilience and their ability to dominate the whole pitch. They are the speedsters of the team. I recommend the following development system, which works well for me:

CATCHERS: Dodge, Wrestle, Tackle. Ignore doubles. They become aggressive ball-hunting Blitzers.

BLITZERS: Dodge, Tackle, Sidestep, Fend (or Dodge, Sidestep, Tackle, Fend). First doubles: Guard. In practice they are not Blitzers, they are Blockers.
That's the key of high elf play!! Catchers are really mega blitzers!! And Blitzers are jacks for all trades! Get as many catchers as you can, they will become experienced quite soon and will be deadly as they arrive anywhere! A high elf team that does not have it's eight positionals is not using his full capacity (yes I even play with two throwers).