Rookie undead Ghoul rolls double

Want to know how to beat your opponents, then get advice, or give advice here.

Moderators: Valen, TFF Mods

Dr. Von Richten
Super Star
Super Star

Rookie undead Ghoul rolls double

Post by Dr. Von Richten »

Ok so, different league than last question: Undead team, first skill roll of the team, double (4+4) on Ghoul. Guard, Mighty Blow, or something else? And why?

The team is currently in a cup where I will play (in no particular order) vs Dwarfs, Orcs, Khemri, Halflings and Slann (and the team I played against already is Underworld); and best for will play semis and then a final, all through this, TV cannot break 1200.

Thanks already!

Reason: ''
burgun824
Legend
Legend

Re: Rookie undead Ghoul rolls double

Post by burgun824 »

Ignore for block. Ghouls are hard to keep alive and for my money I'd rather have block.

MKL
Emerging Star
Emerging Star

Post by MKL »

For me, block or guard, because there is never enough guard.
Not too keen on mighty blow because the Wolves are doing all the blitzing, and ghouls aren't fit for blocking match (there are zeds and golems for this)

Edit: by the way, since you have to keep tv below 1200, how do you plan to have the team?
Maybe Leader is worth it in such format.

connexion
Emerging Star
Emerging Star

Post by connexion »

Guard and play safe with it until it levels up again. Then block.

(Says he who had a similar situation. Ghoul's dead now.)

Digger Goreman
Legend
Legend
Location: Atlanta, GA., USA: Recruiting the Walking Dead for the Blood Bowl Zombie Nation

Post by Digger Goreman »

MKL wrote:Edit: by the way, since you have to keep tv below 1200, how do you plan to have the team?
Maybe Leader is worth it in such format.
Given the limited end of season, I agree....

If earlier in the season I would actually go with MiB and block later... as a guard he will get targeted even more so....

LRB6/Icepelt Edition: Ah!, when Blood Bowl made sense....
"1 in 36, my Nuffled arse!"
MattDakka
Super Star
Super Star

Post by MattDakka »

Either Sure Hands for a ball carrier, or Block/Wrestle for a "generic" Ghoul.

Pedda
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Pedda »

I'd go guard and enjoy his services untill he dies, which will be quite soon

neverworking
Veteran
Veteran

Post by neverworking »

You seem to imply its a short format league without a future for the team so I would go block as a blodger in a league of low TV teams its very strong and hard to deal with as there will be limited tackle. It also is very TV efficient in a league with a hard cap.

If the team has some future beyond this cup and you don't anticipate TV cap issues, I would probably suggest guard and then try to level him quickly. Mighty blow is a nice consideration too. In developed leagues with side steppers lurking on the sidelines, grab is unexpected threat to these players, but I would only do this in a league where I expected to face side steppers and your TV cap league doesn't strike me as such a situation.

Jimmy Fantastic
Super Star
Super Star

Post by Jimmy Fantastic »

neverworking wrote:You seem to imply its a short format league without a future for the team so I would go block as a blodger in a league of low TV teams its very strong and hard to deal with as there will be limited tackle. It also is very TV efficient in a league with a hard cap.

If the team has some future beyond this cup and you don't anticipate TV cap issues, I would probably suggest guard and then try to level him quickly.
Yep this is right.
Some people are recommending MB, but that is old style thinking.
Your Wights can get MB PO easily which makes MB on a slightly faster Ghoul basically pointless.

Axtklinge
Legend
Legend

Post by Axtklinge »

neverworking wrote:You seem to imply its a short format league without a future for the team so I would go block as a blodger in a league of low TV teams its very strong and hard to deal with as there will be limited tackle. It also is very TV efficient in a league with a hard cap.
Very valid point, and would probably be my choice.
In other cases Guard might be an interesting choice, but considering the size of the competition and the cap...

Dr. Von Richten
Super Star
Super Star

Post by Dr. Von Richten »

Ok, thanks for all the replies!

Now, one thing I need to make clear is that the team isn't just for this cup; after the cup is finished (or they've been knocked out) the team will enter the regular pool of teams to be used in our normal open league (and perhaps in the future some other cup). Also, just to be sure, the team is Undead, not Necro, so no Werewolves.

I plan to run the team without buying the 4th ghoul (for the duration of the cup), and sticking to 11 players in general. that means that even if (and that's a big if) I win every match and have my FF increase every time, I will be at TV 107 from FF alone at the final, meaning with this double I can get 5 more (normal) skills. Should I develop better than that, it is allowed to put players on 'temporary release', which means replacing them with journeyman for as long as you need to keep TV at 1200 or below, then getting them back.

So with that in mind I will probably go for guard and try to keep him alive! :)

Fassbinder75
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Fassbinder75 »

I don't like the idea of Guard because he will be dead faster than a Niggled Halfling. I was faced with the exact same decision a week ago and I went with Pass for a lark.

minimakeovers.wordpress.com
Jimmy Fantastic
Super Star
Super Star

Post by Jimmy Fantastic »

Fassbinder75 wrote:I don't like the idea of Guard because he will be dead faster than a Niggled Halfling.
Not necessarily.
I got Guard first skill on a Ghoul in a league on fumbbl and that Ghoul is one of 2 original team members left alive after 52 games - https://fumbbl.com/p/team?team_id=686544

MKL
Emerging Star
Emerging Star

Post by MKL »

Dr. Von Richten wrote:Also, just to be sure, the team is Undead, not Necro, so no Werewolves.
Ouch, that's me :oops: I blame lack of sleep :lol:
Dr. Von Richten wrote: Should I develop better than that, it is allowed to put players on 'temporary release', which means replacing them with journeyman for as long as you need to keep TV at 1200 or below, then getting them back.
Interesting format

MattDakka
Super Star
Super Star

Post by MattDakka »

Jimmy Fantastic wrote:
Fassbinder75 wrote:I don't like the idea of Guard because he will be dead faster than a Niggled Halfling.
Not necessarily.
I got Guard first skill on a Ghoul in a league on fumbbl and that Ghoul is one of 2 original team members left alive after 52 games - https://fumbbl.com/p/team?team_id=686544
Oh I have 2 Guard Ghouls too:
http://fumbbl.com/p/player?player_id=8476112
http://fumbbl.com/p/player?player_id=8476101
but I didn't take Guard as first skill in order to increase their survivability.