Undead desicions

Want to know how to beat your opponents, then get advice, or give advice here.

Moderators: Valen, TFF Mods

lunchmoney
Legend
Legend

Re: Undead desicions

Post by lunchmoney »

Jimmy Fantastic wrote:Guard is good for a ballcarrier.
I disagree on that statement. To make use of guard you want to stand next the opponents. Not exactly where you want your ball carrier.

Reason: ''
Hired Goon for the NAF (rep for South West England)
lunchmoneybb@gmail.com

TOs! You do not need multiple copies of rosters. It's a waste of paper.
Bribe level: good coffee.
#FlingNation find me on page 95
Jimmy Fantastic
Super Star
Super Star

Post by Jimmy Fantastic »

Amazingly enough not everything goes perfectly in every game of Bloodbowl.
People getting two players in contact with your ballcarrier happens, and having Guard helps a ton in that situation.

Fold
Experienced
Experienced

Post by Fold »

Why though? The player being hit (the ball carrier ) is not going to benefit from guard.

I ask this as a newish player and as a genuine question, not being facetious. From what I can tell, you want the guys accompanying the ball carrier to have guard while the ball carrier focusses on skills that affect the block result or help him handle the ball. From this perspective sure hands/side step seems more sensible to me.

Jimmy Fantastic
Super Star
Super Star

The ballcarrier is rarely going to get hit directly. More likely is an attack on the cage corner/screen, then marking of the cage/ballcarrier. As much guard as possible helps when tshtf.

Digger Goreman
Legend
Legend
Location: Atlanta, GA., USA: Recruiting the Walking Dead for the Blood Bowl Zombie Nation

Post by Digger Goreman »

Fold wrote:Why though? The player being hit (the ball carrier ) is not going to benefit from guard.

I ask this as a newish player and as a genuine question, not being facetious. From what I can tell, you want the guys accompanying the ball carrier to have guard while the ball carrier focusses on skills that affect the block result or help him handle the ball. From this perspective sure hands/side step seems more sensible to me.
To illustrate Johnny's point: the cage is attacked

Code: Select all

X-O
 G
X-X
Given a 1d Block with the ball carrier is chancey.... You want to use someone else to blitz off the marker, with minimum effort, and allow your cage to advance.... In this case, the ball carrier having guard allows another player (maybe even the downed cage corner who is hopefully still on the field and next to the cage breaker/invader) to blitz off the opponent with +1 St to the block....

LRB6/Icepelt Edition: Ah!, when Blood Bowl made sense....
"1 in 36, my Nuffled arse!"
Jimmy Fantastic
Super Star
Super Star

And here is an in-game example which happened today - https://fumbbl.com/FUMBBL.php?page=matc ... id=3575948

Turn 5 of the first half the orcs attacked my cage corner and if my ballcarrier had guard it would have freed up another player as I would not have had to move in a guarder to assist in the scrum.

MattDakka
Super Star
Super Star

Post by MattDakka »

-Ghoul: Guard, the reasons have been illustrated (i.e. lending an assist when your cage is sieged);

-Mummy: Dodge (then Break Tackle/Stand Firm, take your pick according to your gamestyle, both are valid skills, probably I'd take Break Tackle because it's not rare that a Mummy gets stuck in a fodder player's tacklezone and allows less predictable moves, not to mention cage breaking in desperate situations);
Tackle could be another option in place of Dodge assuming you play in a league with many blodgers, because Blodgers can bog down your Mummy when used as cage corner.
I'd take Dodge, personally.

lunchmoney
Legend
Legend

Post by lunchmoney »

hmm the Ghoul has Mighty Blow now. I dont recall actually making the choice and clicking the buttons, but went to save it this morning and there it is. One less choice to make.

Have chosen Dodge for the Mummy with the aim to be as annoying as possible. Hopefully he'll survive and gain more SPPs and get Break Tackle or get lucky again and get Sure Feet :)

lunchmoneybb@gmail.com

Itchen Masack
Ex-Mega Star, now just a Super Star

Post by Itchen Masack »

Never play undead so I'm not really qualified, but is/was Side-Step on the mummy an option? With Block and Guard already in place, reckon he'd be a nightmare if he ever got near the cage?

Although my initial though was dodge as that's one mummy which is rarely going down. And it would help with Break Tackle later on.

lunchmoney
Legend
Legend

Post by lunchmoney »

Itchen Masack wrote:Never play undead so I'm not really qualified, but is/was Side-Step on the mummy an option? With Block and Guard already in place, reckon he'd be a nightmare if he ever got near the cage?
It was an option as he rolled a double.
Itchen Masack wrote:Although my initial though was dodge as that's one mummy which is rarely going down. And it would help with Break Tackle later on.
There's what I'm going for :)

lunchmoneybb@gmail.com

Itchen Masack

Post by Itchen Masack »

I meant was it an option in your mind or indeed sensible for Undead play :D

lunchmoney
Legend
Legend

Post by lunchmoney »

Itchen Masack wrote:I meant was it an option in your mind or indeed sensible for Undead play :D
It had crossed my mind. So many options, it's a shame I can only take one of them.

lunchmoneybb@gmail.com

Jimmy Fantastic
Super Star
Super Star

I don't like SS on a Mummy.
He gets such bad normal rolls that using a double to replace one of his best normal rolls(SF) is very poor to me.
I would definitely take SF on him next so he can be an immovable roadblock. BT on a MA3 guy is not a big deal, but being uphill pushed away/otherwise outmaneuvered happens.

MattDakka
Super Star
Super Star

Post by MattDakka »

Jimmy Fantastic wrote:I don't like SS on a Mummy.
He gets such bad normal rolls that using a double to replace one of his best normal rolls(SF) is very poor to me.
I would definitely take SF on him next so he can be an immovable roadblock. BT on a MA3 guy is not a big deal, but being uphill pushed away/otherwise outmaneuvered happens.
Dodge and Break Tackle are very good, you can dodge and reposition to reform a cage/half cage, I did that many times.
Without Dodge first I would opt for Stand Firm, though.

voyagers_uk
Da Cynic
Location: Nice Red Uniforms and Fanatical devotion to the Pope!

Undead desicions

Post by voyagers_uk »

I would have suggested jump up on the mummy... Nothing scarier than a bad guy who won't stop coming back for more

Ikterus wrote: But for the record, play Voyagers_UK if you have the chance. He's cursed! :P