bull centaur first skill double

Want to know how to beat your opponents, then get advice, or give advice here.

Moderators: Valen, TFF Mods

wim
Rookie
Rookie

bull centaur first skill double

Post by wim »

Hi all,

I've just started a chaos dwarf team in our new season, and rolled double 1 for the first skill of one of my bulls. The other bull has block, and I have 2 chaos dwarfs with guard. And I'm a bit torn about what to choose. There aren't much double skills that appeal to me. The original plan was one bull with block, the other break tackle. And the second skil would be breack tackle for the block bull and vice versa. But doubles... dodge? Side step? Jump up? Or skip the double and take break tackle? I missed the mobility last couple of matches, so I'm tempted to do just that. Any thought?

Reason: ''
adhansa
Experienced
Experienced

Re: bull centaur first skill double

Post by adhansa »

I think dodge would be ok and my choice, block, BT, and sure hands down the road and you have a nice ball carrier.

Block or BT are also solid choices that are better in the short term.

MattDakka
Super Star
Super Star

Post by MattDakka »

Dodge.

stashman
Ex-Mega Star, now just a Super Star
Ex-Mega Star, now just a Super Star

Post by stashman »

Always a tough choice when it is the first skill.

Dodge

Jimmy Fantastic
Super Star
Super Star

Post by Jimmy Fantastic »

Dodge is so good on bulls it is silly.

mzukerman
Emerging Star
Emerging Star

Post by mzukerman »

Is it definitely a ball carrier? If it isn't, what about Jump Up? My bullies are getting tag teamed a lot. I'd love to be able to just step up and hit them back.

"I reserve the right to change my predictions when they are no longer true. I am The Media." ~ Snob Costas
libloodbowl on Twitter
Long Island Blood Bowl League
Empire Cup
Smeborg
Legend
Legend

Post by Smeborg »

Dodge is my normal choice for first doubles skill on a Bull. It combines beautifully with Break Tackle (which is my first normal skill choice).

The only consideration is how long your league is. If it is very short, then Dodge may not be the best choice. But if you have time to get the Bull to his 2nd and 3rd skills, then Dodge is the way to go.

Hope that helps.

Smeborg the Fleshless
wim
Rookie
Rookie

Post by wim »

Thanks for the input everybody!

We run a 6 month season at the moment where coaches can play multiple teams when they want, with some restrictions. And we allow teams to carry over to the next season, with at the moment no limits how long a team can be around. So the team will be around for a while :wink: .

Jump up is a skill I would take later in it's development, as a first skill I'm not to sure about it. To be honest I was expecting the majority would say to skip the double and take BT or block first. I didn't expect that the majority vote would be dodge, AG 2 and dodge didn't click in my mind. Mind you, we just discovered we played the whole dodge rule wrong since, well since 2008. We misread it, so we played it so that if you dodged out of two tackle zones you got a minus two modifier. Instead of dodging into tackle zones :oops:

But anyway, since I haven't got my rulebook nearby, how exactly does dodge combine with break tackle? I declare a dodge, fail it so I use a dodge reroll, fail again so declare I use breack tackle to make the roll? I remember reading something like that, but can't remember where.

mzukerman
Emerging Star
Emerging Star

Post by mzukerman »

According to the rulebook, you use Break Tackle as a part of a dodge roll. So if you use the reroll for Dodge, and haven't already used your Break Tackle skill to substitute strength for agility, then you can use it on the initial roll or dodge reroll. If you use it on the initial roll, I would surmise that you can still use it on the dodge reroll since it is technically the same action.

Break Tackle does not give you a reroll. It only let's you substitute the ability modifier (and you can make this choice *after* you have rolled your die).

(edited for completeness)

"I reserve the right to change my predictions when they are no longer true. I am The Media." ~ Snob Costas
libloodbowl on Twitter
Long Island Blood Bowl League
Empire Cup
Digger Goreman
Legend
Legend
Location: Atlanta, GA., USA: Recruiting the Walking Dead for the Blood Bowl Zombie Nation

Post by Digger Goreman »

Almost correct... the timing is ttbomk:
declare dodge and, barring tentacles, move to dodge space
roll die
if successful, continue action
if not initially successful, and break tackle will help, declare BT and continue action
if no success possible, opt for dodge reroll
etc.

LRB6/Icepelt Edition: Ah!, when Blood Bowl made sense....
"1 in 36, my Nuffled arse!"
wim
Rookie
Rookie

Post by wim »

Ah, I get it. Thanks for the clarification! Dodge it is then, and I'll try to feed him some td's to get break tackle next.

One thing though Digger Goreman, what on earth is ttbomk? Never heard of that one

MattDakka
Super Star
Super Star

Post by MattDakka »

wim wrote:Ah, I get it. Thanks for the clarification! Dodge it is then, and I'll try to feed him some td's to get break tackle next.

One thing though Digger Goreman, what on earth is ttbomk? Never heard of that one
I'd take Block as second skill, a ST 4 Blodger is hard to knock down, Block works offensively and defensively and you are going to use Block more often than Break Tackle.
Here you can see my personal skill progression:
http://fumbbl.com/p/player?player_id=8475727

wim
Rookie
Rookie

Post by wim »

Yeah, you've got a point there mattdakka. I played a CD team in our other league, and had a block bc and a break tackle bc. And now that I have a new cd team in the major league, I find I miss the mobility bt gives. But maybe I'm focusing a bit to much on my previous (although limited, three games) expierence. But you're right, a strength 4 blodger is nothing to sneeze at.

At the moment the way I play the team is picking the ball up with a hobgoblin, get him secure behind a screen and when I see the opportunity hand off to a bull and burst through for the td.

The team I played last in our major league was slann, after two seasons the marshland mudboys have the highest tv in the league, the top scorer of the league and the most loses of the league :roll: And I'm finding it a bit hard adjusting to the playstyle of the cd's

wedge22
Veteran
Veteran

Post by wedge22 »

I have a BC with Dodge and it was his 1st skill, its excellent, since then he has also managed to get the following skills in this order, Block, Sidestep, MA+1, Break Tackle, he is an amazing ball carrier and just plain annoying for my opponents.

Bloodbowl Teams for Sale
Dr. Von Richten
Super Star
Super Star

Post by Dr. Von Richten »

Take Dodge and don't look back!