Double 6 on developed Troll

Want to know how to beat your opponents, then get advice, or give advice here.

Moderators: Valen, TFF Mods

Chris
Legend
Legend

Post by Chris »

Ok, so OCC team, troll has Guard, Stand Firm and Grab. The last was an experiment that has completely failed and I regret it.
The Troll is incredible stupid and fails I reckon half his rolls. As a consequence he gets to, when he moves, stand in awkward places and get hit. Every so often I try to hit someone and he goes stupid.

Opposition is a horde of str 4 bash'ers with a smattering of normaly/elfy teams.

So... given all that, block, +1 str, pro seems to simply encourage stupidity, or something else I would never have considered (sensible suggestions only).

The rest of the team is 4 unremarkable black orcs, 1 with move 3, 3 killer blitzers, 1 with armour 8, 1 general purpose blitzer, new line orcs, a goblin and a block thrower who also needs a normal skill pick.

Leaning towards block, just to make him harder to hit as the str of the opposing teams means they can normally muster enough assists to take him down, or is a str 6 troll really a difficult obstacle?

Reason: ''
mzukerman
Emerging Star
Emerging Star

Re: Double 6 on developed Troll

Post by mzukerman »

Assuming that there is a bunch of guard in a bashy league, I don't think the strength is going to give you a lot. I'd go with the block. It'll keep him on his feet even if he's gone stupid.

"I reserve the right to change my predictions when they are no longer true. I am The Media." ~ Snob Costas
libloodbowl on Twitter
Long Island Blood Bowl League
Empire Cup
MattDakka
Super Star
Super Star

Post by MattDakka »

Block.

Fassbinder75
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Fassbinder75 »

Can't go wrong with Block, although Pro has a lot of utility on him as well.

I'd probably take the +ST if he was Underworld since it combos nicely with Tentacles.

minimakeovers.wordpress.com
MattDakka
Super Star
Super Star

Post by MattDakka »

Fassbinder75 wrote: I'd probably take the +ST if he was Underworld since it combos nicely with Tentacles.
I'd take Block anyway, because with Block the Troll is more reliable and dangerous.
Block, Claw, Tentacles is better than ST 6 Claw Tentacles, you want to hold and hurt stuff, not just holding it.

burgun824
Legend
Legend

Post by burgun824 »

Block. Then hope he rolls double 6 for his next skill too so that you can ignore it for Pro. :wink:

mattgslater
King of Comedy
Location: Far to the west, across the great desert, in the fabled Land of Comedy

Post by mattgslater »

Block.

What is Nuffle's view? Through a window, two-by-three. He peers through snake eyes.
What is Nuffle's lawn? Inches, squares, and tackle zones: Reddened blades of grass.
What is Nuffle's tree? Risk its trunk, space the branches. Touchdowns are its fruit.
voyagers_uk
Da Cynic
Location: Nice Red Uniforms and Fanatical devotion to the Pope!

Post by voyagers_uk »

Block

Ikterus wrote: But for the record, play Voyagers_UK if you have the chance. He's cursed! :P
stormmaster1
Star Player
Star Player

Post by stormmaster1 »

+ST
Makes a massive difference on defence (ST4 players need 3 assists to get 2db plus it scares people)

DixonCider
Super Star
Super Star

Post by DixonCider »

stormmaster1 wrote:+ST
Makes a massive difference on defence (ST4 players need 3 assists to get 2db plus it scares people)
agreed. love +1 str on the big guys

Jimmy Fantastic
Super Star
Super Star

Post by Jimmy Fantastic »

Block or retire.

charlesanakin
Rookie
Rookie

Post by charlesanakin »

You shouldn't go past 16 SPPs with a without a Doubles roll. Retire him and start over. If you're hell bent on keeping him I'd take +ST.

Gimli
Experienced
Experienced

Post by Gimli »

charlesanakin wrote:You shouldn't go past 16 SPPs with a without a Doubles roll. Retire him and start over. If you're hell bent on keeping him I'd take +ST.
I've heard the +1ST is 1/36 and doubles 1/6 so take ST argument, but it overlooks that by taking Block you are decreasing the chance of him double skulling from 1/9 to 1/36. So Block it would be if I rolled it.

As for retiring at 16 spp with no doubles, I know the theory, but retiring a SF Guard Krox, etc. seems a waste ... . (To be clear, I would not use an APO on such a Krox - I've let two die in such circumstances - but retire?)

spubbbba
Legend
Legend

Post by spubbbba »

Trolls failing stupid rolls shouldn't be too much of an issue. The main use for them is to tie up players, take hits and provide assists with guard.

It depends how you use him, if he's going to be stuck in the middle of the scrum with black orcs then he won't have to worry about needing to roll 4+. however if you find him isolated a lot and getting knocked over then pro might be worth it to keep him in the game.

I'd favour block just to make him more reliable and even harder to shift with Stand Firm.

My past and current modelling projects showcased on Facebook, Instagram and Twitter.
dentt
Rookie
Rookie

Post by dentt »

I would go Pro, it saves a team reroll, allows him a 50/50 re-roll without using a team re-roll and it can be used
every turn.