New Norse Build, sensible or mental?

Want to know how to beat your opponents, then get advice, or give advice here.

Moderators: Valen, TFF Mods

hissa-lives
Veteran
Veteran

New Norse Build, sensible or mental?

Post by hissa-lives »

Am looking at building a Norse team for local league, comprising of Necro, Ogre, 2x Dwarf, 2x Undead, Dark Elf, Humans, and Necromantic.
with 1,100,000 gold to start
I'm thinking of

Troll
2 Ulfs
2 Bezerzers
1 Runner
6 Lineman
2 RR
and Apo

Thinking I need all the strength I can get to start with and plenty of frenzy to deal with pesky dwarves. Is this plain mental or an okish idea?

Reason: ''
MKL
Emerging Star
Emerging Star

Re: New Norse Build, sensible or mental?

Post by MKL »

5 frenzy and 2 rerolls make me uncomfortable.
The Norse usual lack of sure hands makes it just worst.

Jimmy Fantastic
Super Star
Super Star

Post by Jimmy Fantastic »

Well if you want to use Norse, of course this is sensible. How else could you build them?

hissa-lives
Veteran
Veteran

Post by hissa-lives »

Jimmy Fantastic wrote:Well if you want to use Norse, of course this is sensible. How else could you build them?
All players with block and 4 rr??

mzukerman
Emerging Star
Emerging Star

Post by mzukerman »

Depending on the length of the league, I'd drop a reroll and a lineman and go up to another runner. I love them as safeties. You can always pick up the reroll as the season goes on and with all that block there will hopefully be less rerolls. This way your players have more time to go up in level.

"I reserve the right to change my predictions when they are no longer true. I am The Media." ~ Snob Costas
libloodbowl on Twitter
Long Island Blood Bowl League
Empire Cup
Digger Goreman
Legend
Legend
Location: Atlanta, GA., USA: Recruiting the Walking Dead for the Blood Bowl Zombie Nation

Post by Digger Goreman »

You're using a spammoth team and you want to know if it is mental?!

Sounds rhetorical to me....

LRB6/Icepelt Edition: Ah!, when Blood Bowl made sense....
"1 in 36, my Nuffled arse!"
Jimmy Fantastic
Super Star
Super Star

You literally have to have the troll. Yeah I guess you could drop your other best two players for re-rolls but that seems pointlessly bad. 2 RR is fine up to about 1800 TV. I would never have more than 3 RR.

fidius
Experienced
Experienced

Post by fidius »

I find Norse's natural advantage (Block) gives them enough of a head start that they can afford to take risks early-on. For TV1000 leagues I like starting with 2x Ulf, 1x Troll, 3x RR and 0x Zerkers. Hire Zerkers as your Ulfs get Block -- feed them TDs to get them there quickly.

Your problem will be the MB on Undead and Ogre teams, I'd worry more about them than the Dorfs. 12 players and Apo is a good idea in case you run into more than 1 of those in your first few games. Runner will be useful vs ST5 (Dauntless) but other than that are a bit overpriced. So are Zerkers for that matter, but in League you'll eventually have them all anyway.

The conventional wisdom is "kill or be killed" but I've found that Guard works better than MB as early skill on the S guys. Troll being the exception...

swilhelm73
Star Player
Star Player

Post by swilhelm73 »

I'd trade the apo for an RR.

You'll need 3 and better to pay half price for it now vs full price later.

mattgslater
King of Comedy
Location: Far to the west, across the great desert, in the fabled Land of Comedy

Post by mattgslater »

To each his own. I hate big guys, including the Snow Troll, so for me it's 2 Ulfs, 11 linos, 3 RR, Apoth. But I guess that's why I prefer Humans to Norse.

What is Nuffle's view? Through a window, two-by-three. He peers through snake eyes.
What is Nuffle's lawn? Inches, squares, and tackle zones: Reddened blades of grass.
What is Nuffle's tree? Risk its trunk, space the branches. Touchdowns are its fruit.
Jimmy Fantastic
Super Star
Super Star

Oh I hate big guys too, to the extent that I don't even take a Beast of Nurgle. However Norse are a bash team that can't bash bashers without their big guy so it essential imo.

hissa-lives
Veteran
Veteran

Post by hissa-lives »

We've just had a third dwarf team sign up! I mean seriously, a quarter of the teams in the league are dwarf! that's 3 out of 11 games I'll either fall asleep or just give up on!
I'll give the troll and 2 ulfs a go I think, need the strength and could be fun maybe. either that or I just paint my flings really, really fast and use them!

Heff
Dwarf fetishist

Post by Heff »

Play chaos. ALWAYS go Claw MB Pile on Block (in that order) and watch the Timmys whine. That or find a new league.

Heff...Keeping the Dwarf (and lego) hate alive
If you cannot stall out for an 8 turn drive to score with dwarves then you need to go and play canasta with your dad..if you can find him.
hissa-lives
Veteran
Veteran

Post by hissa-lives »

Heff wrote:Play chaos. ALWAYS go Claw MB Pile on Block (in that order) and watch the Timmys whine. That or find a new league.
I do have a chaos team ready to go... Or I could put a bounty on all dwarf players? My norse team do look nice, or at least I think they do.

Heff
Dwarf fetishist

Post by Heff »

hissa-lives wrote:
Heff wrote:Play chaos. ALWAYS go Claw MB Pile on Block (in that order) and watch the Timmys whine. That or find a new league.
I do have a chaos team ready to go... Or I could put a bounty on all dwarf players? My norse team do look nice, or at least I think they do.
Nice is no substitute for a good set of claws. Use the figures but say they are Chaos. Honestly 3 Dwarves, how boring is that!

Heff...Keeping the Dwarf (and lego) hate alive
If you cannot stall out for an 8 turn drive to score with dwarves then you need to go and play canasta with your dad..if you can find him.