Amazon Catcher Double-5

Want to know how to beat your opponents, then get advice, or give advice here.

Moderators: Valen, TFF Mods

Which skill would you take?

+MA
55%
Block
3%
MB
No votes
Guard
24%
Pie
17%

Total votes: 29

mattgslater
King of Comedy
Location: Far to the west, across the great desert, in the fabled Land of Comedy

Re: Amazon Catcher Double-5

Post by mattgslater »

The plan with the two Throwers is that the +AG/Accurate/StronkArm Thrower (@Matt, she's losing her +MA/Block/SH when Kryten fixes her skills) is my primary baller, with the SH one getting Block and playing carrier vs Strip types (not to mention reserve line after she gets Block). If one dies the other goes to full-time Thrower duty. I wouldn't have taken a second Thrower but for the +AG one falling to me in the draft, I couldn't turn it down. (I could have had a +AG Wrestle Tackle Linewoman, but I thought this player was better.) This is also why I have Catchers and 16 players: I would have had 15 with no Catchers and only one Thrower, but when a baller landed in my lap, I decided it was worth it to have a real ball game in case my bash game doesn't go off right.

Reason: ''
What is Nuffle's view? Through a window, two-by-three. He peers through snake eyes.
What is Nuffle's lawn? Inches, squares, and tackle zones: Reddened blades of grass.
What is Nuffle's tree? Risk its trunk, space the branches. Touchdowns are its fruit.
MattDakka
Super Star
Super Star

Post by MattDakka »

mattgslater wrote:The plan with the two Throwers is that the +AG/Accurate/StronkArm Thrower (@Matt, she's losing her +MA/Block/SH when Kryten fixes her skills) is my primary baller, with the SH one getting Block and playing carrier vs Strip types (not to mention reserve line after she gets Block). If one dies the other goes to full-time Thrower duty. I wouldn't have taken a second Thrower but for the +AG one falling to me in the draft, I couldn't turn it down. (I could have had a +AG Wrestle Tackle Linewoman, but I thought this player was better.) This is also why I have Catchers and 16 players: I would have had 15 with no Catchers and only one Thrower, but when a baller landed in my lap, I decided it was worth it to have a real ball game in case my bash game doesn't go off right.
I see, but Amazons don't have a real ball game anyway and in order to have it you need to invest a lot of TV.
An AG 4 Thrower is nice to have but I wouldn't bother with Catchers in the future: even without considering their AG 3 they are slow.

mattgslater
King of Comedy
Location: Far to the west, across the great desert, in the fabled Land of Comedy

Post by mattgslater »

Yeah, I hear you. We went through our first three seasons with only one Catcher and one Thrower, and the Catcher was only there because we drafted her with Block, Guard and 27 SPP. She died last season, and I'd say Catch + Agility access was sort of a wash for her, like overpaying slightly for Side Step. (Catch did ice that Catcher's second-to-last game on an interception, it's not totally useless….) I wouldn't have taken any but for my drafting that Thrower, a player I could use but would never have built (mine would be all boring and stuff, with Sure Hands and Block… but I'd take the +AG duh). I'm hoping to build a couple of Blodgestepping Diving Tackle types.

What is Nuffle's view? Through a window, two-by-three. He peers through snake eyes.
What is Nuffle's lawn? Inches, squares, and tackle zones: Reddened blades of grass.
What is Nuffle's tree? Risk its trunk, space the branches. Touchdowns are its fruit.
babass
Super Star
Super Star

Post by babass »

my 14 games
quite long!

i would go for Guard.

I don't like amazone catchers and throwers. Too expansive and useless for this roster.
But, what's nice with catchers is A-skill access on simple. So you could have a nice blodge-sidestep-guard, that would be very anoying for all your opponent (you are never wrong with guard, espially with zones...)

+MA would be my 2nd choice (if you don't want this guard). It would allow you to have a oneturner, etc.. but, even with a Mouv7 player on the field, you would still suffer a lot running after skaven, woodelves, etc...

mattgslater
King of Comedy

Post by mattgslater »

Took +MA. If I'm gonna Catcher it up, I'm gonna take a real Catcher, and that means speed. Can't get MA8 without getting MA7 first. Right now, I'm looking at being able to keep her on the bench on Turn 1 drives and only play her after forcing a fast TD, or maybe if I think I have to score fast against a specific opponent. My strength has been in controlling the clock, running long disciplined offenses and defenses that force crazy attempts (and sometimes give up quick scores); my weakness has been in punching it in on turns 6-8. So, since I drafted to overcome this deficiency, I'm going to build my undrafted free agents to complement my draft pick.

FWIW, I have no real chance to game my TV before the season starts. I have no idea what I'll run into, except for three teams that I know for a fact I'll see twice. There are 1800k teams and 2600k teams and everything in between. At 2250k, I'm right around the middle. My division is 1800k Vamps, 1900k Norse, and 2500k Wood Elves, so no matter what I do I'm giving up a Wizard against two rivals and not against the third one. That's why I took Catchers and went to 16 players: the TV really isn't that important in this league, compared to long-term health and development. 14 games before a 3-4 game KO tourney; the more free skills on fresh bodies, the merrier.