Amazon Catcher Double-5

Want to know how to beat your opponents, then get advice, or give advice here.

Moderators: Valen, TFF Mods

Which skill would you take?

+MA
55%
Block
3%
MB
No votes
Guard
24%
Pie
17%

Total votes: 29

mattgslater
King of Comedy
Location: Far to the west, across the great desert, in the fabled Land of Comedy

Amazon Catcher Double-5

Post by mattgslater »

K, here's my team:

The Flashington Redheads are Amazons in the NBFL a high-TV FUMBBL league that loads 6+ free SPP on each player before each season starts. We just finished our "preseason builder games" and are improving our players, when one of our rookie Catchers rolled a double 5.

Here's the roster. I don't know my schedule, but my 14 games will include 2 each Vampire, Norse, and Wood Elf; the first two are run by world-class coaches (The_Provocateur and Relezite), and the last one is really tough on paper (coach OTS is also no slouch). I can't cut players, so don't suggest it. Our FF is 9 and we generally carry 4 RR. Treasury will start the season at 400k.

Blitzers:
+MA, POMB, Tackle, Frenzy
POMB, Guard, Grab, Tackle, -MA
MB, Guard, Tackle
MB

Throwers:
Sure Hands
+AG, Accurate, Strong Arm

Catchers:
Block
(Double-5)

Linewomen:
+ST, Block, Tackle
+ST, Guard
Block, Guard, Kick
Block, Guard, Fend, -MA
Dirty Player, Block
Dirty Player, Block
Block
Block

Which skill would you take for the Catcher? +MA, Guard, Mighty Blow, or ignore for Block? Normals track would be Block, SS, DT, Tackle, Fend, but unless I take Block that's not happening. I have 4 MB and 5 Guard right now. All three non-Block players are within 5 SPP of improving (Throwers on 15, 46; Lina on 26).

Reason: ''
What is Nuffle's view? Through a window, two-by-three. He peers through snake eyes.
What is Nuffle's lawn? Inches, squares, and tackle zones: Reddened blades of grass.
What is Nuffle's tree? Risk its trunk, space the branches. Touchdowns are its fruit.
MattDakka
Super Star
Super Star

Re: Amazon Catcher Double-5

Post by MattDakka »

Short term and immediate protection: Block
Long team: either + MA or Guard, probably + MA because to roll a 10 is less likely than to roll a double, thus more valuable, especially if you use your Catcher as a Catcher.
A Side Stepping Guard is very interesting, on the other hand.

(as a sidenote: I find Amazon Catchers sub-par and too slow but that's another story :D)

mattgslater
King of Comedy
Location: Far to the west, across the great desert, in the fabled Land of Comedy

Post by mattgslater »

I totally agree about Amazon Catchers being subpar, wouldn't have any if we hadn't drafted* a freaky Thrower or if we cared much about our TV. We ran only one Catcher for a long time and that's 'cause we drafted her with Block, Guard, and near Side Step. Blodge/Guard/SS is a solid combo, yeah. I think MA is more tempting, but I can't be sure. Mighty Blow is nice only really because if I get another double I can have a Jump Up POMBer. That sounds less tempting with my Blitzer squad though.

Does it change anything to know she probably won't see any action on defense?

* We get one player per year graduating from our college-themed league in addition to 6 SPP on each rookie.

What is Nuffle's view? Through a window, two-by-three. He peers through snake eyes.
What is Nuffle's lawn? Inches, squares, and tackle zones: Reddened blades of grass.
What is Nuffle's tree? Risk its trunk, space the branches. Touchdowns are its fruit.
spubbbba
Legend
Legend

Post by spubbbba »

MA7 is really nice when almost your entire team is MA6. Plus since you've gone for the super thrower then it makes sense to have a decent catcher. Unlike the TV bloat that is strong arm +MA is a skill you can use every turn and works really well with dodge (and catch).

Plus catchers don't have that many decent normal skills to take after block and SS anyway. You already have plenty of guard and MB and can take more on the blitzers too.

My past and current modelling projects showcased on Facebook, Instagram and Twitter.
mattgslater
King of Comedy

Post by mattgslater »

spubbbba wrote:Unlike the TV bloat that is strong arm
Yeah, the +AG Accurate Safe Throw one got picked by a Pro Elf team two picks before me. I'm thinking Safe Throw at 76 SPP (after Sure Hands), so I can drop back and wait, all Hail Mary style, but without the scatter.

That Thrower does scream for a +MA Catcher, huh?

MattDakka
Super Star
Super Star

Post by MattDakka »

Yep, I would lean towards +MA.

Smeborg
Legend
Legend

Post by Smeborg »

I voted for +MA. I think the single biggest weakness of 'Zons is their MA6 across the board. In your team you have a couple of -MA players, too. With a couple of MA7 players, you improve the odds of making that 2 turn touchdown quite a bit.

Hope that helps.

Smeborg the Fleshless
mattgslater
King of Comedy

Post by mattgslater »

Hmmm. This makes me wonder about that stud Thrower. Should I take Safe Throw next, rely on AG4 to get the ball until she gets 30 SPP? Or Sure Hands? Or Block? Which one second?

MattDakka
Super Star
Super Star

Post by MattDakka »

mattgslater wrote:Hmmm. This makes me wonder about that stud Thrower. Should I take Safe Throw next, rely on AG4 to get the ball until she gets 30 SPP? Or Sure Hands? Or Block? Which one second?
First off, 2 Throwers are redundant, stick to one, in your case:
http://fumbbl.com/p/player?player_id=10100756
and fire the other thrower, with MA 7 and AG 4 she's the best.

Anyway, about this thrower: http://fumbbl.com/p/player?player_id=10025923
if you really really want to keep her (don't :D ! ) I'd take Block, then Accurate, better than Safe Throw, although skilling an AG 3 player as a dedicated thrower is not worth it, the "real" throwers have AG 4 or 5 in my book.

Darkson
Da Spammer

Post by Darkson »

mattgslater wrote:I can't cut players, so don't suggest it.

Currently an ex-Blood Bowl coach, most likely to be found dying to Armoured Skeletons in the frozen ruins of Felstad, or bleeding into the arena sands of Rome or burning rubber for Mars' entertainment.
Tritex
Legend
Legend

Post by Tritex »

I vote to go for extra move on the catcher ...gives you a chance to catch up with those pesky elves :)

Blood Bowl .. Live to play and play to live! Check out now:

www.tritex-games.co.uk
www.tritex-games.co.uk
MKL
Emerging Star
Emerging Star

Post by MKL »

I went with Guard because... Guard. And with Sidestep it's even better.

Jimmy Fantastic
Super Star
Super Star

Post by Jimmy Fantastic »

Guard.

MattDakka
Super Star
Super Star

Post by MattDakka »

Darkson wrote:
mattgslater wrote:I can't cut players, so don't suggest it.
Ah, missed that part, sorry!

Jimmy Fantastic
Super Star
Super Star

Post by Jimmy Fantastic »

Funnily enough if sacking players was an option I would sack both throwers and take the +MA to make the Catcher the ballcarrier.