New Delf team help

Want to know how to beat your opponents, then get advice, or give advice here.

Moderators: Valen, TFF Mods

fidius
Experienced
Experienced

Re: New Delf team help

Post by fidius »

I prefer the Witch build as well, if only for the extra dodge re-roll she gives you.

The hardest thing about rookie Dark Elfs imo is getting used to working with 2 RRs. Early success really depends on not having bad games rolling too many 1s or bad blocks. If you can get through the first 5 or so games without losing more than 1 player you're probably in good shape for the future. On the other hand if you have a run of bad dice the rest of the season will be painful. Boring, methodical, conservative play is probably a requirement -- much different from the run-and-gun style of Woodies and Pro.

Reason: ''
Smeborg
Legend
Legend

Post by Smeborg »

fidius wrote:The hardest thing about rookie Dark Elfs imo is getting used to working with 2 RRs.
That's why a Runner with Leader has its merits. You will grow to hate him later in the league, but early on he is good to have.

Smeborg the Fleshless
Heartsbane
Experienced
Experienced

Post by Heartsbane »

Having played a couple of seasons with a dark elf team, it has been my experience that it's best to start with 4 blitzers if the other teams in the league are also rookies. Against unskilled opponents blitzers gain SPPs reasonably quickly, but having had to replace a couple later on, I've found they have a much harder time of gaining experience against more developed opposition. Witches, on the other hand, I've been able to develop reasonably well despite bringing them in late. Just run them as a pseudo catcher until they gain enough experience to start scrapping too. :)

Against more skilled opposing teams, you're going to have an uphill battle getting the DElves up and running, so go with whichever set up plays better for you, and exploits the opposition weaknesses. For instance, in a bash heavy league without too many players with tackle, I'd take the witch, in a finesse heavy league I'd go with the 4 blitzers.

Oh, and just to go against the flow, I like my runners. Build one to be an option player (dodge, NoS, sure hands) and the other a thrower (accurate, safe throw, strong arm if you get a double) and it increases the dark elf team's already prodigious flexibility. Of course, just like linemen, they rank low in the "who gets protected from the line of scrimmage and apothecary's attention" stakes, so I don't get too attached to them...