New Delf team help

Want to know how to beat your opponents, then get advice, or give advice here.

Moderators: Valen, TFF Mods

feeder
Experienced
Experienced
Location: Hatching a dastardly plan, like a bird with a dastardly egg.

New Delf team help

Post by feeder »

I'm trying Delfs next season, and looking at the roster, I'm somewhat underwhelmed by the positionals. Witch elves and Assassins seem expensive injury magnets and I'm not sure about the Runner.

My starting list:
4 Blitzers
7 Line
2 RR

I'm banking the leftover 10k because I'm going to need an Apo ASAP. I plan to build two Blitzers into killers and the other two into ball retrivers/ handlers.

I could upgrade one Lineman to a Runner but IDK if I want the squishy AV7. Are Runners that great?

Reason: ''
Digger Goreman
Legend
Legend
Location: Atlanta, GA., USA: Recruiting the Walking Dead for the Blood Bowl Zombie Nation

Re: New Delf team help

Post by Digger Goreman »

Underwhelmed by spam ag 4 ?! :o

Can't help ya, Timmy.... :roll:

LRB6/Icepelt Edition: Ah!, when Blood Bowl made sense....
"1 in 36, my Nuffled arse!"
Smeborg
Legend
Legend

Post by Smeborg »

feeder - the options for the starting DE roster are limited, The main variants, I suggest, are:

4 Blitzers, 1 Runner, 6 Linos, 2 RR (what I have tended to take)

1 Witch, 3 Blitzers, 7 Linos, 2 RR

The roster is more fun to play with at least 1 Witch, as you can threaten to surf opponents with Frenzy, and have more mobility(Jump Up). But she is fragile, especially before she gets Wrestle (or Block) And starting with 4 Blitzers is nice, it saves RRs.

The Runner is a fairly useless player (I suggest you only take 1, if any). I take him sometimes for a sole purpose: Leader (as soon as I can get him to 6 SPPs). Great early on, but he becomes more and more useless as the league progresses. Thus I would be more inclined to recommend a Runner if you are playing in a short league.

There is little wrong with the roster you suggest, 4 Block and all players AV8. Solid and dependable, if perhaps a little unexciting. So it's a matter of taste, I guess.

I have seen a mature DE team with only Blitzers and Linos. That's not to my taste, but it worked.

Hope that helps.

Smeborg the Fleshless
feeder
Experienced
Experienced

Post by feeder »

Digger Goreman wrote:Underwhelmed by spam ag 4 ?! :o

Thanks for your contribution, Ace! I'll bet you're SUPER fun at parties. :orc:

Smeborg wrote:feeder - the options for the starting DE roster are limited, The main variants, I suggest, are:

4 Blitzers, 1 Runner, 6 Linos, 2 RR (what I have tended to take)

The roster is more fun to play with at least 1 Witch, as you can threaten to surf opponents with Frenzy, and have more mobility(Jump Up). But she is fragile, especially before she gets Wrestle (or Block) And starting with 4 Blitzers is nice, it saves RRs.

The Runner is a fairly useless player (I suggest you only take 1, if any). I take him sometimes for a sole purpose: Leader (as soon as I can get him to 6 SPPs). Great early on, but he becomes more and more useless as the league progresses. Thus I would be more inclined to recommend a Runner if you are playing in a short league.

There is little wrong with the roster you suggest, 4 Block and all players AV8. Solid and dependable, if perhaps a little unexciting. So it's a matter of taste, I guess.

I have seen a mature DE team with only Blitzers and Linos. That's not to my taste, but it worked.

Hope that helps.
Thanks for taking the time.

It's a 12 game season, plus playoffs. There is a lovely Witch Elf model which I am looking for an excuse to field, but bringing her in mid season may exacerbate her weakness vs the more developed players.

I hadn't considered the Runner's P access, Leader could be good with only 2 RR. But how many 1's can a coach roll? :lol:

Shteve0
Legend
Legend

Post by Shteve0 »

In the WBBL we play a similar format - ten games then playoffs. We use chosen MVP.

I started the season with four blitzers and seven linemen with the 10k banked; then bought the apoth followed by two witch elves. I did eventually buy a runner but to be honest only because I faced a wood elf team with tackle and strip ball wardancers in my game 10... otherwise its not been particularly effective.

I suggest going with the all AV8 roster you posted initially.

League and tournament hosting, blogging and individual forums - all totally free. For the most immersive tabletop sports community experience around, check out theendzone.co
Jimmy Fantastic
Super Star
Super Star

Post by Jimmy Fantastic »

Runners suck, Witches are great. I like just one Witch so you can protect her easily.

4 Blitzers
7 Line
2 RR

or

1 Witch
3 Blitzers
7 Line
2 RR

She is only a liability for one match as she scores two TDs and then Blodges up.

MKL
Emerging Star
Emerging Star

Post by MKL »

feeder wrote:
Digger Goreman wrote:Underwhelmed by spam ag 4 ?! :o

Thanks for your contribution, Ace! I'll bet you're SUPER fun at parties. :orc:
(...)
Don't worry, Digger is our resident Nagash, grandfather of all Necromancers.
When I was a just youngster stitching together my first Flesh Golem he was already venerable and cranky :smoking:
Really, it's not like he's hating you because you are an elf: he hates you because you are still breathing! :orc:

Hail Digger, father of us all! :wink:

Smeborg
Legend
Legend

Post by Smeborg »

feeder wrote:It's a 12 game season, plus playoffs.
Then I would be inclined to take a Runner (for Leader). DEs need 3RRs in my experience, especially since they have no ball moving skills (S-Hands, Pass, Catch).

Leader is also a way to mitigate money pain (a common DE problem, given the high cost of their positional players). It means you don't have to buy a 3rd RR at 100,000.

There is no perfect solution in this case.

Hope that helps.

Smeborg the Fleshless
MattDakka
Super Star
Super Star

Post by MattDakka »

I suggest 2 rosters:
4 Blitzers
7 Line
2 RR

4 Blitzers
6 Line
1 Runner
2 RR

Although the Runner is not a great player (dump off is a meh skill) and fragile, as ball carrier with MA 7 he's not so bad either, at low TV I build him as a ... running ball carrier ( :roll: oh really, Matt?!) with Blodge and Sure Hands, but at high TV I found that giving him Pass for emergency throws is quite useful (because you tend to be outnumbered and DE are the slowest of the 4 elf teams).

babass
Super Star
Super Star

Post by babass »

This is my favorite start at TV100.
Dodge is very good for elves teams with only 2RR... and frenzy is defense is great (your opponent will have more stress just because of the possibility of push-push...)
Use the Witch as ball carrier until she get a skill (block or wreslte).

it's better to have the witch at start, because later it would be hard to skill it: because you will have better ball carrier and safer blizter (blodge blitzer...)

DixonCider
Super Star
Super Star

Post by DixonCider »

I went with 2 blitzers to get 3 re-rolls, and then purchased the other two blitzers and two WE's. I had a blast with them this time around. Here is my roster after one season: http://bbloc.calgarygamers.net/index.ph ... obj_id=162

feeder
Experienced
Experienced

Post by feeder »

I played my first pre season game yesterday with the 4 Blitz/7 Line roster. Tied vs. Lizards. Having only 2 RR and no skill re rolls really makes me think about each Pass and Dodge. AV 8 is miles better than the AV7 and Stunty I had last time though! :lol: I will try out the WE next game, she certainly seems more "fun".

plasmoid
Legend
Legend

Post by plasmoid »

I much prefer the roster with 1 witch.
The crucial advantage (IMO) is starting with a player with Dodge, which you can move in as an assist without potentially burning your team reroll.

Cheers
Martin

Narrow Tier BB? http://www.plasmoids.dk/bbowl/NTBB.htm
Or just visit http://www.plasmoids.dk instead
PercyTheTroll
Veteran
Veteran

Post by PercyTheTroll »

I recently started a DElf team in a very short league (>7 games a season) and really regretted the 4 Blitzer build. The team became a lot more fun once I had saved up enough to buy a Witch. If I had my time over I'd be looking at the 3 Blitzer, 1 Witch build.

The runner wasn't spectacular but Dump-Off did catch people out once or twice which was fun. By no means is it an essential positional though.

swilhelm73
Star Player
Star Player

Post by swilhelm73 »

IMO, I'd rather start with the BZs.

AV8+block makes them much for survivable, and in the near term you don't want to have to replace a lot of positionals.

While frenzy is nice, no block and only 2 RRs make throwing blocks with the witch risky...and even pushouts can be interesting since she won't have SS yet.

Once your team has developed a bit it is easier to incorporate a witch since you can use her as a running back.

As for passing, I've never gotten it to be an effective part of my team's arsenal. In my most recent regular season I won the division but finished last (of 6) in passing yards.

With DE you don't want to score all that fast, and you don't have built in passing games RRs (catch/pass)