Playing against Ogres

Want to know how to beat your opponents, then get advice, or give advice here.

Moderators: Valen, TFF Mods

MKL
Emerging Star
Emerging Star

Playing against Ogres

Post by MKL »

I'm playing my Necros against Ogres in Plasmoid's NTBBL (Snotlings got m6, av6, Tackle cannot be used against them in block/blitz).

It occured to me that I never played a "fair" game against Ogres: in my (limited) experience their team always "imploded" out of bad rolls, and they never got a chance to play.

So, I never learned to play against Ogres :oops: :lol:
So, since it's summer and the forum is dozing, what are the general tactics to employ against Ogres (provided they got fair rolls)?

Reason: ''
Heff
Dwarf fetishist

Re: Playing against Ogres

Post by Heff »

Kill the snots :lol:

Heff...Keeping the Dwarf (and lego) hate alive
If you cannot stall out for an 8 turn drive to score with dwarves then you need to go and play canasta with your dad..if you can find him.
Digger Goreman
Legend
Legend
Location: Atlanta, GA., USA: Recruiting the Walking Dead for the Blood Bowl Zombie Nation

Post by Digger Goreman »

Target snots with wights and golems if you can pin the little snits down.... If this isn't a starter team, and you have Mighty Blow, use it liberally on them.... Be EXTREMELY CAREFUL not to let a snot sidestep your werewolves into trouble.... Block on the wolves will mitigate this a lot....

Tie up ogres where you must with zombies.... Preferably, if convenient, position players two squares away from ogres where the brutes will have to dodge through a tackle zone to reach something meaningful....

LRB6/Icepelt Edition: Ah!, when Blood Bowl made sense....
"1 in 36, my Nuffled arse!"
MKL
Emerging Star
Emerging Star

Post by MKL »

Thank you sirs.
I was wondering if there was some other catch on the Ogres, but probably it's just "hit the little ones, avoid/tie up the big ones, wait for them to fail" :smoking:

nazgob
Legend
Legend

Playing against Ogres

Post by nazgob »

With necro, surely clawing down the ogres is worthwhile? Knock a couple out and it gets so much easier!

Digger Goreman
Legend
Legend
Location: Atlanta, GA., USA: Recruiting the Walking Dead for the Blood Bowl Zombie Nation

Post by Digger Goreman »

nazgob wrote:With necro, surely clawing down the ogres is worthwhile? Knock a couple out and it gets so much easier!
Big gamble and very situational.... You are trying to arrange three assists in a way that you can get two 2d blocks and not only will doubling down against mighty blow invite considerable pain, but you don't want to end your move next to an upright/blitzing from the ground ogre....

MKL
Emerging Star
Emerging Star

Post by MKL »

Digger speaks true.
Ogres are like Mammuths to the Neanderthals: juicy targets, but you need a lot of teamwork to pull it, and a beast isolated from the herd.
I got a shot to one earlier, but failed to overcome armour. To be honest, I broke av6 just once in these five turns :p

By the way, one of my four Guards was ko'ed in the first turn. A Guard-Stand Firm Wight. With a Ghoul missing from a previous game, my mobility is seriously handicapped (just 4 players with ma above 4).

Digger Goreman
Legend
Legend

Post by Digger Goreman »

MKL wrote: By the way, one of my four Guards was ko'ed in the first turn. A Guard-Stand Firm Wight. With a Ghoul missing from a previous game, my mobility is seriously handicapped (just 4 players with ma above 4).
Yikes, you desperately need a recovery game....

Smeborg
Legend
Legend

Post by Smeborg »

Playing against well-coached Ogres can be tough, especially if they have lots of Break Tackle. The last tournament game I played against Ogres (with Chaos) I was down on numbers (by 2) for nearly the whole game (I won 1-0, but only thanks to a tactical error by my over-cautious opponent). In another tournament game I played against Ogres (with Nurgle), I CAS'd 3 Ogres and KO'd 1 Snot (I lost that one 0-2 following a quad both down by the ball-carrier). You can't rely on killing Snots, although in some games they will simply fly into the dugout.

Beware of dodging Ogres, whether they have B-Tackle or not.

I think you have to concentrate ruthlessly on the ball, and hope to survive elsewhere. The ball-handling skills of the Ogre team are poor, and with MA5 across the board, they cannot hide their intentions on offense.

I would think that the Golems (especially if they have Block) could be very handy indeed for tying up Ogres.

Plasmoids roster sounds way overpowered to me (but I haven't playtested it).

Good luck.

Smeborg the Fleshless
MKL
Emerging Star
Emerging Star

Post by MKL »

Smeborg wrote: I think you have to concentrate ruthlessly on the ball, and hope to survive elsewhere. The ball-handling skills of the Ogre team are poor, and with MA5 across the board, they cannot hide their intentions on offense.
Maybe they cannot hide their intentions, but with Snotlings having Ma6, and Morg in the field (Ma6), they got an aggregated speed superior to my own :lol:
About the ball, yes, my usual way is to man-mark the ogres with Zeds and Golems, ad to hell with their MightyBlow.
Smeborg wrote:Playing against well-coached Ogres can be tough, especially if they have lots of Break Tackle.
Just one Break Tackle, the ball carrier. And a Juggernaut, to mess with my Stand Firm.
I played just once against this coach, and I think he's really good. The way he moves his team is a pleasure to the eyes :D
Smeborg wrote: Good luck.
Thank you. But Nuffle gave me A LOT of luck the last game, I cannot ask anything else for some months :lol: