Grab on Norse team?

Want to know how to beat your opponents, then get advice, or give advice here.

Moderators: Valen, TFF Mods

huff
Experienced
Experienced

Re: Grab on Norse team?

Post by huff »

In theory, grab would prolly go good with the team, but I can't see building around it, because the lack of regular access to it.

As far as the team as a whole, I would say you are very much handicapping yourself by not taking the Ulfs, and would maybe find that Grab isn't nessasarily needed with multiple frenzy players on each sideline. As of now, you only have the 2 Frenzy players and that hardly constitutes playing into the flavor of the Norse of being a Frenzy heavy team.

I also agree with you on the throwers, most seem to dismiss them but I always find room for them, integral part for the quick TD, even the 1TTD (pulled this off before, w/SS Runner). Worst comes to worst he can be a leader caddy and pay for himself like that. I personally cut a RR and go down to 2 after Ulfs have block, but my experience is solely based on TV-Based matchups on Fumbbl. I had 100+ games on there, with varrying TV ranges, but would consider it mostly High TV, 170+.

Stand Firm with Jump Up does have some synergy (if AV doesn't get broke on way down), and SF with Frenzy synergy is also there for controlling the sidelines, I don't think I would take Fend on the zerks, think they woul look like SF,MB,Tkl,Juggs,Guard or some combination. No longer would I take Piling On, but that is just being anti-PO and against the skill in general for what it is doing/done to the game, but I digress.

I too am also a fan of the runner, and find dauntless to be extremely useful in what is generally a bash-oriented game. I take guard, and really never even considered Grab, but that may be because Grab is rather underwelming (maybe if it worked on Blitzes) and Guard is just a superior skill. And i always like guard on a the relativily mobile piece of the team: human catchers, wood elf catchers ect. I don't think I would take the second double, I would stick to SS, Guard, stats, dodge, fend, sure hands and even Pro as a late choice to RR those dauntless rolls. Maybe a Jump Up runner would be nice with Blodge, SS, DT, JU and Pro. That would be 2 non-crucial things to use pro with: dauntless and jump up.

I like fend on the linos, prolly not too early if you need a tackle piece, and a dirty player as well. Guard is great, but I have never had a Guard Norse lineman, only double i rolled in 100+ games was 66 for a lino.

I flip-flop on the Yhetti and bigs in general, he has surely decided me some games, for better or for worse. It's the one piece on the team that will make the 'true' bash teams take Norse as serious hitters.

Reason: ''
Do or do not. There is no try.
Smeborg
Legend
Legend

Post by Smeborg »

Thanks, huff, I agree with much of what you say.

Having played Norse in a couple of tourneys (8-2-2), I am now a decided fan of the Ulfs. I am undecided about the SnoT, I tend to think he is largely useless, but once he has M-Blow he has a nice psychological effect on bash coaches, and can help on numbers. In a league he is rather expensive. One option is to drop the 'Zerks (they are overpriced IMO) for the SnoT.

I am tending to the view that Grab should be left to the Runners (first doubles), with first doubles on the Linos being Guard. And I think you would need some early Jugs to match any Grab, that would give optimised surfing potential.

All the best.

Smeborg the Fleshless
huff
Experienced
Experienced

Post by huff »

Norse are definitley a team that thrives at low TV or tourneys, it's tuff sliddin at high TV, when argueably your biggest starting advantage is nullified by the other team's having Block.

I believe, in the end, that this complimentary combo of Grab with Frenzy would be better exucuted with players that have normal access to it, although it may just take longer to get there.

Dwarfs come to mind with taking Grab on Blitzers/Longbeards with the Frenzy Slayers.

Undead perhaps with Grab on Mummies and Frenzy on Wights or Ghoul (or Ghouls).

Perhaps it's the varrying playstyle that isn't letting me envision the justification of taking Grab over Guard on the Runner. Although I do hit with the runner, and find that I do use Dauntless and don't see it as a useless skill, more that it is just underutilized. In fact, Dauntless itself is really an underated, and undertaken skill.

And I would be remiss if I didn't invite you over to Fumbbl.

Do or do not. There is no try.
fidius
Experienced
Experienced

Post by fidius »

I'm finding that the Grab-surf game has 2 weaknesses. 1) good coaches seem to be able to easily avoid "surf risk" (or the average coach -- me -- hasn't figured out how to execute well yet), and 2) using Grab is hard to engineer without Stand Firm or Sidestep. I therefore think Smeborg is right to give it to a Runner if he's going to play that game, simply because they have normal access to Sidestep (and Dodge so he remains standing -- and also Jump Up, which is where it could get very fun!).

I took Grab on doubles on one of my +ST Linos, and the Legend coach I last played on Fumbbl never once stood in base contact with him, that I remember anyway. Perhaps most of the Grab effect thus has to happen against opponents pushed into his TZs.

Anyway sorry to necro this thing. :)