Is Multiple Block on a Block Troll worth it?

Want to know how to beat your opponents, then get advice, or give advice here.

Moderators: Valen, TFF Mods

J_Bone
Super Star
Super Star

Is Multiple Block on a Block Troll worth it?

Post by J_Bone »

I have just completed my fourth game in our first DBBL league with my orcs and my troll is doing some SERIOUS damage. He skilled up in his last game and got a double so I took Block (naturally). With his new blocking ability he casualtied 3 of my opponent's orcs and took another MVP roll to level again (22SPP in four games). I rolled a normal skill and am seriously considering Multiple Block.

I mainly use my troll as a line clearing piece and with the support of the black orc blockers I can see getting two two-die blocks with block and mighty blow per turn (there are next to no teams with big guys in our league at the moment with the exception of two deathrollers).

I find guard quite a boring choice and really don't think it would help me out massively as I don't want to be trying to run my troll around giving assists. I want him standing still and hammering away like he has been so far. What do you guys think?

Reason: ''
The brains behind the Double Skulls Podcast http://doubleskulls.libsyn.com/

Beardman.
Glowworm

Re: Is Multiple Block on a Block Troll worth it?

Post by Glowworm »

Don't forget with Multi block he cannot follow up, so if you fail to break armour the player you where tying up (such as a low AG Black Orc / Nurgle warrior / Saurus type usually found on the LoS) is now free to scammer off and pick on the little guys... Also your opponents get +2St so youll need assists to get 2 dice, especially against the above mentioned types..... :(

If you don't like guard or stand firm (usual suspects) how about grab? if you knock the guy down you can put him in front of the other troll, in a better place for a foul later in the turn, or even in front of your fanatic, who can of course hit prone players...

Remember though' it doesn't work if you blitz with him.

another option, altho' not one I usually use is "Pile On" turns him into a wrecking ball, but fewer hits per game and the chance he will fail his stupid roll and stay down.....high risk / possible high reward... :wink:

Just remember he will always fail that crucial roll, and be ready for it!!

lunchmoney
Legend
Legend

Post by lunchmoney »

If the Troll had hit S6 first I'd say go for it. That way you dont need assists for 2D blocks against regular linemen.

If you are set on MultiBlock just make he keeps an assist near by (he needs a babysitter for his stupid rolls anyway, so shouldnt be a problem) and take Grab as you next skill.

Hired Goon for the NAF (rep for South West England)
lunchmoneybb@gmail.com

TOs! You do not need multiple copies of rosters. It's a waste of paper.
Bribe level: good coffee.
#FlingNation find me on page 95
Chris
Legend
Legend

Post by Chris »

No. You will at somepoint start rolling lots of 1's and be useless. Really it is Guard or stand firm. If you are that confiddent give him break tackle and blitz into cages.

J_Bone
Super Star
Super Star

Post by J_Bone »

The reason I am considering it is as I said, that he generally just sits on the line causing trouble and acting as a roadblock so he normally isn't too hard to get an assist on... One two-die block with a black orc to push somebody off the line normally results in two adjacent linemen I could get two-die blocks on. Essentially I'm thinking of it as a way to maximise the block on the line as it is usually Block-less two-die blocks with my black orcs on the line that let me down and use up my limited re-rolls. And if the opposition doesn't go down I could always just step the supporting black orc forward to tie them up.

I considered break tackle but can't see it on a troll... A rat ogre definitely... I just find that my troll is normally in a maelstrom in the middle of the pitch most matches and isn't in a position to just waltz two squares over, break tackle for the third and then blitz for the fourth. Plus this seems more risky? More chances of rolling a one and the possibility of an injury from it to boot, not just going stupid... I wouldn't mind a great cage-breaker for the dwarf matches but I would have to try like Hell to get him in range of the cage I think. Unless I were to move him up to mark it in one turn and then blitz in on the next? How would you guys use Break Tackle?

I took grab on FUMBBL and have found it nigh on useless as well... I could see how you could use it cleverly to get more blocks but again, Multiple Block does that... I'm not set on it but it is seeming like it might work better for me than some other skills and I just find Stand Firm and Guard too dwarfy a choice.

Beardman.
Pedda
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Pedda »

J_Bone wrote:he generally just sits on the line causing trouble and acting as a roadblock
This, to me, screams stand firm

hissa-lives
Veteran
Veteran

Post by hissa-lives »

I'd say if you're thinking about it in that depth and can see it working try it out. Worst case it doesn't work and can start again next season or fire him and start again. I like the idea, and your argument makes me think I may try it out, especially with a tree on a fling team

Heff
Dwarf fetishist

Post by Heff »

If you have a gobbo what about strong arm?
Me though I would take stand firm or guard. A block guard troll is a real help on the line, a block guard stand firm one is brilliant even when you just sit him there.

Heff...Keeping the Dwarf (and lego) hate alive
If you cannot stall out for an 8 turn drive to score with dwarves then you need to go and play canasta with your dad..if you can find him.
J_Bone
Super Star
Super Star

Post by J_Bone »

I did consider strong arm to increase the likelihood of my last ditch TD efforts but getting something to help my orcs punch things is just too tempting... And after how my throwing attempts went at THRUDBALL I think I just need to stick to punching with them! :-?

Beardman.
burgun824
Legend
Legend

Post by burgun824 »

I don't mind multi block. It's useful at times. But never, ever, never before guard.

Jimmy Fantastic
Super Star
Super Star

Post by Jimmy Fantastic »

Guard then SF.

sann0638
Kommissar Enthusiasmoff

Post by sann0638 »

J_Bone wrote:I did consider strong arm to increase the likelihood of my last ditch TD efforts but getting something to help my orcs punch things is just too tempting... And after how my throwing attempts went at THRUDBALL I think I just need to stick to punching with them! :-?
bingo!

NAF Ex-President
Founder of SAWBBL, Swindon and Wiltshire's BB League - find us on Facebook and Discord
NAF Data wrangler
J_Bone
Super Star
Super Star

Post by J_Bone »

After much thought I have decided to take it and see how it goes... I think I'd rather take something that I'll enjoy than something I think is more optimal. Also, he's ridiculously close to a third skill anyway so I can always take Guard or Stand Firm then.

My next game won't be for a couple of weeks now but I'll let you know how it works out...

Beardman.
MKL
Emerging Star
Emerging Star

Post by MKL »

J_Bone wrote:After much thought I have decided to take it and see how it goes... I think I'd rather take something that I'll enjoy than something I think is more optimal. Also, he's ridiculously close to a third skill anyway so I can always take Guard or Stand Firm then.

My next game won't be for a couple of weeks now but I'll let you know how it works out...
Since you choose Multiple Block and next skill isn't far, keep in mind that Grab mitigate some of Multi-b problems. Good luck, and let us know how it works :wink:

Smeborg
Legend
Legend

Post by Smeborg »

Well done, J_Bone. If you think M-Block is the skill that best suits your style of play, you are probably right.

Good luck and let us know how you get on.

Smeborg the Fleshless