Underworld: winning, woes and advice

Want to know how to beat your opponents, then get advice, or give advice here.

Moderators: Valen, TFF Mods

Digger Goreman
Legend
Legend
Location: Atlanta, GA., USA: Recruiting the Walking Dead for the Blood Bowl Zombie Nation

Underworld: winning, woes and advice

Post by Digger Goreman »

Dante's Infernals are giving me a little break from my usual undead fetish, and have surprisingly won their first two games against Gobbos 3-0 and Undead 2-1....

In both games, my goblins are suffering at the hands of my opponents.... While a late first game hit did cause an mng thrower, the greenies on the team suffered bh's and one niggling injury.... Game two the gits suffered three bh's, an mng on a double nuffed gfi, and a -ag player.... Apothecary kept my only thrower from joining the list of injuries.... All my winnings seem to go into replacing gobs.... Do other Underworld coaches see the same trends?

After the first game a thrower gained block, and in the second game a blitzer rolled doubles.... My first inclination is dodge.... Anyone think differently?

Dante's Infernals
5x Goblins (1 niggled)
1x goblin mng
1x goblin mng -ag
2x throwers, one w/block
2x blitzers
2x linemen
1x troll

Apothecary
3 rerolls
2 ff
1 ac
1 cl
20 k gold

Reason: ''
LRB6/Icepelt Edition: Ah!, when Blood Bowl made sense....
"1 in 36, my Nuffled arse!"
Smeborg
Legend
Legend

Re: Underworld: winning, woes and advice

Post by Smeborg »

Gobbo injuries are the soft underbelly of the Underworld team. I have noticed a step up in performance when I have some Gobbos with 2-Heads (they can dodge away with reasonable reliability early in the turn). Suffering a turnover when Gobbos are still in contact is nasty, and is to be avoided where possible. This means risk prioritisation can differ from other teams. Meeting plentiful Tackle early on in a league is also nasty, there is not much to be done about it.

Like yourself, I used to think that Dodge would be good on the Blitzers. However, in practice I find it makes their development path dull. I would now ignore it and take a normal skill instead. My preferred development path for them is Guard, M-Blow, Claw etc. (other coaches omit the Guard, but I find the team much better with 3 early Guards). Dodge also implies 2-Heads, that's 2 skills blown away from the otherwise lovely development path.

Hope that helps.

Smeborg the Fleshless
Smeborg
Legend
Legend

Post by Smeborg »

I have also at times played with 16 players on the roster. This was because once the league has plentiful M-Blow, 14 players is just not enough.

All the best.

Smeborg the Fleshless
lunchmoney
Legend
Legend

Post by lunchmoney »

My current Underworld team looks like this after 7 matches
No cash as I've spent in on 2 Throwers and 2 Linerats that needed replacing. Luckily I havent had to replace the little guys.

I just take each match as it comes and I have a 331 record with them so far.

Hired Goon for the NAF (rep for South West England)
lunchmoneybb@gmail.com

TOs! You do not need multiple copies of rosters. It's a waste of paper.
Bribe level: good coffee.
#FlingNation find me on page 95
plasmoid
Legend
Legend

Post by plasmoid »

I still like Dodge on them. On everyone on the team in fact.
Safett first :)
Then again, against the right opponent I do let Blitzers pull defensive LOS duty.
Cheers
Martin

Narrow Tier BB? http://www.plasmoids.dk/bbowl/NTBB.htm
Or just visit http://www.plasmoids.dk instead
MattDakka
Super Star
Super Star

Post by MattDakka »

Mighty Blow for the Blitzers, you need 2 clawpombers asap if you want to stand a chance.

Smeborg
Legend
Legend

Post by Smeborg »

MattDakka wrote:Mighty Blow for the Blitzers, you need 2 clawpombers asap if you want to stand a chance.
I prefer Guard first on the Storm Vermin, after that the orthodox M-Blow, Claw, Tackle etc. ClawPoMB is hard to deploy if you are facing a ST team with lots of Guard (Orcs, Chaos, Nurgle, Khemri etc.). Without Guard, Underworld will get comprehensively outbashed by most teams.

All the best.

Smeborg the Fleshless
babass
Super Star
Super Star

Post by babass »

Smeborg wrote:
MattDakka wrote:Mighty Blow for the Blitzers, you need 2 clawpombers asap if you want to stand a chance.
I prefer Guard first on the Storm Vermin, after that the orthodox M-Blow, Claw, Tackle etc. ClawPoMB is hard to deploy if you are facing a ST team with lots of Guard (Orcs, Chaos, Nurgle, Khemri etc.). Without Guard, Underworld will get comprehensively outbashed by most teams.

All the best.
that's why, for those blitzers in this team, i do prefer horns before pillingon...
you need asap a MB/Claw/Horns/Tackle blitzer

for the other blitzer, i would follow something like : guard/twoheads/MB.

MattDakka
Super Star
Super Star

Post by MattDakka »

Smeborg wrote:I prefer Guard first on the Storm Vermin, after that the orthodox M-Blow, Claw, Tackle etc. ClawPoMB is hard to deploy if you are facing a ST team with lots of Guard (Orcs, Chaos, Nurgle, Khemri etc.). Without Guard, Underworld will get comprehensively outbashed by most teams.
Actually, with 3 Guards (assuming you take Guard on Blitzers and the Troll) you will be outguarded and outbashed anyway, thus is better to focus on dealing serious damage, and let's not forget that a low armour team can't afford to play the Guard wars vs Orcs, Nurgle, Khemri.
babass wrote:that's why, for those blitzers in this team, i do prefer horns before pillingon...

The most powerful combo for the Blitzer is Mighty Blow, Claw, Piling On; Tackle and Horns must be added after these 3 core skills.

Smeborg
Legend
Legend

Post by Smeborg »

babass wrote:
Smeborg wrote:

All the best.
that's why, for those blitzers in this team, i do prefer horns before pillingon...

I prefer Horns on the Linerats (e.g Wrestle, Horns, Tackle, 2-Heads) and as a later skill on at least 1 Thrower (e.g. Leader, Block, Tackle, Horns on the second Thrower). I don't see much room for Horns on the Blitzers.

Smeborg the Fleshless
Smeborg
Legend
Legend

Post by Smeborg »

MattDakka wrote:
Smeborg wrote:I prefer Guard first on the Storm Vermin, after that the orthodox M-Blow, Claw, Tackle etc. ClawPoMB is hard to deploy if you are facing a ST team with lots of Guard (Orcs, Chaos, Nurgle, Khemri etc.). Without Guard, Underworld will get comprehensively outbashed by most teams.
Actually, with 3 Guards (assuming you take Guard on Blitzers and the Troll) you will be outguarded and outbashed anyway, thus is better to focus on dealing serious damage, and let's not forget that a low armour team can't afford to play the Guard wars vs Orcs, Nurgle, Khemri.
I don't take Guard on the Underworld team in order to engage in "Guard wars". I take it for 2 simple reasons:

- To be able to dominate the LoS on offense (without Guard life can be hard against ST4 and ST5 players with Guard), and

- To be able to form a Guarded cage when appropriate (not as a systematic play, but say on turns 1 and possibly 2 of offense against the right sort of team)

Hope that helps.

Smeborg the Fleshless
odinsgrandson
Veteran
Veteran

Post by odinsgrandson »

A two headed horned gobber would be the best ball extraction ever.

But I might be the only one who thinks you might get two skills on your stunties...

I'd still go with dodge on the blitzer, and consider horns or a big hand later (depending on how you plan to use him).

Smeborg
Legend
Legend

Post by Smeborg »

odinsgrandson wrote:A two headed horned gobber would be the best ball extraction ever.

But I might be the only one who thinks you might get two skills on your stunties...

I'd still go with dodge on the blitzer, and consider horns or a big hand later (depending on how you plan to use him).
2-Heads + Horns is simply outstanding on Gobbos. To my surprise, I found this combo much better than mere Wrestle (I had 3 Wrestle Gobbos on my last Underworld team).

All the best.

Smeborg the Fleshless
Digger Goreman
Legend
Legend
Location: Atlanta, GA., USA: Recruiting the Walking Dead for the Blood Bowl Zombie Nation

Post by Digger Goreman »

Agreed with both on the 2-headed, horned gobbo!

LRB6/Icepelt Edition: Ah!, when Blood Bowl made sense....
"1 in 36, my Nuffled arse!"
20phoenix
Super Star
Super Star

Post by 20phoenix »

I don't bother with guard on blitzers until very late and even then its only on one. I tend to play a highly mobile game - keeping the team together as a unit to pick off targets with claw and fouling if they dont get the hint. I can see an argument for dodge but it depends on when the double comes up. I'd kill for dodge on Galahad now instead of jump up (see KAC roster below) but at the time he was being built as the killer. AG4 on a blitzer is magic - Galahad averages over 5 SPP a game over the last few seasons. If one of the AV7 rats rolled doubles I'd be all over dodge. Protection and mobility is nice to have. I try not to get involved in a large scale melee, just keeping the team biting at the fringes then pressing the big red button when the time is right (wizard/bomb/created opening).

I have two Underworld teams - the first is in its eight season at UKBBL and has 78 games to its credit. It stormed to their divisional title last season with a 9-1-1 season to promote to the UKBBL second tier.

http://bbm.jcmag.fr/BloodBowlManager.We ... 99&lang=en

Sir Bedivere is a great threat to ball carriers and amazingly is tied with the troll for most games played (76!)

My other UW team plays in MM and quite frankly is ridiculous. I'd love this to be a league team:

http://bbm.jcmag.fr/BloodBowlManager.We ... 48&lang=en