League advice for a noob

Want to know how to beat your opponents, then get advice, or give advice here.

Moderators: Valen, TFF Mods

mzukerman
Emerging Star
Emerging Star

Re: League advice for a noob

Post by mzukerman »

For a runner, dodge would be a great pick for doubles.

Good luck!

Reason: ''
"I reserve the right to change my predictions when they are no longer true. I am The Media." ~ Snob Costas
libloodbowl on Twitter
Long Island Blood Bowl League
Empire Cup
MKL
Emerging Star
Emerging Star

Post by MKL »

Fwav8or wrote:Hey guys, it was a sad day for the buccaneers... my runner that already had a skill upgrade got killed on the pitch by a dark elf assassin. It's all good though, i still beat 'em 2-0.
Don't worry for him: he's guzzling beer in Nuffle's Valhalla.
Save your tears for the shameful -ST crippled
Fwav8or wrote: My question is this, my other runner ended up getting a skill upgrade and I rolled doubles. Would you take dodge? I'm was leaning towards that, but then I saw I could get guard too, which I really like guard.

Please share your thoughts! Thanks guys!
Dodge is the most common choice for a Runner

mattgslater
King of Comedy
Location: Far to the west, across the great desert, in the fabled Land of Comedy

Post by mattgslater »

Dodge and Guard are both good, but in a young format like yours, Dodge is better.

What is Nuffle's view? Through a window, two-by-three. He peers through snake eyes.
What is Nuffle's lawn? Inches, squares, and tackle zones: Reddened blades of grass.
What is Nuffle's tree? Risk its trunk, space the branches. Touchdowns are its fruit.
Jimmy Fantastic
Super Star
Super Star

Post by Jimmy Fantastic »

Dodge by a mile.

DixonCider
Super Star
Super Star

Post by DixonCider »

how has your league experience been going?

Fwav8or
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Fwav8or »

Dixon, thank you for asking. The league has gone quite well. I think by most standards, it is considered to be a short season with only 8 games. I played game 6 tonight. I would say about 1/3 to 1/2 of the guys are new like me. The other guys do a pretty good job of teaching while they play. I've had a bit of beginners luck thus far, but I see the walls crumbling around me. :)

We have three divisions, so the winner of each division goes to the playoffs along with a wild card team. Right now, I am first in my division. I have 4 wins and 2 draws for a total of 10 pts. There is one high elf team in my division that is right on my heels and the coach is definitely a more experienced player than I am. And if I have to rely on the wild card bid, there is a team in a separate division that is close to me in points, who has more TDs than I do. So as far as my playoff chances go... it's going to come down to the wire, which I suppose is part of the fun. :evil:

In tonight's game, I had one of my linemen killed. So now my roster is back down to 11 guys and I only have 50k in the bank. At least the lineman that got killed didn't have any stat upgrades. Here is my question. With two games to go in the regular season, should I spend the 50k on an apothecary, or should I save the money and buy another lineman after next game?

What are your thoughts? Thanks guys!!!

EDIT: Oh yeah, and as far as Dwarfs go... well, I like them, but I don't love them. I will definitely try out my Necros next season. :lol:

JaM
Legend
Legend

Post by JaM »

I dont think I'd 'waste' money now on an apo, I'd probably go for the 12th man/dwarf (thus save up).

I'd also look at my next opponent; if the 50K you''d spend on an apo will give away inducements, or will prevent you from getting them, you might think again.

Good luck! :)

Jimmy Fantastic
Super Star
Super Star

Wow, could/should have started with an apo - deffo get one!

Fwav8or
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Fwav8or »

Jimmy,

Lesson learned the hard way! :blue:

When I look back at the stats over the course of my season, I do see that at one point, I had enough money to buy both a 12th man and an apo before I had sustained any serious injuries. I think I was foolishly saving up for a death roller, which I later realized was a mistake after getting advice from this forum. And I never ended up getting a DR anyways. Hey, I'm just a rookie! :(

But for future reference, what are your thoughts? Should I have bought an apo before buying a 12th man at the beginning of the season? Or is it more important to get the 12th man to have a reserve?

Just curious what your thoughts are.

Jimmy Fantastic
Super Star
Super Star

With Dwarfs you can manage with 11 men for a long time, definitely apo first, as I say in a league you can even start with one.
I would only go to 12 if your opponents are very bashy and/or you are already at a decent TV - like 1700 or so.

Fwav8or
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Fwav8or »

Quick Q to my Blood Bowl mentorship committee. :D I just had a guy concede a match to me. Real life problems, so he dropped out of the league. For conceding, our league follows the CRP. So I was filling out my match report on the OBBLM website. I had two MVP rolls. I rolled 3 twice in a row. On the OBBLM website, it actually lets you put a 2 in the MVP box. I thought it was for just such an occasion. However, I sent an email to our league commish to give him an update and he said, although he didn't have the rules in front of him, he didn't think you can give 2 MVPs to the same guy. I looked through the rules and didn't see anything that addressed it. I may have missed something. Is there a general ruling on this topic? Thank you guys!

voyagers_uk
Da Cynic
Location: Nice Red Uniforms and Fanatical devotion to the Pope!

League advice for a noob

Post by voyagers_uk »

Nothing against it in my book

Ikterus wrote: But for the record, play Voyagers_UK if you have the chance. He's cursed! :P
Digger Goreman
Legend
Legend
Location: Atlanta, GA., USA: Recruiting the Walking Dead for the Blood Bowl Zombie Nation

Post by Digger Goreman »

I could be mistaken, but isn't the two mvp penalty for in game forfeitures?

LRB6/Icepelt Edition: Ah!, when Blood Bowl made sense....
"1 in 36, my Nuffled arse!"
lunchmoney
Legend
Legend

Post by lunchmoney »

CONCEDING
A coach that concedes (see page 15) before setting up for a
kick-off where he could only field 2 or less players suffers no
additional penalties. If one coach concedes the match for any
other reason then the winner gains all of the loser's winnings and
MVP from this match. In addition, the loser automatically loses
one Fan Factor and may not roll for a new one, and any players
in the loser's team that have 51 SPPs or more will leave the
team on a D6 roll of 1-3. Roll separately for each player with 51
or more SPPs to see if they leave.
Nothing to stop the extra MVP going to the sme player as the regular MVP.

Hired Goon for the NAF (rep for South West England)
lunchmoneybb@gmail.com

TOs! You do not need multiple copies of rosters. It's a waste of paper.
Bribe level: good coffee.
#FlingNation find me on page 95
Fwav8or
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Fwav8or »

Greetings all,

Well, I managed to get the Wild Card and made it into the playoffs. We have a game this Sunday, and my first opponent is a Human team. The TV is 1,430K. According to his latest roster, he only has 11 players. He has an Ogre, 1 thrower, 2 catchers, 2 blitz, and 5 linemen. I have a TV of 1,280K and have 2 blitz, 2 runners, 2 troll slyrs, and 6 linemen. I have 150K to play with for inducements. Any recommendations?

Thanks guys!