League advice for a noob

Want to know how to beat your opponents, then get advice, or give advice here.

Moderators: Valen, TFF Mods

Jimmy Fantastic
Super Star
Super Star

Re: League advice for a noob

Post by Jimmy Fantastic »

Dr. Von Richten wrote:
Heff wrote:
Dr. Von Richten wrote:Sack the entire team and go play a proper team, like Skaven or Necro! :smoking:
I love you man :D
Honestly dwarves are not a good team to learn on, over skilled, slow, linear development and BORING.

Right back at ya! :D

Also, Fwav8or, even aside from his (and my) dislike of Dwarf Teams on general principle, Heff is right about them being not a good team to learn Blood Bowl with. They're very much a one trick pony, and when that trick (cage up, move forward slowly, blocking the opp out of the way until you're in range of the endzone, then stall) fails, you're left with not much options. Also, because they're so straightforward and one dimensional, and their actions so safe, you're not going to learn much in the way of risk management, lateral thinking or creativity.

I didn't recommend Skaven or Necro for nothing; neither team is easy to play, which forces you to learn to adapt, think ahead and take smart risks. Skaven is great on offense, but difficult on defense, and Necro is just difficult to start out with, but blossoms into a team with a ton of options for all situations. Another team that's like this is High Elfs; they start as the weakest elf team, and they really make you consider every single move in risk/reward terms, but they can become the best elf team eventually, and they're one of the few teams that can actually play the passing game.
That is some awful advice right there...

Reason: ''
DixonCider
Super Star
Super Star

Post by DixonCider »

I would try a team with more mobility to see what can be done with a wider variety of teams

Dr. Von Richten
Super Star
Super Star

Post by Dr. Von Richten »

Jimmy Fantastic wrote: That is some awful advice right there...
Care to elaborate?

Fassbinder75
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Fassbinder75 »

Jeez the new guy barely gets a post in before the Dwarf hate-brigade comes out in force. Just because Dwarves are optimally played in a boring manner, they don't have to be. I've beaten my best mate on a final turn TD with Dwarves taking the ball almost coast to coast (pass, catch, handoff, GFI) and have thrown a decent number of long passes with a league side. Lots of AG3, its quite do able.

minimakeovers.wordpress.com
Fwav8or
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Fwav8or »

Yeah, I was just asking for advice on team management, not team selection. I chose Dwarves because I thought they would suit my play style and I have very much enjoyed painting them and playing with them. But I have heard they are not the best team to learn on. I thank you all for your advice. I've scheduled my game for this Saturday. I'll let you know how it goes.

Oh yeah, and I do have a necro team that I want to try out next season. :D

Heff
Dwarf fetishist

Post by Heff »

I thought l was quite restrained. Anyway there is not a Dwarf hate brigade. There is me and my acolytes. I would have you know we are a CULT

Heff...Keeping the Dwarf (and lego) hate alive
If you cannot stall out for an 8 turn drive to score with dwarves then you need to go and play canasta with your dad..if you can find him.
MKL
Emerging Star
Emerging Star

Post by MKL »

Fwav8or wrote:Yeah, I was just asking for advice on team management, not team selection. I chose Dwarves because I thought they would suit my play style and I have very much enjoyed painting them and playing with them. But I have heard they are not the best team to learn on. I thank you all for your advice. I've scheduled my game for this Saturday. I'll let you know how it goes.

Oh yeah, and I do have a necro team that I want to try out next season. :D
Fwav8or, don't worry: it's a sort of running joke here.
There are the dwarves, the dwarf-haters, and Digger*, that hates everything isn't dead or dying :wink:

* Hail Digger, father of all us necromancer /bow

Fwav8or
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Fwav8or »

Hey guys, I finally played my Dwarf on Dwarf match yesterday. I won 2-1! I bought Boomer for my inducement and went straight for the death roller, which worked like a charm. We were tied 1-1 at the end of the first half. The second half, I thought he was going to score. He had the ball carrier by himself running down the sideline... BIG mistake. I was able to break my runner away from the pack and chase after him and push him into the crowd. It took out one of his guys and then the crowd threw the ball almost exactly in the middle of the field. I was able to pick it up and run around the defensive line and hand it off to my blitzer, who was left unguarded and he ran it in. It was a pretty cool game!

So here are some questions:
1.) I have a blitzer who gets a normal skill. I read on FUMBBL to get Mighty Blow. Would you agree with that, or is that FUMBBL specific? I was thinking either Mighty Blow, or Guard.
1.) I have 110K. I currently have 11 guys on my roster. I was thinking about picking up a 12th man. Then my next purchase will probably be an apothecary. Do you guys agree with the apothecary?

Heff
Dwarf fetishist

Post by Heff »

If you are going to play them.

Linos guard+ MB+SF then whatever you like.
Runners Block then utilities (Kick, leader, kick off return)
Blitzers Guard +mb (or other way, but normally guard) tackle SF, then whatever you like.
Ginger twats MB + pile on + Stand firm. then tackle but they are probably dead by now.
Deathrollers are for idiots, ignore them.
3 re rolls, down to two when you have leader.
Apo if you want but only ever use it on BH to keep player numbers up.
12 players and then pile up the gold.

That is the ONLY way to do them. Occasionally people will tell yo of the "exciting" ways they develop their team, they are doing it WRONG. Boring boring grind is the only way to go. The eight turn drive is king, never ever rush, watch your position. People will say you play dwarves to show that under your caring exterior you just want to be a c&nt, they are wrong true dwarf players play the team to put their c&ntishness into sharp relief. People will hate you, you do not care.

Played my first last and only tourney with them at the weekend. one boring win, two stunningly boring draws and 3 losses, one to Chaos who just got the cas needed, one v nurgle who got a blitz, and one v gobbos, who's laser guided bombs compounded the slew of double skulls I threw. I had two emotions, bored when they were behaving or frustrated when they weren't. Never again.

If you cannot stall out for an 8 turn drive to score with dwarves then you need to go and play canasta with your dad..if you can find him.
Jimmy Fantastic
Super Star
Super Star

Not too bad from Heff, but there is obviously more than one way to develop them.

Heff
Dwarf fetishist

Post by Heff »

Jimmy Fantastic wrote:Not too bad from Heff, but there is obviously more than one way to develop them.
I agree with you, as outlined above, or wrongly. It is just another part of the multiplicity of angles from which dwarves are dull.

Jimmy Fantastic
Super Star
Super Star

Guard MB SF, Guard MB Fend, Guard MB PO are all viable ways to build Blockers and Blitzers.
MB PO Juggs is optimal for Slayers, JU on doubles.
2 RR is fine, 3 RR if you may go to OT and depending on inducements.
11 men is fine for a lot of games, eventually going to 12 for a long time and more if there is cpomb about.

MKL
Emerging Star
Emerging Star

Post by MKL »

Heff wrote:(...)

That is the ONLY way to do them. Occasionally people will tell yo of the "exciting" ways they develop their team, they are doing it WRONG. Boring boring grind is the only way to go. The eight turn drive is king, never ever rush, watch your position. People will say you play dwarves to show that under your caring exterior you just want to be a c&nt, they are wrong true dwarf players play the team to put their c&ntishness into sharp relief. People will hate you, you do not care.
(...)
Chapeau! :orc:

Fwav8or
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Fwav8or »

I went with Guard for the Blitz and went ahead and bought a 12th man (lineman type). I like the leader idea and then dropping a re-roll if my runner gets another stat upgrade.

Heff, you have sound Dwarf advice to hate them as much as you do. You telling me you played them in a tournament gives me hope that you will turn from your wicked ways and embrace the suck that is Dwarf! :evil:

My next opponent is an Orc team. I am waiting for him to play his third game so we can schedule a match. He lost his first two games 0-4. He's got 2 B.O. Blockers, 3 Blitzers and the rest linemen. None of them have any upgraded stats at this point.

Any recommendations on strategy? Thanks again guys!

Fwav8or
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Fwav8or »

Hey guys, it was a sad day for the buccaneers... my runner that already had a skill upgrade got killed on the pitch by a dark elf assassin. It's all good though, i still beat 'em 2-0.

My question is this, my other runner ended up getting a skill upgrade and I rolled doubles. Would you take dodge? I'm was leaning towards that, but then I saw I could get guard too, which I really like guard.

Please share your thoughts! Thanks guys!