League advice for a noob

Want to know how to beat your opponents, then get advice, or give advice here.

Moderators: Valen, TFF Mods

MKL
Emerging Star
Emerging Star

Re: League advice for a noob

Post by MKL »

Well, the stock answer for a 150k difference is the Wizard.
Not ideal for dwarves (not enough speed/agility to take advantage of a spilled ball), but it's nasty enough for humans.

Reason: ''
swilhelm73
Star Player
Star Player

Post by swilhelm73 »

Fwav8or wrote:Greetings all,

Well, I managed to get the Wild Card and made it into the playoffs. We have a game this Sunday, and my first opponent is a Human team. The TV is 1,430K. According to his latest roster, he only has 11 players. He has an Ogre, 1 thrower, 2 catchers, 2 blitz, and 5 linemen. I have a TV of 1,280K and have 2 blitz, 2 runners, 2 troll slyrs, and 6 linemen. I have 150K to play with for inducements. Any recommendations?

Thanks guys!
150k exactly? Wizard.

Two catchers and only 11 players? Its going to be a tough match for him...

Fwav8or
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Fwav8or »

swilhelm73 wrote:Two catchers and only 11 players? Its going to be a tough match for him...
Well, he has a lot of stat boosts.

But anyways, I was hoping you guys would say Wizard. I haven't used one before and I think it will be fun. Are there any thoughts on Fireball vs. Lightning Bolt, or is it too situation dependent?

Also, I should have asked this in my original post, but if I beat the Human team, I will end up playing a double header. The second game will likely be against a Chaos team and that game would be for the league championship. The Chaos team has a TV of 1,580K, so I would get 300K in inducements. Any recommendations with that much money? The possibilities are endless. I was thinking about getting Flint Churnblade and a Wizard, or I could get a Merc Death Roller with a stat upgrade...

Any thoughts?

squirrelfanatic
Experienced
Experienced

Post by squirrelfanatic »

On a side-note, mattgslater gave some interesting insights into inducement options for 150TV, just in case fouling is more your thing than chasing the ball. :lol:

viewtopic.php?f=25&t=40702

mzukerman
Emerging Star
Emerging Star

Post by mzukerman »

For Nuffle's sake, don't forget to use the wizard! I've done that a few times...

"I reserve the right to change my predictions when they are no longer true. I am The Media." ~ Snob Costas
libloodbowl on Twitter
Long Island Blood Bowl League
Empire Cup
Heff
Dwarf fetishist

Post by Heff »

Also if you do get flint target the av8 NOT the av9 players. That and do not leave him where he can be got at, tho as he has block that is marginally less important than with other saws.

Heff...Keeping the Dwarf (and lego) hate alive
If you cannot stall out for an 8 turn drive to score with dwarves then you need to go and play canasta with your dad..if you can find him.
Fwav8or
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Fwav8or »

Well boys, my season has come to an end.

I just wanted to say thanks to the TalkFantasyFootball community for the good advice. It was my first league and my first game of the season was only my fourth game of Blood Bowl ever. I ended up with the wild card and making it to the playoffs and finishing 4th overall out of 12 teams with a record of 5-2-2. I feel pretty good about it.

As far as the game against the humans... I got smashed, 3-0. The coach was really good. However, despite my loss, it was the funnest I have had while playing Blood Bowl. We played in the sweltering heat and my Dwarves just got exhausted in the second half and started dropping like flies. On a side note, that darn Wizard proved absolutely useless to me! :(

I think the biggest lesson that I learned over the course of the season was to buy an Apo early. I learned that the hard way. :-?

For my next season, I don't think I will be playing Dwarves. I have a Necro team and a Human team. Any suggestions?

Thanks as always! This is a great community!

DixonCider
Super Star
Super Star

Post by DixonCider »

play a fun game or two with people in the league who have used one or the other is how I pick.

Digger Goreman
Legend
Legend
Location: Atlanta, GA., USA: Recruiting the Walking Dead for the Blood Bowl Zombie Nation

Post by Digger Goreman »

Fwav8or wrote: For my next season, I don't think I will be playing Dwarves. I have a Necro team and a Human team. Any suggestions?

Thanks as always! This is a great community!
First, I'm happiest you had fun!

Next I'm thrilled you are ready to take off the training wheels and get the taste of scrunts outta yer mouth....

Necros are the greatest and certainly a challenge to achieve a higher level of coaching and balance in your Blood Bowl career.... The antithesis of slow grind, without the crutch of "elfin" it easy.... And there is a long thread on playing them to their best potential viewtopic.php?f=25&t=38523

Necros vs the world of Blood Bowl!

LRB6/Icepelt Edition: Ah!, when Blood Bowl made sense....
"1 in 36, my Nuffled arse!"
Heff
Dwarf fetishist

Post by Heff »

Humans can be frustrating. I would play Necro.

Heff...Keeping the Dwarf (and lego) hate alive
If you cannot stall out for an 8 turn drive to score with dwarves then you need to go and play canasta with your dad..if you can find him.
Dr. Von Richten
Super Star
Super Star

Post by Dr. Von Richten »

Necro are awesome, Humans are boring. Play Necro! 8)

mzukerman
Emerging Star
Emerging Star

Post by mzukerman »

Humans can be fun, don't believe the hype.

However, I have to agree. Necro is really fun to play. Those werewolves are just awesome and I really like flesh golems. But count on losing ghouls at the worst times. They are expendable. Can't use an apothecary and they don't have regeneration.

Good luck!

"I reserve the right to change my predictions when they are no longer true. I am The Media." ~ Snob Costas
libloodbowl on Twitter
Long Island Blood Bowl League
Empire Cup
mattgslater
King of Comedy
Location: Far to the west, across the great desert, in the fabled Land of Comedy

Post by mattgslater »

This here Human coach thinks that at low-TV Humans can be totally dominant. They struggle a little against orc-types, but they've got some early advantages that are hard to counter, like their best scorers have access to Strength skills, so it's easy to Guard or MB/PO them up. Nothing boring about them, either, there's never a dull moment when you don't have either Strength or Agility and have to remove players to win games.

What is Nuffle's view? Through a window, two-by-three. He peers through snake eyes.
What is Nuffle's lawn? Inches, squares, and tackle zones: Reddened blades of grass.
What is Nuffle's tree? Risk its trunk, space the branches. Touchdowns are its fruit.
JaM
Legend
Legend

Post by JaM »

I agree with matt, i find necros quite a challenge though. If you can skill the wolves you will/can/should do fine.
Mine keep dying, unfortunately...

Digger Goreman
Legend
Legend
Location: Atlanta, GA., USA: Recruiting the Walking Dead for the Blood Bowl Zombie Nation

Post by Digger Goreman »

Ah, but there is nothing like retiring an opponent just to turn around and suit him up in your colors....

LRB6/Icepelt Edition: Ah!, when Blood Bowl made sense....
"1 in 36, my Nuffled arse!"