Gutter Runners - Is this "right"?

Want to know how to beat your opponents, then get advice, or give advice here.

Moderators: Valen, TFF Mods

Hjelmen_RT
Rookie
Rookie

Gutter Runners - Is this "right"?

Post by Hjelmen_RT »

Hi everyone! First time poster, long time lurker ;)

I'm playing in a league in my club, and after some eight matches, it's looking pretty good. I haven't had any significant injuries (other than a dead Storm Vermin), and plenty of money in the bank.

My last match was pretty spectacular, 5-2 win against Wood Elves, and I got a few skill-ups on two of my Gutter Runners that I wanted to get some opinions on. I have some kind of plan for building these guys, but I'm not sure I'm doing it exactly right either!

The first one has one skill already, which is Wrestle, and he rolled a 5-5 on his skull up. Since I'm building this one to go after the ball carrier, I'm thinking of giving him Horns. That'd allow him to blitz the ball carrier (or cage corner) with ST3, and with Wrestle that should be a good shot at getting the ball loose, or open up a cage.

The second one has one skill, or rather, he got +MA on his first level-up. And I'll be frittered if he didn't do that again! 6-4 on the skill roll. I'm don't really know if the best thing would be to give him the +MA, or a more defensive skill such as Block, or maybe Side Step. My arguments for the +MA is that he's an OTS, and a lot more reliably than the Sprint/Sure Feet variety, and it's always fun to be able to pressure the opponent with an OTTD. Also, how often do you get to have a player with MA11!?
The argument against is that he's only got Dodge to keep him on his feet, so Block would increase his odds of staying alive, which is always a good thing! But then again, if he lives to get the next 12 SPP, then I could give him Block at that point.

The rest of the team is mostly without skills, although I have a lineman with Kick, a Thrower with Strong Arm, a Gutter Runner with Block and Side Step, and another Gutter Runner with Block.

What do you think? Thanks in advance for the answers :)

Reason: ''
Pedda
Star Player
Star Player

Re: Gutter Runners - Is this "right"?

Post by Pedda »

I think you're on the right track.

I'd go with horns on the ball popper (strip ball next) and I'd also take the +MA.
He shouldn't have a problem scoring four more TDs.

lunchmoney
Legend
Legend

Post by lunchmoney »

Hjelmen_RT wrote:... how often do you get to have a player with MA11!?
Never, it's capped at 10. I'd take the MA for the OTTD threat, as you say, on both the 6+4 and the 5+5. Just my play style, but I like two OTTD threats as one is easy to get rid of.
They will level up quickly enough to get Block.

Hired Goon for the NAF (rep for South West England)
lunchmoneybb@gmail.com

TOs! You do not need multiple copies of rosters. It's a waste of paper.
Bribe level: good coffee.
#FlingNation find me on page 95
Hjelmen_RT
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Hjelmen_RT »

lunchmoney wrote:Never, it's capped at 10.
Damnit! I had totally missed that in the CRP! Well, that changes everything. One of them (the one that rolled 6+4) already has +MA, so he can't use the extra MA anyways...

+MA on the Wrestle player suddenly makes a lot more sense, but I really like the idea of Horns on the Wrestle player, to have a more mobile ball-stripper, where I don't have to get assists in all the time. But as you say, two possible OTTD is also pretty neat.

So, for the other guy, I have a normal skill to choose. Sprint seems like the best way to go, or what?

dode74
Ex-Cyanide/Focus toadie

Post by dode74 »

Sidestep on the MA10 guy makes the OTTD much easier. Horns on the wrestler is certainly a good option for a ball sacker/safety.

babass
Super Star
Super Star

Post by babass »

Also, how often do you get to have a player with MA11!?
never.
it's not allowed to have player with some >10 caracteristic...
i would give that already MA10 sidestep as new skill.

for the wrestler, horn sounds great, as he already has wrestle.. (next skill stripball)

Jimmy Fantastic
Super Star
Super Star

Post by Jimmy Fantastic »

Giving the MA10 guy anything other than Block or Wrestle is stupid. Horns for the Wrestler ofc.

SunDevil
Goblin Fancier

Post by SunDevil »

Horns and Sprint are my votes. Sprint will get that GR to his next skill the fastest and a Horns/Wrestle GR is amazing! He could go Tackle or Strip Ball next and be all set!

I thought about Dauntless after Horns but I can't remember how/if they work together. <scurries off to check rulebook>

This is Chance from THREE DIE BLOCK - Your Blood Bowl Podcast! Stay off the sidelines!
THANK YOU TO EVERYONE WHO HELPED MAKE THE SIMYIN A REALITY!!!
Vanguard
Super Star
Super Star

Post by Vanguard »

SunDevil wrote:I thought about Dauntless after Horns but I can't remember how/if they work together. <scurries off to check rulebook>
Dauntless takes effect after all other modifications, so you cannot use Dauntless to match strength and Horns to get +1 over and above that.

viewtopic.php?f=10&t=36796

DixonCider
Super Star
Super Star

Post by DixonCider »

I was able to get sprint on my move up gutter runner, it has been amazing. I only get the ball on turn 8/16? guard blitzers make a hole and I score :) For the next skill I will be going with sure feet. Currently he is running block, move up and sprint.

Hjelmen_RT
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Hjelmen_RT »

Good suggestions all around! Thanks!

I think I'm going with my initial plan of Horns on the Wrestler; it just seems like the best option for what I want to try out.

The MA10 guys is still a bit up in the air. I see the merit in both Side Step and Sprint, since Gutter Runners usually don't have any trouble getting the SPP for the next skill, which would most likely be Block. Wrestle makes sense too, but I not entirely sure about it.

But ... two MA10 guys with Wrestle is also pretty good! And I have two (well one, and soon two) GR with Block and Side Step already, which is almost the most survivable that a Gutter Runner gets, outside of +ST, and they should be able to score TDs easily as well.

Hm, hard choices... but if I know my fellow coaches they'll make it easy for me, by killing both players the second they get the chance! :lol: