I suck against Dwarves

Want to know how to beat your opponents, then get advice, or give advice here.

Moderators: Valen, TFF Mods

Hegel
Experienced
Experienced

I suck against Dwarves

Post by Hegel »

We mainly play short term leagues (about 10-15 matches per season, starting with rookie teams), all real life / tabletop, and I constantly suck against dwarves and chaos dwarves. Against most other teams I have a decent (meaning something like balanced) record, but stunties are my nemesis. I played orcs, wood elves and humans, and none of those teams managed to win against either of the two dwarf races. Best results were from wood elves but the team got so many injuries after a dwarfish encounter that it never really recovered. I managed to slow them down, but I rarely was able to break a cage. The last matches usually were a wee bit better because of more skills, but at rookie level it´s frustrating.

Now it´s time for a new season and I already know that amongst the participants there will be at least two dwarf and one chaos dwarf team again, so there´s a fatchance that I will have another rookie match against them. Do you have any hints how to do better - starting with advice on which team to choose ?

Thanks a lot !

Reason: ''
Aliboon
Super Star
Super Star

Re: I suck against Dwarves

Post by Aliboon »

Dwarves are a very strong rookie team, so its not too surprising you struggle against them.

Why don't you try one of the undead teams? Undead and Khemri should be able to outmuscle them (at least before they get a load of guard) and necros can get early claws to shred that AV9.

Joemanji
Power Gamer

Post by Joemanji »

Orcs should be a good team against Dwarfs. The little guys don't like all that ST. If you really want to ruin their fun, take Khemri!

*This post may have been made without the use of a hat.
swilhelm73
Star Player
Star Player

Post by swilhelm73 »

At low TV, Dwarves are arguably the best team. They tend to tail off, especially after your league starts to get some MB/Claw players.

Fast, agile teams can cause them problems though even at low TV - so with your league format I would suggest Elves or Skaven being a good counter.

If you find yourself taking a lot of injuries you are likely leaving too many players in contact. Remember, you don't need to crack the cage - just slow it down. Also, if you can get to the ball before the dwarves do they likely will not be able to recover and score...

Oventa
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Oventa »

Hehe,
Saldy you are in the wrong Division for us to practise.
I like playing dwarves
as well as playing against dwarves (yes I am strange)
Perhaps we can play and discuss once.

@joe: Kemri ? Really? I did not play much against them with dwarves, but I would feel rather confident in low TV
It is darkelves I a most afraid of with dwarves (followed by orcs)

Heff
Dwarf fetishist

Post by Heff »

Necros. Feed em zombies, they may die you don't care. Use your wolves to clip players off the edges and wait for the casualties. Hope for deep kicks. If you receive DO NOT SCORE FOR AT LEAST 4 TURNS five is better six to 8 is best.
If you have to kick just tarpit him with zombies and flesh golem. If he sends out feelers push them back. Delay and keep a ghoul forward and a wolf or wight back. At some point he will have to try and break out with a runner. Kill him. If you are lucky you can get the ball up and score in his drive. Then he cannot win and you cannot lose . well not normally.
Put your golem in the front of his cage. If he knocks em down they stay in the square. He needs to move the cage forward. Every square you stop him in makes his job that bit harder.

Orcs are better for stopping him with all that str 4. Necros are better at scoring in his turn as you can get the ball up to 16 squares forward with a hand off.

Heff...Keeping the Dwarf (and lego) hate alive
If you cannot stall out for an 8 turn drive to score with dwarves then you need to go and play canasta with your dad..if you can find him.
Smeborg
Legend
Legend

Post by Smeborg »

Take the Kick skill early, it tests Dwarfs nicely, their speed is their weakest point.

Hope that helps.

Smeborg the Fleshless
Joemanji
Power Gamer

Post by Joemanji »

Oventa wrote:@joe: Kemri ? Really? I did not play much against them with dwarves, but I would feel rather confident in low TV
Bit of a bogey game for Dwarfs I feel (see the tournament stats : http://naf.talkfantasyfootball.org/tr_110.html#Dwarves ). Dwarfs really do not like ST5 players. If you can mark up the Trollslayers it is like a 4 man advantage. I'd personally rather have Dark Elves or Undead as they are more responsive. But Khemri will cause problems, and perhaps without the same need for perfect positioning.

Be4ch
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Be4ch »

Agree with Joe there. I won my TT league last season with a Dwarf team and the toughest game I had all season was against a Khemri side. The Mummies were a real problem and even when I managed to hurt a few players they just regen'd back for the 2nd half. The only reason I managed to get a draw was my opponent underestimated how quickly the Dwarfs can score when in a hurry and some outrageously good luck when it was required.

Having played Dwarfs for a number of seasons the one thing you need to do is slow them down. Don't worry too much about breaking the cage just line up in front of it - stay out of contact and only give them the blitz each turn to try and knock a player down, deny them movement and they'll be forced to take a risk as the turns wind down. Speed is the biggest issue and, as someone said, if you have a kicker then a deep kick that send them scurrying back can give you a big advantage. It won't be an exciting game but you can't expect much more when playing Dwarfs

Oventa
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Oventa »

Joemanji wrote:
Oventa wrote:@joe: Kemri ? Really? I did not play much against them with dwarves, but I would feel rather confident in low TV
Bit of a bogey game for Dwarfs I feel (see the tournament stats : http://naf.talkfantasyfootball.org/tr_110.html#Dwarves ). Dwarfs really do not like ST5 players. If you can mark up the Trollslayers it is like a 4 man advantage. I'd personally rather have Dark Elves or Undead as they are more responsive. But Khemri will cause problems, and perhaps without the same need for perfect positioning.
Thanks Joe
Interesting as unexpected
Lizards, Khemri and undead are supposed to be the Worst nemesis of dwarves, if i read that table correctly.
Of the tier1 Teams i would have picked those as my favourites from my gut feeling, as all can be out-guarded.
So I checked my naf grid and see:
-Never played in naf with dwarves against Khemri
-lizard it is 4/1/0
-undead 5/1/1
Ok so those few numbers are not meaningful, but makes me at least understand my gut feeling :)

Joemanji
Power Gamer

Post by Joemanji »

Well, Carsten you are quite good. :smoking: I'm :

4/1/0 with Lizardmen against Dwarfs (the draw was a cataclysmic 1/81 to not get into the NAFC final. Grr). 1/0/0 in the reverse.
6/2/3 with Undead against Dwarfs. 3/1/3 in the reverse.
0/0/1 on both sides of the Khemri / Dwarf game.

I love being Lizardmen against Dwarfs. Just love it. I find six Saurus and a Kroxigor more than makes up for any number of Guard. And if they don't ... just run away with MA8 Skinks. I think this is one of the most one sided (tier one) games in tournaments (not in leagues as Block is harder to get). More so even than Lizards v Wood Elves maybe.

Oventa
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Oventa »

Joemanji wrote:Well, Carsten you are quite good. :smoking:
Or I just played the wrong coaches...
perhaps we need to do a friendly dwarves vs lizards match next month :)
Anyway food for thought for me.
cheers