Skills for Orc Thrower and Gobbo

Want to know how to beat your opponents, then get advice, or give advice here.

Moderators: Valen, TFF Mods

Pedda
Star Player
Star Player

Re: Skills for Orc Thrower and Gobbo

Post by Pedda »

MattDakka wrote:
Saebelsultan wrote: As for the Goblin, I see sense in Side Step and Sure Feet. Any (external) arguments why I should choose one over the other?
If you plan to throw him and 1TTD then Catch, Sure Feet and Sprint are the best skills.
If you don't plan to throw him then fire him.
Yeah, disregard my comment on side step if he's for throwing, which I think you wrote he was.

Reason: ''
Jimmy Fantastic
Super Star
Super Star

Post by Jimmy Fantastic »

Dr. Von Richten wrote:For those that play Orcs without a Thrower, do you give a Blitzer (or even a Lineman) Sure Hands?
Yeah, wait till one gets +MA or AG then surehands him up.

Dr. Von Richten
Super Star
Super Star

Post by Dr. Von Richten »

Jimmy Fantastic wrote:
Dr. Von Richten wrote:For those that play Orcs without a Thrower, do you give a Blitzer (or even a Lineman) Sure Hands?
Yeah, wait till one gets +MA or AG then surehands him up.
Ok, thanks! :)

Saebelsultan
Super Star
Super Star

Post by Saebelsultan »

I actually like the Gobbo on my team. It suits my style of play and gives me agility options now and again.
Even though, the repeated request to fire him made me think to do just that, then hire a rookie Goblin and therefore save 20k team value... A skill is nice, but worthwhile? Rather wait for a stat boost?

"This game is too good not to be played!" - Coach Pauli
Blood Bowl Beginner Kit
Saebelsultan's BB Dugouts
Digger Goreman
Legend
Legend
Location: Atlanta, GA., USA: Recruiting the Walking Dead for the Blood Bowl Zombie Nation

Post by Digger Goreman »

I am good with a pair of gobbs on an orc team (even three).... Simply giving a gobbo diving tackle is a real pain in your opposing ball carrier's arse!

LRB6/Icepelt Edition: Ah!, when Blood Bowl made sense....
"1 in 36, my Nuffled arse!"
MKL
Emerging Star
Emerging Star

Post by MKL »

Saebelsultan wrote:I actually like the Gobbo on my team. It suits my style of play and gives me agility options now and again.
Even though, the repeated request to fire him made me think to do just that, then hire a rookie Goblin and therefore save 20k team value... A skill is nice, but worthwhile? Rather wait for a stat boost?
Well, it depends on context.
Some of the posters here play on fumbbl, and are extremely competitive.
At the opposite side of the spectrum, a 12-games, tabletop league with five friends is another thing entirely: firing healthy players is probably exaggerated.

mattgslater
King of Comedy
Location: Far to the west, across the great desert, in the fabled Land of Comedy

Post by mattgslater »

I have run two different Gobbo builds on Orc teams. Side Step then Diving Tackle is fun, not sure it pulls its weight but it's fun. Fire and replace until you get doubles or a stat is another option. Or don't run Goblins. Which route you take is up to you.

I'd not take Sprint or Sure Feet or anything else just for one-turning. But I see the Sure Feet argument.

There's a million ways to build Orcs. Me, I'm marginally pro-Thrower, lets me punch with all my Blitzers. But at some point I may build into a carrier with +AG, and cut the Thrower, depends on how the team builds. Block is the #1 Thrower skill.

What is Nuffle's view? Through a window, two-by-three. He peers through snake eyes.
What is Nuffle's lawn? Inches, squares, and tackle zones: Reddened blades of grass.
What is Nuffle's tree? Risk its trunk, space the branches. Touchdowns are its fruit.
Saebelsultan
Super Star
Super Star

Post by Saebelsultan »

After having decided on block for the Thrower, I now went with Side Step on my Gobbo.
A) I like my Gobbo and try to sqeez as much fun out of him as possible and b) it gives somewhat more control (even though Nuffle laughs at my hoping it was so).

Thanks for the support. Always good to hear the differnt approaches!

Now I am looking into Lizardmen tourney strategies, but I think I look into the explicit literature first, before crying out for help yet again... :wink:

Blood Bowl Beginner Kit
Chris
Legend
Legend

Post by Chris »

For 40k (60k with sprint) I like one to 1 turn with as the 13th or 14th man in the team. If only because it means the troll becomes the focus of a lot of blocks towards the end of a half where I can try, rather than more valuable players.

Saebelsultan
Super Star
Super Star

Post by Saebelsultan »

Okay, I seem to be doing something wrong and end up scoring a lot with my Goblin. He is actually leading Most TDs in our league :o

In return that results in the next skill up.
He already has gotten Side Step. I usually do a running game and wouldn't throw the Goblin unless it is my last option.
I am now thinking into two directions:
1. Diving Catch, to open up the possibility of a completed pass once in a while.
2.1. Sure Feet, to indulge more into the running game and make GFI a little more reliable.
2.2. Sprint, also considering the running game and gaining a bit of range.

Any thoughts?

Blood Bowl Beginner Kit
Pedda
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Pedda »

He doesn't seem to have a problem scoring, so why give him more offense skills?

How about diving tackle, so he can pull his weight on defense as well?
Or, maybe cutting him and buying a new goblin, to keep the TV low.
He'd be 80k with two skills and is he really better than having two goblins?

Saebelsultan
Super Star
Super Star

Post by Saebelsultan »

I forgot to mention: I like the league fluff! Cutting an uninjured player just because he is getting too expensive might be the smart thing to do, but doesn't feel right to me.
So, yeah, I thought about cutting him, but decided against it.

And I will think about Diving Tackle. That very often, very quickly has about the same effect as cutting him though... :D
I also tend to not use him much on defense, because I simply don't have to.

Blood Bowl Beginner Kit
Pedda
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Pedda »

Saebelsultan wrote:And I will think about Diving Tackle. That very often, very quickly has about the same effect as cutting him though... :D
Why?
I'm not saying that you should put him next to a player (without support that is).
Sometimes your opponent will try to dodge through your line, forgetting about the goblin and that's then a turn over.
Saebelsultan wrote:I also tend to not use him much on defense, because I simply don't have to.
If that's the case, I'd go with sure feet followed by sprint.
You shouldn't pass with orcs unless you've got an AG4 thrower.