Taking the/my game to the next level: To act(ion) or not?

Want to know how to beat your opponents, then get advice, or give advice here.

Moderators: Valen, TFF Mods

Digger Goreman
Legend
Legend
Location: Atlanta, GA., USA: Recruiting the Walking Dead for the Blood Bowl Zombie Nation

Taking the/my game to the next level: To act(ion) or not?

Post by Digger Goreman »

Summarizing a few thoughts from years of BB and this blog:

1. EVERY action involving dice has a risk of (sometimes catastrophic) failure
2. Take non-dice actions first (unless there is a most crucial action requiring dice)
3. Rolling fewer dice involves less chance of failure
4. (Unless the situation dictates) Roll higher probability dice first

Using Samba's Action Calculator supports all the above.

In-game, though we curse nuffle, fate, luck, the dice; in playing the game, we choose to roll dice

In a recent tournament discussion, a coach (characterized as strong) chose to not throw a 2d+block, invoking 1&3 over 4....

This got me to thinking: Given that this is a dice game (or whatever platitude one likes to throw around), are/am we/I addicted to throwing dice, and are we fixating on a mistaken love of #4 (fixating on relatively high probability), at the ignore-ance of 1&3?!

So... ARE the better coaches actually NOT the lucky ones, but the ones who manage team and field to either a) roll the fewest dice on their side and/or b) making their opponents roll more dice AND, more importantly (if they are better coaches), how can we learn the arts and skills they have....

Commentors welcome, teachers needed!

Reason: ''
LRB6/Icepelt Edition: Ah!, when Blood Bowl made sense....
"1 in 36, my Nuffled arse!"
Jimmy Fantastic
Super Star
Super Star

Re: Taking the/my game to the next level: To act(ion) or not

Post by Jimmy Fantastic »

Yes of course better coaches are better at playing and not just lucky.

Digger Goreman
Legend
Legend
Location: Atlanta, GA., USA: Recruiting the Walking Dead for the Blood Bowl Zombie Nation

Post by Digger Goreman »

Uh, coach, could you take it a little slower? :roll:

sann0638
Kommissar Enthusiasmoff

Post by sann0638 »

The best match breakdown is on here somewhere by jimany, one of the best coaches in the world doing a play by play. Can't link on phone but search should help.

NAF Ex-President
Founder of SAWBBL, Swindon and Wiltshire's BB League - find us on Facebook and Discord
NAF Data wrangler
sann0638
Kommissar Enthusiasmoff

Post by sann0638 »

If you want to improve, play good coaches. Tournaments are best, but a good online league is also excellent.

NAF Ex-President
Founder of SAWBBL, Swindon and Wiltshire's BB League - find us on Facebook and Discord
NAF Data wrangler
BillyDee
Star Player
Star Player
Location: Sitting in front of a mountain of lead, that ain't gonna paint itself...

Post by BillyDee »

Or just play with elves...

"Nobody exists on purpose, nobody belongs anywhere, and everybody’s gonna die. Come watch TV?"
Digger Goreman
Legend
Legend

Post by Digger Goreman »

First, BD, you are just being a smart-ass child with his straw-man toy... save sarcasm for post-puberty... one day it has to kick in for you.... Secondly, while playing fairies capitalizes unfairly on the mitigation of #4, it doesn't help on 1&3, nor does it address the concerns of the hypothesis... not that you seem capable of doing so....

Hopefully more useful, and less -ronic, instructive commentary is forthcoming....

Saan... While I would love an endless lifestyle of money, minis and Blood Bowl tourneys, I am constrained by economics, availability and the wasteland that is SE USA.... So exploring the issue through blog interview and twice a month empirical study will have to suffice... hence why I withstand the barbs of the insufficient, hoping to gleen the essence of doing everything "right" in pursuit of best practices coaching.... Thanks for at least trying to be helpful... :)

Jimmy Fantastic
Super Star
Super Star

Digger Goreman wrote:First, BD, you are just being a smart-ass child with his straw-man toy... save sarcasm for post-puberty... one day it has to kick in for you.... Secondly, while playing fairies capitalizes unfairly on the mitigation of #4, it doesn't help on 1&3, nor does it address the concerns of the hypothesis... not that you seem capable of doing so....

Hopefully more useful, and less -ronic, instructive commentary is forthcoming....

Saan... While I would love an endless lifestyle of money, minis and Blood Bowl tourneys, I am constrained by economics, availability and the wasteland that is SE USA.... So exploring the issue through blog interview and twice a month empirical study will have to suffice... hence why I withstand the barbs of the insufficient, hoping to gleen the essence of doing everything "right" in pursuit of best practices coaching.... Thanks for at least trying to be helpful... :)
Oh OK so you are just trolling.

sann0638
Kommissar Enthusiasmoff

Post by sann0638 »

Theorybowl will not make you better. Only playing. Online leagues are your friend.

NAF Ex-President
NAF Data wrangler
Waldorf28
Emerging Star
Emerging Star

Post by Waldorf28 »

Digger Goreman wrote:First, BD, you are just being a smart-ass child with his straw-man toy... save sarcasm for post-puberty... one day it has to kick in for you....
This seems a bit rich given what you have in your sig.

Commissioner at the UKBBL.
mawph
Super Star
Super Star

Post by mawph »

sann0638 wrote:The best match breakdown is on here somewhere by jimany, one of the best coaches in the world doing a play by play. Can't link on phone but search should help.
With a few mins on my hands I found and read the article and its here: viewtopic.php?f=34&t=38061 a good read for sure (alongside any of Sizzler's write ups as mentioned in Jim's preamble)

Blackshirt Hunter Extraordinaire (2004)
Fish out of water (Waterbowl 2012)
Winner Thrud 2019!
Gaixo
Ex-Mega Star, now just a Super Star
Ex-Mega Star, now just a Super Star

Post by Gaixo »

Digger Goreman wrote: the wasteland that is SE USA...
Deep South, maybe. We'll have had at least ten tournaments take place in the area between DC and South Carolina this year. By American standards that's hardly a wasteland. I used to travel from Virginia Beach to Georgia Tech on a fairly regular basis, and while it's not a super fun drive, it's not unmanageable either. Of course, I can't guarantee that you won't be matched up against one of the ten teams you're opposed to playing.

Digger Goreman
Legend
Legend

Post by Digger Goreman »

So, trying to get back on track from the intentional derailers:

I read the match report and found a couple nuggets of gold in the handling of the treeman. It is this and the first post cited decision not to take an obviously favorable block that intrigues me and makes me wonder actively about the decisions involved in not taking actions... therein, I think, lies a quality of BB that I am hoping to tap into better....

Jimmy Fantastic
Super Star
Super Star

a) It's rarely "obviously favorable" to block with a no block loner negatrait player, especially when he is in a good position.
b) Is this really such a big a deal to you or are you trolling? How much BB have you played?

frogboy
Legend
Legend

Post by frogboy »

Is there any room for fun in the over analysed OP ? I mean for people who want to get better just play the game, or we can get our calculators out and battle :puke:

True or False, People who roll less dice win ?

I dont know about others but if your not rolling dice your not playing the game, thats why I foul in every turn :orc:

I'm a British Freebooter, will play for any team including Undead (I have my own Apothecary). Good rates.