Taking the/my game to the next level: To act(ion) or not?

Want to know how to beat your opponents, then get advice, or give advice here.

Moderators: Valen, TFF Mods

squirrelfanatic
Experienced
Experienced

Re: Taking the/my game to the next level: To act(ion) or not

Post by squirrelfanatic »

Pedda wrote:I didn't move the treeman that turn, since I'd already used the RR. If he'd rooted I'd left my opponent with one problem less to worry about.
As it turn out in this case, I could blitz with the treeman the next turn. Wouldn't have been a threat/option if I'd rooted the turn before.
Of course, I didn't think of that and just looked at the Treeman as a player without the team around it. Something learned again.

Reason: ''
Pedda
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Pedda »

Jimmy Fantastic wrote: Pedda - Again like most questions in BB it depends. Generally activating a Treeman to mark a single player is not worth it but circumstances could dictate that it was.
Agreed. There are so many factors that needs to be taken into account to really answer the question. Like, which race is the opponent playing, what's the position of the players, what's the score, which turn is it, who's got the player advantage and so on.

I asked the question because I tried to highlight that it's not always about just that roll. If a treeman (on a halfling team) roots you've lost one of your best players for that drive (except that he can throw players). This means that it's not just a 1/6 risk of failure, you also need to consider the real risk and that's the case in most situations.
Even if it's a 2d block with block, you still have to think about the double skull. Would that expose the BC?
Then maybe, it isn't worth it, but again, it depends on all the parameters.

Digger Goreman
Legend
Legend
Location: Atlanta, GA., USA: Recruiting the Walking Dead for the Blood Bowl Zombie Nation

Post by Digger Goreman »

The ghoul and treeman examples are getting into the ballpark/pitch on what I was thinking when I proposed the question/thesis.... And the thought on "what if the double skulls" is always on our minds when it is more obvious, but what about when it is not? When IS nothing better than something?! When it is just the odds on choice... to avoid 1/9(36) disaster... or something less tangible???

I just played a totally losing game against the luckiest mother-elfer in the world, yet felt more in control of my game by not rolling all the odds on dice just because I could.... I suffer often from VUK-luck (LOTSA ones) and watched my opponent throw the evening out 6s every elfin time he had a go at the ball (in the rain), while my extra arms pestigor made one pick up the whole game! He put both my block warriors in the hurt locker the first half while I was lucky to MNG one blitzer the whole game.... Yet, for the results, I felt (as did opponent and most knowledgeable spectator) that there were no unsound moves....

Nevertheless, if I can tighten up my game even further, maybe I can occasionally beat Coach, Nuffle AND Luck.... THAT is why I must try, even if it seems like I must face the Abyss of unknowing, throw away the ring of ego, and get metaphysical on Nuff's arse!!!

So, yeah, what VUK said about searching for the je nai cest qua in the latter years of one's coaching....

I refuse to believe it ends at simple, quantitative knowledge!

LRB6/Icepelt Edition: Ah!, when Blood Bowl made sense....
"1 in 36, my Nuffled arse!"
Heff
Dwarf fetishist

Post by Heff »

I think that the big thing about getting better is to learn to blame yourself for your mistakes not your dice, his dice, the weather or whatever. Played a guy on FUMBBL the other day who I destroyed, he got v upset blamed me for all sorts of things, blamed his poor showing on the "Dicing" I had given him, practically accused me of mindgames by stating that I had lost a player in an early game, gave up on the last quarter of the game and just screamed at me to get on with it, you know a real Ahole.
Anyway I checked him out and saw he had played 1000 games so thought maybe it was me. Ended up stalking him on box all night, he played three games, in all of them he complained about his "luck" moaned about the dicing he was getting and generally went on.
Thing was he was always poorly positioned, he was always making one dicers cos his opponent was able to cover properly, was constantly going for it when he did not need to, and was consistently fouling the wrong player (he was also fouling all the time to no advantage for himself). For example in my game he fouled my flesh golem in preference to my wight. Go ahead mate put 5 players on my prone AV9 thick skull bloke for 3 turns, I will just go over here and score with my wolf shall I. Finally he always gave up about 2/3 of the way in and just lay there like a starfish taking it where the sun don't shine.
bloke was a moron but his biggest mistake was blaming everybody else. I reckon he will still be as bad at game 10k cos he has no responsibility.

Guy at my league was saying the other day that the real good players don't say "hey it was a gfi to win and I rolled a 1" they say "What did I do wrong LAST turn to make that roll necessary"

Heff...Keeping the Dwarf (and lego) hate alive
If you cannot stall out for an 8 turn drive to score with dwarves then you need to go and play canasta with your dad..if you can find him.
Jimmy Fantastic
Super Star
Super Star

Post by Jimmy Fantastic »

Heff wrote:Guy at my league was saying the other day that the real good players don't say "hey it was a gfi to win and I rolled a 1" they say "What did I do wrong LAST turn to make that roll necessary"
Tru dat.

Digger Goreman
Legend
Legend
Location: Atlanta, GA., USA: Recruiting the Walking Dead for the Blood Bowl Zombie Nation

Post by Digger Goreman »

Appreciate the observation, Heff, and am (as in the original post) looking past the dice and drama (my positioning game is usually tight), to explore the deeper abilities of/in gameplay. Already looking past the easy solutions to the je nais cest qua of best play....

Again, not willing to just give in to frustration, or to playing the abuse list below....

sann0638
Kommissar Enthusiasmoff

Post by sann0638 »

Dip your toe online, then people will watch your replays and comment with glee :D

NAF Ex-President
Founder of SAWBBL, Swindon and Wiltshire's BB League - find us on Facebook and Discord
NAF Data wrangler
mattgslater
King of Comedy
Location: Far to the west, across the great desert, in the fabled Land of Comedy

Post by mattgslater »

What Sann said. Just a few games here and there. Look me up, I'll play you with Welcome to Ranked!

What is Nuffle's view? Through a window, two-by-three. He peers through snake eyes.
What is Nuffle's lawn? Inches, squares, and tackle zones: Reddened blades of grass.
What is Nuffle's tree? Risk its trunk, space the branches. Touchdowns are its fruit.
Digger Goreman
Legend
Legend

Post by Digger Goreman »

Looked at a few of the games over the last week, more perplexing than not so far as I thought there were better positioning options in most games.... I'll watch more as I am able... Actual play will have to wait for free times....

squirrelfanatic
Experienced
Experienced

And if you need some total rookie to play against, let me know. I wanted to get into FUMBBL for ages now, have been registered since 2011... yeah.

Oh and thanks sann for those videos. Even though it all looks very intiutive, it's great to have a commented tutorial to watch.

J_Bone
Super Star
Super Star

Post by J_Bone »

Heff wrote:Guy at my league was saying the other day that the real good players don't say "hey it was a gfi to win and I rolled a 1" they say "What did I do wrong LAST turn to make that roll necessary"
Yeah... That's where I'm trying to get to at the moment. Straight after my match last night I thought it over and realised all of my mistakes. Still a good performance but could have improved upon it. That's the way to improve. Well said, that man.

The brains behind the Double Skulls Podcast http://doubleskulls.libsyn.com/

Beardman.
sann0638
Kommissar Enthusiasmoff

Post by sann0638 »

squirrelfanatic wrote: Oh and thanks sann for those videos. Even though it all looks very intiutive, it's great to have a commented tutorial to watch.
A pleasure. Doing another one this evening :)

NAF Ex-President
Founder of SAWBBL, Swindon and Wiltshire's BB League - find us on Facebook and Discord
NAF Data wrangler
squirrelfanatic
Experienced
Experienced

Fantastic, commented matches are exactly what I'm looking for at the moment. Shame that the resolution is so low, the text on screen becomes unreadable and generally it's difficult to follow what's going on. I guess this is due to the size constraints for videos on youtube? Maybe consider chopping the one file up into several parts and increase the resolution a bit.

The commentary was great though, thanks again!

sann0638
Kommissar Enthusiasmoff

Post by sann0638 »

Glad you enjoyed it. Because it was a whole match, I tried a lower resolution to speed up the creation process, but it's not usable, so I'm going to do it again at the higher resolution, just need to leave it running a while.

NAF Ex-President
NAF Data wrangler
Fold
Experienced
Experienced

Post by Fold »

Is there a link to these videos that I'm missing?