Apothecaries: can I get a second opinion, please?

Want to know how to beat your opponents, then get advice, or give advice here.

Moderators: Valen, TFF Mods

Sword of Solkan
Experienced
Experienced

Apothecaries: can I get a second opinion, please?

Post by Sword of Solkan »

My Slann team has survived its first couple of matches, and managed to scrape together the cash to afford an apothecary.

Now that I’ve got an apothecary, I’m wondering when to use it.

Do you use your apothecary when:

• A positional player is Badly Hurt;
• A positional player is hit with MNG;
• A positional player suffers a niggling injury;
• A positional player suffers a stat break;
• A lineman is Badly Hurt;
• A lineman needs to MNG;
• A lineman suffers a niggling injury;
• A lineman suffers a stat break; or
• A lineman is killed?

By way of context, I only have 11 players (and one of them’s a journeyman), so any injury’s going to see my team a player down for the rest of the match. Only one of my players has a skill. My next match is against a Pro Elf team.

Reason: ''
adhansa
Experienced
Experienced

Re: Apothecaries: can I get a second opinion, please?

Post by adhansa »

Presuming it is not a match absolutely important to win then more or less:

The bashier opposition and the more unreplaceble stars in your team the later you start healing everyone.

Early game:
• A positional player suffers a niggling injury;
• A positional player suffers a stat break;
• A positional is killed

in addition somewhere mid- game
• A lineman suffers a niggling injury;
• A lineman suffers a stat break
• A lineman is killed
• A player important for next match gets MNG

Hjelmen_RT
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Hjelmen_RT »

I'd usually only use an apothecary on positionals, and then only if they aren't easily replaced. Almost never for a badly hurt or MNG, but a niggle, stat-injury or death, it's a consideration on how important the player is for my team. If my rookie Gutter Runner breaks his head, I might save the Apo if the match is still in the early turns, because it's more important to be able to save my Star Gutter Runner from the grave.

On linemen, it's up to the skill-set, but it'd have to be pretty good to keep. For instance, a lineman with Blodge can will do his job with AG2, but not -ST. Otherwise I can live with a journeyman.

So, for me, it's a lot to do with the way the team plays together, and not so much about the individual player. And of course, the opposition and how far the match has gone already will be a factor too.

I hope that helps :)

txapo
Star Player
Star Player

Post by txapo »

Don't forget that you can as well use it for a KO to become just stuned, and avoid so that your player leaves the pitch.

I sometimes use it that way on the first turn of the second half against slow teams if you can win the game!! :smoking:

mattgslater
King of Comedy
Location: Far to the west, across the great desert, in the fabled Land of Comedy

Post by mattgslater »

In a league, I usually use it only on a dead/damaged player I wanted to keep. And I must say, meh. 2/3 is unreliable as hell. I'm learning, for example, not to Apoth -MA on a Guard lino if it happens in the first half.

In open TV-based play, where dead players aren't a big deal, I usually use it early if a good player goes KO or BH ... if I think the math says I should be winning the number war. Sort of an insurance policy vs bad dice. But not if I'm expecting to maybe take a lot of damage.

What is Nuffle's view? Through a window, two-by-three. He peers through snake eyes.
What is Nuffle's lawn? Inches, squares, and tackle zones: Reddened blades of grass.
What is Nuffle's tree? Risk its trunk, space the branches. Touchdowns are its fruit.
Smeborg
Legend
Legend

Post by Smeborg »

In a league, the Apoth should ideally only be used on players with SPPs/skills whom you want to preserve, and only when they suffer death or permanent injury.

I run my Slann teams with only Catchers and Linefrogs (no Krox or Blitzers), so I do not need to worry too much at the loss of a rookie player with no SPPs (maximum is 80,000 gps).

Hope that helps.

Smeborg the Fleshless