help guys gaming chick need help

Want to know how to beat your opponents, then get advice, or give advice here.

Moderators: Valen, TFF Mods

jill32hturner
Rookie
Rookie

Re: help guys gaming chick need help

Post by jill32hturner »

Awwwww thank you guys for all your help. Im honest undead team is looking good as they have a bit of everything in the team

Reason: ''
J_Bone
Super Star
Super Star

Post by J_Bone »

Heff wrote:My Granny lived in Kettering. Last went there in 1980. It was like the Moss Eisley Cantina but without any of the charm.
A mate of mine lives in Kettering. They still just play that one song over and over... Maddening.

The brains behind the Double Skulls Podcast http://doubleskulls.libsyn.com/

Beardman.
mzukerman
Emerging Star
Emerging Star

Post by mzukerman »

Let me tell you of the story of the one woman in our league who got started. She also picked undead and has played them for two seasons. I'll mention that her boyfriend is on these boards (bizzydog) every once in a while so he can keep me honest.

Our league had always been friendly to newcomers but we had never had anyone who was female even spark an interest. Some of us are married and our wives consider themselves Blood Bowl widows as well. Anyway, one of the guys approached me that he was interested in teaching his girlfriend (new at the time, although they had been close friends for a while) how to play and she was interested in joining. My immediate reaction was skeptical. And I was very honest with him. What would happen if they broke up? What would happen if there was an issue with her fitting in - did it mean he and his best friend would drop? After talking, he told me that he would be making sure she knew the rules and that her being there didn't impact he and his friend being there so I said, sure let's give it a whirl.

Now, did I treat this differently than I would have someone bringing in any old friend? Yes. I admit it. I like to think I'm very egalitarian. My board gaming group is a very good cross-section of women and men. My old D&D group was an even split between women and men. My wife is a gamer. What concerned me was the boyfriend/girlfriend dynamic. That had me a little scared.

Her first season was kind of rocky. I think for the most part, the guys in the league gave her the benefit of the doubt, but she had a few issues with some games that didn't go her way and I received some complaints about her sportsmanship. I spoke with her boyfriend about it and he spoke with her. I wish I had spoken with her directly, but the other issue was that she was very distant from the league. He wrote virtually all of her emails and scheduled her games. A joke came out of that where the league began to refer to them like Bennifer and Branjolina.

After the first season, I kind of expected her to drop because I didn't think she was having a good time. But he said she was in and I was glad to see that I was on her schedule this season so I could see first hand what was going on. Then she apparently started having fun with the game. She and I played and we had a great time. It was competitive, we joked around and she seemed much more comfortable. One night she had a make-up game and came to the game store in her comfortable PJs which was a real laugh for everyone involved. People started looking forward to playing her. We still wanted her to get more integrated into the league (send her own emails, schedule her own games) and she's working on that. We even had a riff in the league that involved her boyfriend and his best friend and she was very mature about it and kept her distance. When it all resolved , she jumped right back in with both feet.

I would say that she is a welcome addition to our league and I would love to see the league get more egalitarian. There's a great dynamic that we aren't necessarily tapping into that makes us all better gamers.

I tell this story not assuming that you would have similar issues or face similar attitudes. I advise you to integrate yourself into the league. You're a gamer first and that should stand on its own. If you are having fun, the guys in the league will have fun. And if you face any of the jerks out there who think that women don't have a place at the Blood Bowl table, then don't give them any attention and grind their pieces into the astrogranite.

"I reserve the right to change my predictions when they are no longer true. I am The Media." ~ Snob Costas
libloodbowl on Twitter
Long Island Blood Bowl League
Empire Cup
jill32hturner
Rookie
Rookie

Post by jill32hturner »

Thank you. Im hosting a friendly bb game tonight at my house going to try undead to see how fun they are will let people know how i get on

Digger Goreman
Legend
Legend
Location: Atlanta, GA., USA: Recruiting the Walking Dead for the Blood Bowl Zombie Nation

Post by Digger Goreman »

Aaaaaannnnd, people easily dismiss what does not match their preconceived notions, no matter how well reasoned... But that is everywhere, no...?

bbtactics.com and fumbbl.com have tons of reasonably well written materials on tactics and teams, so make a good place to start, as well as what can be gleaned from my Necrotacticum and Necro thread

LRB6/Icepelt Edition: Ah!, when Blood Bowl made sense....
"1 in 36, my Nuffled arse!"
Heff
Dwarf fetishist

Post by Heff »

Digger

l have a clearly thought out and reasonable position on Dwarves
You are knee jerk and uunreasonable about elves
The rest of the board are prejudiced and bigoted about us. :x :D

Heff...Keeping the Dwarf (and lego) hate alive
If you cannot stall out for an 8 turn drive to score with dwarves then you need to go and play canasta with your dad..if you can find him.
sann0638
Kommissar Enthusiasmoff

Post by sann0638 »

Jill, do check out thenaf.net too - lots of useful stuff on there.

NAF Ex-President
Founder of SAWBBL, Swindon and Wiltshire's BB League - find us on Facebook and Discord
NAF Data wrangler
voyagers_uk
Da Cynic
Location: Nice Red Uniforms and Fanatical devotion to the Pope!

Post by voyagers_uk »

Oh for a soft padded room to lock heff and digger in

Ikterus wrote: But for the record, play Voyagers_UK if you have the chance. He's cursed! :P
voyagers_uk
Da Cynic
Location: Nice Red Uniforms and Fanatical devotion to the Pope!

Post by voyagers_uk »

Welcome Jill, obey the rules of the forum and enjoy the resource this place provides

Ikterus wrote: But for the record, play Voyagers_UK if you have the chance. He's cursed! :P
Digger Goreman
Legend
Legend
Location: Atlanta, GA., USA: Recruiting the Walking Dead for the Blood Bowl Zombie Nation

Post by Digger Goreman »

Heff wrote:Digger

l have a clearly thought out and reasonable position on Dwarves
You are knee jerk and uunreasonable about elves
The rest of the board are prejudiced and bigoted about us. :x :D
Spell checker, bon ami, spell checker....

Well, you are half right....

OH, were you trying to be a wit?! :P

Mostly kidding....

... and, yeah, people get really knicker-twisted bout their suggesting curbs for their faves....

LRB6/Icepelt Edition: Ah!, when Blood Bowl made sense....
"1 in 36, my Nuffled arse!"
Smeborg
Legend
Legend

Post by Smeborg »

jill - I would say that Undead are perhaps the easiest team to play for first-time players. They perform well at the start and the role of each player-type is very clear.

Of the 3 teams that you mentioned at the top, Chaos are the easiest to play (and the best performing at the start). They are not as bad as others on this thread would have you believe. You have to play conservatively and safely at the start because the team lacks Block and ball skills (such as Sure Hands).

Khemri are a lot of fun, but are an unforgiving team. Small positional errors will cost you. I am an experienced coach and I have recently started playing Khemri because of their challenging nature. It will improve my Blood Bowl (I hope!). My motto for the team is: "Always on the ball" (they are so bad at picking up the ball that they lie on it instead - be warned).

Hope that helps and let us know how you get on.

Smeborg the Fleshless
jill32hturner
Rookie
Rookie

Post by jill32hturner »

Well after that i lost 2-1 against skaven. Wow they move quick. But i did kill his big rat monster. Sorry cant remember what its called. I love mummies lol. Bu there movement sucks. But as a team very good fun. Was 2 games on. My friend won 4-2 and he is wood elves. Who i have next game

mzukerman
Emerging Star
Emerging Star

Post by mzukerman »

Sounds like you're having fun. That's what matters.

"I reserve the right to change my predictions when they are no longer true. I am The Media." ~ Snob Costas
libloodbowl on Twitter
Long Island Blood Bowl League
Empire Cup
mattgslater
King of Comedy
Location: Far to the west, across the great desert, in the fabled Land of Comedy

Post by mattgslater »

Get Tackle and Mighty Blow on your Wights and Guard on your Mummies. You'll thank yourself for it.

Can you get your roster up to 12+ men? Foul those Wood Elves with your Zombies or Skeletons if you have reserves. Foul early, foul often, foul Wardancers most of all.

What is Nuffle's view? Through a window, two-by-three. He peers through snake eyes.
What is Nuffle's lawn? Inches, squares, and tackle zones: Reddened blades of grass.
What is Nuffle's tree? Risk its trunk, space the branches. Touchdowns are its fruit.
MattDakka
Super Star
Super Star

Post by MattDakka »

mattgslater wrote:Get Tackle and Mighty Blow on your Wights.
Don't forget the most important skill of the damage-dealing holy trinity: Piling On.
:D