help guys gaming chick need help

Want to know how to beat your opponents, then get advice, or give advice here.

Moderators: Valen, TFF Mods

mzukerman
Emerging Star
Emerging Star

Re: help guys gaming chick need help

Post by mzukerman »

If those three are the only team to choose from I'd also go with Chaos. Chaos has one main advantage that Khemri doesn't. You only have two types of players to worry what their skills are. That's important to simplify where possible. Plus, you only have to worry about what horns does. Vampires can get complex in the beginning. Only two roles as well, but hypnotic gaze and blood lust are very tough to learn at the beginning.

I usually encourage new players to take either Chaos, Orcs, Lizardmen or Undead. They are very forgiving teams and range in complexity but are all pretty easy to play.

Reason: ''
"I reserve the right to change my predictions when they are no longer true. I am The Media." ~ Snob Costas
libloodbowl on Twitter
Long Island Blood Bowl League
Empire Cup
jill32hturner
Rookie
Rookie

Post by jill32hturner »

Thank you for you advice. I do like a fast team. But as im like a kid in a sweet shop. As soon i see a team i want it lol. I think i will agree i like tabletop as it is. But i think i will also try the online aswell. And a friend told me to come on here. As he said you are a great group of people. And i can say very friendly.

And i understand games workshop is a company and they push everything to sell to make koney. But isnt gameswork shop people that done blood bowl.

mzukerman
Emerging Star
Emerging Star

Post by mzukerman »

Technically, yes. However they gave up on the game a long time ago and you're chatting with the real folks that keep it alive. Us and the retailers like Impact Minatures, FF-Fields and many others that cater to the hobbyists like us.

Where in the world are you from? There may be some local leagues or tournaments for you to hook up with and find out more.

"I reserve the right to change my predictions when they are no longer true. I am The Media." ~ Snob Costas
libloodbowl on Twitter
Long Island Blood Bowl League
Empire Cup
swilhelm73
Star Player
Star Player

Post by swilhelm73 »

I would argue Chaos is one of the harder sides to start with.

With no block, sure hands, +ag, dodge, etc you have to know how to schedule your actions and when to use your rerolls

Jimmy Fantastic
Super Star
Super Star

Post by Jimmy Fantastic »

The easiest races are Orcs, Undead & Wood Elfs. Probably best to start with Orcs as the others have weaknesses.

jill32hturner
Rookie
Rookie

Post by jill32hturner »

Well what i have herd im glad gw gave it up. Think they would ruin the game now. With add ons and changing rules to buy new models. Im in midlands close to nothampton. And thank you to everyones help

besters
Ex-Mega Star, now just a Super Star
Ex-Mega Star, now just a Super Star

Post by besters »

I think there is a league in Daventry if you are interested.

Heff
Dwarf fetishist

Post by Heff »

Hi,
Do not start with dwarves, in fact never play them, they are SOOOO BORING.
Zons are also a bit dull but forgiving for a newb. 4 blodgers off the bat who are really good, cheap players, cheap re-rolls and dodge to keep you on your feet.
But really what others have said, orcs or undead, undead are faster but orcs are more solid. And play a league. 145 on FUMBBl is good and you are less likely to face a wall of abuse for being a girl on there than on other gaming sites. Also tabletop leagues are good cos people will be eager to give you tips.

As to computer versions. MM on cyanide is a snakepit, or was when I last went on there a few years ago. Full of abusive kids moaning that I was so lucky cos I could make a 3+dodge and my 2 dicers put over their players. Fummbl leagues are good but ranked is inhabited by sharks who go round picking newbs and destroying their teams with min maxed abominations (they will have 12 players, 2 will be monsters and the rest rookies, there is one guy on there with a Chaos Dwarf team of 6 claw Mighty Blow pile on abominations and six rookie hobgoblins, never bothers with the ball just comes over and goes sploosh on your team).

Dropped into gw several years ago with my then girlfriend. bloke came up and asked her if she played. If looks could maim he would have left in a box.

Heff...Keeping the Dwarf (and lego) hate alive
If you cannot stall out for an 8 turn drive to score with dwarves then you need to go and play canasta with your dad..if you can find him.
jill32hturner
Rookie
Rookie

Post by jill32hturner »

Thank you heff for the heads up.

I leave closer to Kettering side of northampton but might message them thank you

Digger Goreman
Legend
Legend
Location: Atlanta, GA., USA: Recruiting the Walking Dead for the Blood Bowl Zombie Nation

Post by Digger Goreman »

Heff wrote:Hi,
Do not start with dwarves, in fact never play them, they are SOOOO BORING.
Ditto elves of all stripes....

Anyway, besides undead being so unforgiving, it is easy to branch out into Necro, Khemri and even Nurgle by sharing miniatures....

Another suggestion is to find a lad with an old second edition, plastic set with base rings, and proxy till you find the team style you like....

Bon courage....

LRB6/Icepelt Edition: Ah!, when Blood Bowl made sense....
"1 in 36, my Nuffled arse!"
jill32hturner
Rookie
Rookie

Post by jill32hturner »

Thanks digger

burgun824
    Legend
    Legend

Post by burgun824 »

Add another vote for Orcs. Definitely and nice base team to learn how to bash and 2-1 grind.

frogboy
    Legend
    Legend

Post by frogboy »

The main things to remember for noobs like us is...

1) don't get attached to your players, they will die.
    2) don't ever expect to win, you will loose
    3) re-rolls give you the exact same chance to fail again, nothing is guaranteed
    4) there's nothing more frustrating than a dodging stunty when you don't have tackle.
    7) sometimes it don't matter what you do, the dice will say no
    6) maths is your friend, counting and shit.
    !) Foul actions are just like a free blitz haha :D

Now let me voice what everyone else must have been thinking after reading an earlier post. Nagash would never fit on the Blood Bowl pitch !!!
    :o

I'm a British Freebooter, will play for any team including Undead (I have my own Apothecary). Good rates.
    Loki
    Legend
    Legend

Post by Loki »

Heff wrote:Do not start with dwarves, in fact never play them, they are SOOOO BORING.
    Digger Goreman wrote:Ditto elves of all stripes....
    I would add that some people have a personal axe to grind; 'this team is overpowered', 'that team will mean you never lose'. As with so much on the internet do be prepared to take some of the hyperbole with a pinch of salt, with so many teams there will be some that suit your play style and probably some that don't, try giving a few types a go.

If you are going to play in a league definitely give something with a bit more survivability AV8 or AV9 a go, it can be a bit dispiriting when half your team is turned into Journeymen every other game. It is also helpful to have some skills upfront. I would reiterate what others have said Orc's are resiliant with a good mix of player types to try out different things. Others team I would put in the mix are Dark Elf, Human, Undead and Dwarf. If you are just going to start with one off games just pick what every you want but the same general principles apply AV7 you'll lose players, few starting skill you will probagly end your go earlier than you might want.

I would definitely recommend that if you can get to a venue to play table-top face to face it does help remove some of the worst excesses of geekdom on the electronic versons. I'm sure most people would be willing to let you proxy what you have already as another team or lend an Orc team on game nights.

Good luck :)

Time flies like an arrow, Fruit flies like a banana.
    Heff
    Dwarf fetishist

Post by Heff »

My Granny lived in Kettering. Last went there in 1980. It was like the Moss Eisley Cantina but without any of the charm.

Heff...Keeping the Dwarf (and lego) hate alive
    If you cannot stall out for an 8 turn drive to score with dwarves then you need to go and play canasta with your dad..if you can find him.