Use or ignore double skill for Underworld Blitzer

Want to know how to beat your opponents, then get advice, or give advice here.

Moderators: Valen, TFF Mods

Vinz D.
Veteran
Veteran

Use or ignore double skill for Underworld Blitzer

Post by Vinz D. »

As of this year, our league is doing a fixed season, with teams having pre-determined match-ups, where everyone is supposed to play one another within a certain timeframe. In my enthusiasm, I entered with Underworld (despite the team not having had the best of luck, as well as a downright appaling record...), but I'm a bit at a conundrum after my last game.

The team currently stands at:
- Troll w. Claw
- Blitzer
- Blitzer w. Claw, Mighty Blow, a yet unused double skill
- Thrower w. Block
- 7 Goblins
- Linerat
- Goblin w. Two Heads
- 3 Re-Rolls, 3 Fan Factor, Coach, Cheerleader, Apo

Having rolled a double for the Claw/Mighty Blow blitzer, I'm tempted to give him Dodge for better survivability, but my opponent pointed out that with the teams I'm yet to face (Chaos, Orcs, Orcs, Dark Elf, Ogres, Norse, High Elf, Norse and Orcs) it might be wiser to ignore the double and go for Piling On.

Any advice?

Reason: ''
"Goblin aficionado and collector of Wooden Spoons"
mawph
Super Star
Super Star

Re: Use or ignore double skill for Underworld Blitzer

Post by mawph »

Given the rest of your roster, if I were one of your opponents, if you piled on the first thing I'd do is stand on that blitzer with a handful of players. He's the scariest player in the team (for my money) and him being on the floor is a nice target.

I'd probably go dodge for that reason, or guard (although you've not a great deal of ST3 pieces to utilise guard and you're likely to be out guarded anyway, so guard is probably not the best option)

Blackshirt Hunter Extraordinaire (2004)
Fish out of water (Waterbowl 2012)
Winner Thrud 2019!
Jimmy Fantastic
Super Star
Super Star

Post by Jimmy Fantastic »

Pile Awn!!! Don't have time to delay taking it in TT leagues the way you can in MM or huge online leagues.

lunchmoney
Legend
Legend

Post by lunchmoney »

If the other teams follow typical progression, you'll proably see a lot of Guard on the other side. You can either try to keep up (which you will not be able to do) or not bother.

I agree with mawph, if I saw that Blitzer lying down I'd kick him. A lot. Unless you can protect him while he on the deck? Think long term and maybe take Jump Up, then Pile On later. A bit of fun and also gives the threat of a prone block to anyone foolish enough to stand next to your player if he falls over.

A few key players on those other teams will have Dodge - have you considered Tackle to take them down?

Hired Goon for the NAF (rep for South West England)
lunchmoneybb@gmail.com

TOs! You do not need multiple copies of rosters. It's a waste of paper.
Bribe level: good coffee.
#FlingNation find me on page 95
Loki
Legend
Legend

Post by Loki »

mawph wrote:Given the rest of your roster, if I were one of your opponents, if you piled on the first thing I'd do is stand on that blitzer with a handful of players. He's the scariest player in the team (for my money) and him being on the floor is a nice target.

I'd probably go dodge for that reason, or guard (although you've not a great deal of ST3 pieces to utilise guard and you're likely to be out guarded anyway, so guard is probably not the best option)
+1 - put him on the ground and I am going to foul him often and hard.

I would go dodge but would consider Side Step, will give the oppnant pause before he hits you 'where would a push leave him' and would combo with Frenzy if he survives to another skill.

Time flies like an arrow, Fruit flies like a banana.
Jimmy Fantastic
Super Star
Super Star

It's really really not hard to protect people on the floor - pombers live longer than non pombers in general simply because they are safe from opponent's pombers...

Loki
Legend
Legend

Post by Loki »

If they're not on the floor you don't have to spend ANY time or resource on protecting them from a foul.

Also if you're CPOMB is on the floor; my CPOMB blitzes someone else and I foul your CPOMB, two reduced armour hits in one turn not one

Jimmy Fantastic
Super Star
Super Star

Loki wrote:If they're not on the floor you don't have to spend ANY time or resource on protecting them from a foul.

Also if you're CPOMB is on the floor; my CPOMB blitzes someone else and I foul your CPOMB, two reduced armour hits in one turn not one
You need to dedicate resources to stop your cpomb getting blitzed if he isn't on the floor... it's basically a wash.
But no point trying to reason with people who have arguments like this hehe. Crack on mr pro as heck.

Chris
Legend
Legend

Post by Chris »

With dodge I subscribe to go big or go home... You already have a load of dodge, so adding it tot he blitzer either makes it harder to get him, or moves tacklers away from the goblins.

adhansa
Experienced
Experienced

Post by adhansa »

I would have considered Horns.

Loki
Legend
Legend

Post by Loki »

Jimmy Fantastic wrote:
Loki wrote:If they're not on the floor you don't have to spend ANY time or resource on protecting them from a foul.

You need to dedicate resources to stop your cpomb getting blitzed if he isn't on the floor... it's basically a wash.
But no point trying to reason with people who have arguments like this hehe. Crack on mr pro as heck.
I think the gentleman in the OP was actually looking for advice rather than bombastic showmanship, he's got the discussion in front of him so he can make up his mind which way to go.

swilhelm73
Star Player
Star Player

Post by swilhelm73 »

The most optimal choice is PO. It will dramatically increase your ability to take opponents of the pitch.

Obviously you want to consider when you use it as using it all the time will put you in a poor position sometimes, but it is an optional skill.

Setting up a good foul is generally harder then a 2D block, and will usually put your opponent in a bad position. There are times where piling on is a safer choice irrespective of the increased damage potential already discussed.

Dodge and horns are good skills for him, but PO will make this player a potential league MVP.

JaM
Legend
Legend

Post by JaM »

Piling on, and hope you can equalize the field fast enough :-)
They are after you anyway, and removing some opposition
Is the way to go I think.

Good luck!

Dr. Von Richten
Super Star
Super Star

Post by Dr. Von Richten »

Piling On, then just protect him with goblin fodder. You need to remove opposing players or you're just not gonna make it. Then again, you might not make it even if you do remove the opposition. :wink:

Digger Goreman
Legend
Legend
Location: Atlanta, GA., USA: Recruiting the Walking Dead for the Blood Bowl Zombie Nation

Post by Digger Goreman »

I'm for living longer, and cutting the odds of downing your showpiece from 1/3 to 1/6 will help!

Go for dodge :orc:

Or you could just... "fantastic"-ally fumbbl... around.... :wink:

LRB6/Icepelt Edition: Ah!, when Blood Bowl made sense....
"1 in 36, my Nuffled arse!"