help Wood Elves vs Ogres

Want to know how to beat your opponents, then get advice, or give advice here.

Moderators: Valen, TFF Mods

celticgriffon
Veteran
Veteran

help Wood Elves vs Ogres

Post by celticgriffon »

Hey everyone,

I have a match against those pesky Wood Elves tonight.

The coach of the Wood Elf team plays them very well. He stays out of tackle zones to avoid being hit (except for the single blitz)... etc, etc. He has a very good team with about 15 games of skill ups (he used the same team last year). It has 4 re-rolls, 8 FF, 2 assistant coaches and 1 cheerleader.

My Ogre team is brand new with no skill ups. I will be getting approx 700k in inducements.

What inducements would you recommend and also are there any specific tactics I should perhaps try. It is pretty much useless marking any of his players but perhaps this way of thinking is flawed.

Thanks,
Michael

Reason: ''
If you could be anyone would you be yourself? ~ yup it's mine!

Michael aka Da Big Green 'Un (commissioner Regina Flatland BB League - RFBBL)
http://www.reginaflatland.bloodbowlleague.com
lunchmoney
Legend
Legend

Re: help Wood Elves vs Ogres

Post by lunchmoney »

uuummmm, unless he rolls nothing but 1's you are going to lose. Resign yourself to this fact and enjoy the game.

Now, because you have accepted the inevitable loss, you can start to look at what you can do. And that is to mash those pesky elves into the ground and then jump on them.

Brand new Ogre team – how many Ogres and rerolls do you have? How many snotlings?

My first though was to take Nobbla, to take down those many blodgers. However you’ll only him for about 2-3 turns at best, so not really worth it.

I would certainly take 3 bribes and foul anything that falls over; even if you cant get an assist. A lone snotling only needs an 8 to crack AV.

Does your league allow the special play cards? Take some Dirty Tricks.

Consider Morg. Yes, he is 430k, but at S6 with Block he can counter their Tree (if they have one – though you should just walk away from a Tree) and should be able to mash elves.

Approx 700K? Is it maybe 730K? That’s Morg and 3 bribes :)

Just my thoughts and what I might do. But remember to enjoy the match :)

Hired Goon for the NAF (rep for South West England)
lunchmoneybb@gmail.com

TOs! You do not need multiple copies of rosters. It's a waste of paper.
Bribe level: good coffee.
#FlingNation find me on page 95
celticgriffon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by celticgriffon »

Thanks for the tips lunchmoney.

We do allow special play cards. The team difference is 710k.

I am playing Ogres this year because I wanted the challenge to play something different and fun! I did quite well with my Orc and Chaos Dwarves the past two years.

I have 5 Ogres, 7 snotlings, 1 apoth, 2 re-rolls...

I am going into this season not expecting a win at all. But I am currently 1-1-0 so I am already very happy (my win was against the league champs last year).

Cheers,
Michael

sann0638
Kommissar Enthusiasmoff

Post by sann0638 »

Morg, wizard, bribe. Kill em all.

NAF Ex-President
Founder of SAWBBL, Swindon and Wiltshire's BB League - find us on Facebook and Discord
NAF Data wrangler
Heff
Dwarf fetishist

Post by Heff »

Bertha, Brickfarth + grotty, bribe kill em all?
Would be 7 big guys and a stunty who aint a snot,

Heff...Keeping the Dwarf (and lego) hate alive
If you cannot stall out for an 8 turn drive to score with dwarves then you need to go and play canasta with your dad..if you can find him.
Jimmy Fantastic
Super Star
Super Star

Post by Jimmy Fantastic »

Concede and have a drink instead.

Glowworm

Post by Glowworm »

sann0638 wrote:Morg, wizard, bribe. Kill em all.
+1

Darkson
Da Spammer

Post by Darkson »

Let him score every two turns, and use the KO to mash 3 elfs with the ogres for SPP, and foul those you don't kill. Don't be afraid to take the both down if either player has Block. Take Bribes for the fouls. Take a Wiz and fireball a Wardancer, then foul it to death.

Won't help you win the game, but will make you popular with the rest of the league. ;)

Currently an ex-Blood Bowl coach, most likely to be found dying to Armoured Skeletons in the frozen ruins of Felstad, or bleeding into the arena sands of Rome or burning rubber for Mars' entertainment.
celticgriffon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by celticgriffon »

My head coach - Berta - just posted this to the league bulletin.

Hey teams... have some extra change in that monster treasury and you are not exactly sure how to bleed it from your team?

Why not put a few bounties on the Dodgers? It is fun. It is exciting. It will make you feel special. Just like a good hooker.

The Ballet Beyb'z and I will do my damn best to rid this league of skilled up Wood Elves.

Face it. This is your chance. The sooner we are rid of them the happier we ALL will be.

Love you all,
Berta!

Thanks for all the tips everyone. Hopefully the bloodshed isn't all snotlings.

Michael

Digger Goreman
Legend
Legend
Location: Atlanta, GA., USA: Recruiting the Walking Dead for the Blood Bowl Zombie Nation

Post by Digger Goreman »

If it is not too late, take the halfling hotpot and watch that Timmy cheeser actually have to think a little....

LRB6/Icepelt Edition: Ah!, when Blood Bowl made sense....
"1 in 36, my Nuffled arse!"
celticgriffon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by celticgriffon »

Too late Digger.. but here is the scoop.

The inducements were only 680k. I took Brick Farth and Grotty, 2 bribes, and a wizard.

Wood Elves won the coin toss. They rolled a blitz result. Immediately they snatched the ball and started running it down the wide zone. I held them back for a turn and then used my wizard. The winds of magic were in my favour and I took down four elves (out of five) with a fireball.

I managed to recover the ball and worked my way down the field. I could get a touchdown with two gfi's... That would have to wait. I had a blodger wardancer to smash first. His Wardancer has a 90k bounty. I double skulled with no re-rolls.

His Wardancer then jumped in, smashed me up, and they were up 1 - 0 after the first half.

Second half he had five players to field. His tree smashed a snotling and rolled three push backs. He re-rolled and rolled 2 skulls and a knocked down unless block skill result. We both fell. He wiffed his armour roll and I rolled 11. Ung Lyk 'n'l'e funt fell a tree. The team rejoiced.

I scooped the ball and ran it in with a snotling named Gitchee Gitchee Gitch.

He recovered two KO's and was back up to seven players. He made a quick drive which I couldn't stop.

I lost 2-1. Casualty count was 3 - 6 in my favour. It was a damn good match. First time Webby Leafblower had to think about a game in a while. I tried damn hard to clear the pitch but I fell a bit short. To be fair, he rolled something awful most of the match.

Cheers for all your help everyone. It was fun and really that is what matters most.

Michael

lunchmoney
Legend
Legend

Post by lunchmoney »

Not a bad result then :)

Hired Goon for the NAF (rep for South West England)
lunchmoneybb@gmail.com

TOs! You do not need multiple copies of rosters. It's a waste of paper.
Bribe level: good coffee.
#FlingNation find me on page 95
odinsgrandson
Veteran
Veteran

Post by odinsgrandson »

Edit- so, obviously I should read the whole thread before posting, but here's the advice I would have given you, if you hadn't already played the match. It sounds like you did rather well.

I'd grab Morg, because he's fantastic, and pick up a Halfling Chef. The rerolls aren't doing you too much good, but getting them away from your opponent will be worth it.

When you're receiving, surround the ball with a box before picking it up, and only move an ogre in to pick it up if you still have a re-roll this turn. Move slowly up the field with your super box, and put your snotlings in the way.

When you're defending, just hit his guys as often as you can, and get in his way. Honestly, there's nothing you can do to keep that strong a Wood Elf team from scoring, so just go for the pain, and hopefully, you'll have enough time to score afterward.

Now, here's a thing- MARK HIS PLAYERS. I know he'll just get away most of the time, but make him make those rolls. Mark them with snotlings, even (you didn't want them to survive long, did you?) and pretty soon he'll have to make so many dodges that he'll fail at least one or two of them.

If he has a box, you put your snotlings inside his box. You don't have to hit him to be in his way. And sometime or other, he'll roll that '1' and you'll get to turn the tables.

Of course, the odds are still astronomically against you, but that's what you get when you're playing the worst team in the game, right?