Skinks leveling with doubles and a 10

Want to know how to beat your opponents, then get advice, or give advice here.

Moderators: Valen, TFF Mods

odinsgrandson
Veteran
Veteran

Skinks leveling with doubles and a 10

Post by odinsgrandson »

After my second game with my new Lizardmen, I have three skinks leveling up- and two of them rolled double 5s.

Looking at my options, they all look super good. Added armor would be nice for the squishy skinks, while extra movement would make them into gutter runner levels of awesome.

Or, I could go for something with the doubles skill roll. Blodging is always nice, and I imagine a Dauntless skink would be stupid good at breaking boxes.

So that you know the team composition I'm going with- I have a Kroxigor, three Sauruses (the forth one died) and a bunch of Skinks and a decent number of re-rolls (either three or four).

What do you all think?

Reason: ''
swilhelm73
Star Player
Star Player

Re: Skinks leveling with doubles and a 10

Post by swilhelm73 »

I'd go +MA on one to build a one turner (SS next) and block or wrestle on another to be a safety.

Smeborg
Legend
Legend

Post by Smeborg »

I normally take the double option on a 5,5 especially if (as in this case) the players only have access to 1 skill type.

Smeborg the Fleshless
Jimmy Fantastic
Super Star
Super Star

Post by Jimmy Fantastic »

One of the best coaches on fumbbl takes +AV on his Skinks over MA...
Having said that I would skip either here and take Surehands on one and Block on the other.

El_Jairo
Veteran
Veteran

Post by El_Jairo »

I do see why AV is more important than MA on stunty players with AG 4. Even if he isn't smacked to the ground he will have his own way of achieving it.

And I agree with Jimmy that you all the regular skills you can get. This is why skinks don't rock like GR's.
I would go sure hands and wrestle because you need a safety with so few Sauri.
Only 3? I might consider dropping TV by cutting that 4th TRR. Just to avoid matching up vs a team with tackle blitzers. Because then your skinks will get hurt.

You need the saurus screen!

Loki
Legend
Legend

Post by Loki »

Although you are slightly more likely to get a double rather than a '10' I would still take the Double 5's on the Skinks this early in the team development. Sure Hands to counter leaping strip ballers (and just save rr's) and then Block/Wrestle on the other.

Time flies like an arrow, Fruit flies like a banana.
lunchmoney
Legend
Legend

Post by lunchmoney »

El_Jairo wrote:Only 3[saurus]? I might consider dropping TV by cutting that 4th TRR. Just to avoid matching up vs a team with tackle blitzers. Because then your skinks will get hurt.
Of course, if he isnt playing in a TV matching enviroment, that is not an issue.
El_Jairo wrote:You need the saurus screen!
Agree with this, though. Get more Saurus asap.

Hired Goon for the NAF (rep for South West England)
lunchmoneybb@gmail.com

TOs! You do not need multiple copies of rosters. It's a waste of paper.
Bribe level: good coffee.
#FlingNation find me on page 95
MKL
Emerging Star
Emerging Star

Post by MKL »

For me, Sure Hands (sooner or later you are bound to meet a leaping strip-baller), and Block on the other, with the ideal aim of getting one blodge-sure handed skink in the future.
If you are aiming for a shorter goal, Wrestle in lieu of Block for defensive purpose.
By the way, playing with 3 sauri is... Well, let say "unorthodox" :p

odinsgrandson
Veteran
Veteran

Post by odinsgrandson »

Does a skink really have a chance against a leaping strip-baller? I mean, I'd kind of expect the skink to get knocked over anytime someone throws a block against him, so I feel like that would give me less mileage than a lot of other options he's got.

Four Sauri and a Krox worked just fine (2 games played, 1 win and 1 loss, both against mid-experienced teams). Clearly less meaty strength than a team with six, but the opposition can't get all of the skinks off the pitch as easily.

Of course, deaths can really screw up your team composition. I'll be purchasing more Sauri in the very near future (as soon as I can get them).

I'm really feeling how long it has been since I last started up a Lizardman team. Last one I ran was back when the Skinks could all take General skills- and man, they were awesome.

MKL
Emerging Star
Emerging Star

Post by MKL »

odinsgrandson wrote:Does a skink really have a chance against a leaping strip-baller? I mean, I'd kind of expect the skink to get knocked over anytime someone throws a block against him, so I feel like that would give me less mileage than a lot of other options he's got.
(...)
Maybe you can see it this way: if you plan on getting your carrier knocked down often, you are also planning A LOT of pick up rolls. One more reason to have Sure Hands ;)

Smeborg
Legend
Legend

Post by Smeborg »

The point of Sure Hands is that it allows a re-rolled pick-up after the Team Re-roll has been used. Not uncommon, it allows you to take your actions in a more aggressive order (as well as being safer).

Hope that helps.

Smeborg the Fleshless
odinsgrandson
Veteran
Veteran

Post by odinsgrandson »

Good points.

Gimli
Experienced
Experienced

Post by Gimli »

Double 5s on skinks - Nice! Never had that "problem". The only way to create a 1TTD'er, though, is to get the skink to MA10. As much as block or SH would be useful, I'd take +MA on both of them.

Aliboon
Super Star
Super Star

Post by Aliboon »

I generally prefer MA over AV especially on quick players, although I can see why you'd go AV on skinks given you need them for lizzies to play effectively and they are so squishy.

Sure hands and +MA for me, but block would be good too (especially as I doubt you have a BT saurus as yet).

Sure hands for the reasons as others have said and at some stage you will get guard to make the leaping stripballer only have a 1d, or even 2d against. Without sure hands on a 1d he's still popping the ball loose 5/6 times, with sure hands he needs a knockdown, probably a 1/3

Dr. Von Richten
Super Star
Super Star

Post by Dr. Von Richten »

+ Ma on both. Speed is awesome, and the only Skink that's really usefull is a 1TT Skink, and MA 9 makes that a lot easier. Also, doubles are 1 in 6 chance, '10'is 1 in 12.

If you prefer the doubles anyway, take Sure Hands on one and Block on the other.