Lizardmen Skillups

Want to know how to beat your opponents, then get advice, or give advice here.

Moderators: Valen, TFF Mods

Dr. Von Richten
Super Star
Super Star

Lizardmen Skillups

Post by Dr. Von Richten »

So, I played a match against the Skaven team of a friend of mine, and while it didn't look like it when I was 0-2 down early in the 2nd half, I did manage to finish the game with a 2-2 draw, thanks to the Rats breaking down (litterally) and a Blitz into the cage (Break Tackle FTW!) Anyway, I also had some really nice skillup rolls and am now wondering how best to use them.

The team:

1: Kroxigor: 2 SPP
2: Saurus: 21 SPP, Block, Break Tackle
3: Saurus: 7 SPP [Skill Pending, rolled 6+5]
4: Saurus: 6 SPP [Skill Pending, rolled 4+5]
5: Saurus: 7 SPP, Block
6: Saurus: 5 SPP
7: Saurus: 7 SPP [Skill Pending, rolled 3+4]
8: Skink: 11 SPP, Side Step
9: Skink: 8 SPP, [Skill Pending, rolled 4+4]
[10: rookie Skink to be bought]
11 Skink: 8 SPP [ Skill Pending, rolled 6+6]
[12: rookie Skink to be bought]

3 Rerolls, Apothecary, 5 Fan Factor, 140k Cash

Sauri nrs. 4 and 7 will get Block (unless someone has a brilliant argument why they shouldn't) but should Saurus nr. 3 also get Block, or should I take the +AG? I think it isn't worth it, but maybe I'm wrong. Skink nr. 11 will get + Str, of course, but I'm unsure about Skink nr. 9: Block, Sure Hands, Wrestle, or even something else entirely? Also, what is the ideal nr. of players for a Lizardman Team?

For context, this is a team in an open, not all that competitive, league where everyone has multiple teams and plays either 'friendly' matches which are TVMM based or takes part in 'cups' in which the matches are based on a group and/or knockout system, like in the Football Champions League or UEFA Cup.

Thanks already! :D

Reason: ''
MKL
Emerging Star
Emerging Star

Re: Lizardmen Skillups

Post by MKL »

Hi Doc!

Congratulations for your great 2-2 and for your impressive skill rolls :D

Here are my 2c:

@Sauri: +ag isn't worth it. Boring Block would be my choice. M-Blow if you feel like skilling them up faster, but I live for risk management.

@Skink 4+4: my first choice would be Sure Hands. Otherwise, Block (or Wrestle). Again, risk management is my line of thought.

@Skink 6+6: Nuffle would take offense if you skip +St. After that, you should pray for a double to get something really useful for a 8337 stunty.

@Ideal number of players... well, I would go for 14, but league milieu is decisive in this choice. Skinks are vulnerable, but only one is needed to win. Conversely, if Sauri fail it's a steep game.

Dr. Von Richten
Super Star
Super Star

Thanks! :)

I mostly agree with your way of thinking, though I would like to see some other opinions too. :wink:

Fassbinder75
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Fassbinder75 »

I agree with MKL. I'd probably take the AG on the Saurus, with Break Tackle he'd be a pain in the ass. You can't pass up the opportunity for a ST3 stunty sacker, they're gold. Block or SH on the 5+5. Nice rolling!

minimakeovers.wordpress.com
Saebelsultan
Super Star
Super Star

Post by Saebelsultan »

Hey,
read Garions Guide to Lizardmen (http://www.plasmoids.dk/bbowl/playbooks/Lizardmen.pdf) if you haven't. He does make a case for AG+ Saurii as ball handlers in certain situations. Maybe there is your different opinion.
Also, you will probably not find a differnent opinion than ST+ for a Skink.

"This game is too good not to be played!" - Coach Pauli
Blood Bowl Beginner Kit
Saebelsultan's BB Dugouts
Dr. Von Richten
Super Star
Super Star

I've read Garions (generally very good) guide already, and while he does make the point that Skinks aren't the most amazing ballhandlers either, I do think that you need all Sauri available to block and Block the opposition. I do try to score with Sauri, but unless the opponent is substantially weaker, I carry with Skinks, and hand off to a Saurus only near the opponents endzone.

There's also the fact that if one Saurus has AG+, I will score mostly with that Saurus, leaving the rest behind in SPP's. Finally, what seals the deal is that this is a league where we have one leaguenight a month and on avarage I play one game/month outside the leaguenights, and I have 6 Teams in the league, at least 4 of which I want to play on a regular basis. So I won't count on more than 6 games a year with this team, and in that timeframe, a Saurus ballhandler isn't worth it.

For the Skinks; I will go for Block, as there is little Strip Ball and/or Leap in the League and, block is more useful when the opponent has the ball. This will be a nice ballcarrier. And the + Str was never in doubt; I wouldn't offend Nuffle by denying His gifts! :wink:

Jimmy Fantastic
Super Star
Super Star

Post by Jimmy Fantastic »

I always go SH on the first Skink to double because at low TV the only way to lose with Lizards is to fail pickups multiple times.

MKL
Emerging Star
Emerging Star

Post by MKL »

Jimmy Fantastic wrote:I always go SH on the first Skink to double because at low TV the only way to lose with Lizards is to fail pickups multiple times.
Amen
(My personal record is 10 pick up rolls failed in a row...)

Chris
Legend
Legend

Post by Chris »

3: Saurus: 7 SPP [Skill Pending, rolled 6+5]
Block
4: Saurus: 6 SPP [Skill Pending, rolled 4+5]
Block
7: Saurus: 7 SPP [Skill Pending, rolled 3+4]
Block
9: Skink: 8 SPP, [Skill Pending, rolled 4+4]
Sure Hands
11 Skink: 8 SPP [ Skill Pending, rolled 6+6]
Str

Boring huh? :)
Dr. Von Richten wrote:Also, what is the ideal nr. of players for a Lizardman Team?
Depends on league? Are teams verging towards higher TVs? Are there a load of tacklers? Do you want a wizard most matches? 6 big lizards, 1 biggest lizards, then 5-7 little lizards depending on what sort of teams you are playing. Fewer players and they skill faster but you are more brittle against tackle teams that can get the skinks or claw teams that carve through the big lizards.