Ogres skill/team progression

Want to know how to beat your opponents, then get advice, or give advice here.

Moderators: Valen, TFF Mods

ClintonG
Rookie
Rookie

Ogres skill/team progression

Post by ClintonG »

Hello, I am the commissioner of our newly formed league and decided to torture myself with a stunty team, also this is my first time playing in a league.

Now that you know a little history about us, My question. My starting roster is

5x Ogres
7x snotlings
2x Rerolls
2x FF

In my first week I got smoked by amazons, I literally could not knock them down without going down myself. (Damn Dodge!)

Fortunately, I did some damage, injuring one line girl, killing a blitzer, and KOing a number more, and did not lose a single player for longer than the next game (one snot got beat up)

I did generate enough SPP to level an ogre and there is my quandary, I rolled normal so Guard? Or break tackle? Next week is dwarves who have yet to submit their roster card so I'm unsure what Ill be seeing.

Thanks for your time!
Clinton

Reason: ''
Dr. Von Richten
Super Star
Super Star

Re: Ogres skill/team progression

Post by Dr. Von Richten »

Piling On! You need to cause damage; it's the only thing you can do well (more or less). If you don't want Piiling on; Break Tackle before Guard or whatever.

Also, should any of your Snotlings ever level up and roll a double, get Dirty Player. Again, you need to cause damage if you want to stand a chance. On normals, Diving Tackle, Sure Feet or retire them.

ClintonG
Rookie
Rookie

Post by ClintonG »

I thought of piling on, but I desperately fear getting fouled! This league is really smash-mouth.

As for the snotlings, their only job for me is fouling and flying so dirty player would be perfect!

Thanks for the insight, piling on will certainly help against the dwarves too. Now I really have to think even harder on this!

Sorry for pming you the response too! Mobile format forums mess me up from time to time!

Jimmy Fantastic
Super Star
Super Star

Post by Jimmy Fantastic »

I've played a bit on fumbbl and I would say if u wanna do as well as you can go BT on the first two then after that go SF first skill.
PO on everyone if you want to skill them up asap and have max fun.

Smeborg
Legend
Legend

Post by Smeborg »

I take Break Tackle as first normal skill on every Ogre. It gives you mobility, they can run the ball without getting stuck, blitzing is a breeze and in extremis you can dodge an Ogre in order to throw a Snot. Cage-breaking becomes relatively easy.

It also makes life difficult for the opponent, he does not know which Ogre is going to take the blitz, it is more difficult for him to keep the ball safe.

Hope that helps.

Smeborg the Fleshless
SunDevil
Goblin Fancier

Post by SunDevil »

Agree with all those who have said Break Tackle. I used to think a lot of Guard would make a mass of Ogres tough to deal with it but it never played well for me. As a later skill, sure, but that first (non-double/stat) skill should be Break Tackle.

As for Snots, Diving Tackle or cut. Dirty Player on doubles, nothing else is worth taking except +AG of course. I wouldn't even take +MA unless that snot already had +AG. Snots with Diving Tackle do not live to see a second skill.

Fun team choice - good luck and have fun!

This is Chance from THREE DIE BLOCK - Your Blood Bowl Podcast! Stay off the sidelines!
THANK YOU TO EVERYONE WHO HELPED MAKE THE SIMYIN A REALITY!!!
ClintonG
Rookie
Rookie

Post by ClintonG »

So 3 weeks in and Im 1/2.

I beat a dwarf team and leveled another ogre. When I skilled him up I rolled double sixes. I had to take the strength if for no other reason than it sent shockwaves through the league. (We are all new, and the league is already intimidated by the ogres)

I know sure hands or block would have been a better choice but I couldn't resist.

Next week is orcs, they like to play a passing game (its weird) so hopefully I can win two in a row.

Thanks
Clinton

odinsgrandson
Veteran
Veteran

Post by odinsgrandson »

I don't know that anyone would think less of you for taking that strength 6.

Gaixo
Ex-Mega Star, now just a Super Star
Ex-Mega Star, now just a Super Star

Post by Gaixo »

I have a ST6 ogre on my team and he's very important to it. You'll want Break Tackle for him next. Even if you never use it (I seldom do), the cagebreaking threat will change your opponents' plans.

I messed around with various skills, but I wish I'd just gotten Guard on everyone. It's a pretty big deal to consistently get 3d blocks without relying on snotlings for assists.

Smeborg
Legend
Legend

Post by Smeborg »

I first encountered Break Tackle on Ogres when playing against an Ogre team in a tourney (5 Ogres, all with Break Tackle). My Nurgle team was soundly beaten by them. After that I tried the same on a league Ogre team, it worked very well. A main point is that if every Ogre has Break Tackle, it makes life hard for the opponent. He has to deal with every threat.

Smeborg the Fleshless
ClintonG
Rookie
Rookie

Post by ClintonG »

So two weeks later in the league and the ogres lost to an ork team by 1 and tied a wood elf team. I managed to level 3 ogres bringing my total to one ogre with st6 and break tackle (he KILLED 2 wood elves) an ogre with guard and break tackle an ogre with guard and an ogre with piling on. Too bad I only have one more game vs undead.

Season 2 here I come.

Thanks
Clinton

MKL
Emerging Star
Emerging Star

Post by MKL »

ClintonG wrote:... one ogre with st6 and break tackle (he KILLED 2 wood elves) ...
Amen, brother

Digger Goreman
Legend
Legend
Location: Atlanta, GA., USA: Recruiting the Walking Dead for the Blood Bowl Zombie Nation

Post by Digger Goreman »

MKL wrote:
ClintonG wrote:... one ogre with st6 and break tackle (he KILLED 2 wood elves) ...
Amen, brother
CAN I GET A WITNESS!!!

LRB6/Icepelt Edition: Ah!, when Blood Bowl made sense....
"1 in 36, my Nuffled arse!"
ClintonG
Rookie
Rookie

Post by ClintonG »

I almost felt guilty. Almost.