Witch Elf 5-5 first skill up

Want to know how to beat your opponents, then get advice, or give advice here.

Moderators: Valen, TFF Mods

mzukerman
Emerging Star
Emerging Star

Witch Elf 5-5 first skill up

Post by mzukerman »

I am so tempted to take armor, but I think that isn't such a wise idea. The league is very bash heavy right now, although there are signs that may be changing. This is a long-haul team - I'll play it for at least two seasons of 10 games each. Right now, it's in scrimmages, readying itself for it's first full season.

Roster:
Runner +Block
Witch Elf +pending 5-5
Blitzer +Dodge
Blitzer +Guard (yay!)
2x Blitzer naked
Lineman -MA
4x Lineman naked

The way I see it, I can 1) ignore it and take Block, Wrestle or Side Step, 2) get the MA, 3) Mighty Blow? 4) throw caution to the wind and up the AV

Thoughts?

Reason: ''
"I reserve the right to change my predictions when they are no longer true. I am The Media." ~ Snob Costas
libloodbowl on Twitter
Long Island Blood Bowl League
Empire Cup
MattDakka
Super Star
Super Star

Re: Witch Elf 5-5 first skill up

Post by MattDakka »

I'd pick either Block or Wrestle if you need an anti-blodger;
+MA is nice but the Witch has to be block-reliable first (due to Frenzy) and she's not your ball carrier of choice;
Mighty Blow is nice too but you are not going to use it safely on a player with Frenzy and no Block, I generally avoid to pick MB on Blockless players, only if your Witch already had Block then I would pick Mighty Blow;
+AV is worse than +MA, especially on a MA 7 player so don't take it.

Smeborg
Legend
Legend

Post by Smeborg »

I don't think I've ever had a doubles on a Witch Elf. However, if I did, I might take Juggernaut.

I am a fan of Wrestle on WEs, I think Jugs might combine very well with it. For me, WEs are busy blitzers, and they take 2 kinds of blitz: the first is to bring down the ball carrier, the second is to surf a player. Jugs helps mainly with the second, but also somewhat with the first (because it removes the "no-result" block).

If you are a coach who takes Block on WEs, then you should probably consider Mighty Blow.

+MA is very handy on the MA7 players on the DE team, but with a (5,5) I am inclined to take a doubles unless circumstances are quite special.

Hope that helps.

Smeborg the Fleshless
Jimmy Fantastic
Super Star
Super Star

Post by Jimmy Fantastic »

MA or MB depending on personal pref.

Shteve0
Legend
Legend

Post by Shteve0 »

I had one of these in the local league, and took MB. Paid off in retrospect (block and po next two skill) but in hindsight I reckon juggs would have been champ (juggs/ss/wrestle)

League and tournament hosting, blogging and individual forums - all totally free. For the most immersive tabletop sports community experience around, check out theendzone.co
mzukerman
Emerging Star
Emerging Star

Post by mzukerman »

If I take Juggernaut, then I'd really want to take side step as my next skill so she becomes the surfer extraordinare. The issue is Jugg only helps on blitzes. She'd get targeted and just drop on defense.

Great suggestions everyone! Thanks! I've got some more thinking to do.

"I reserve the right to change my predictions when they are no longer true. I am The Media." ~ Snob Costas
libloodbowl on Twitter
Empire Cup
Darkson
Da Spammer

Post by Darkson »

Mighty Blow if you want to hurt, Juggs if you're more into surfing.

Currently an ex-Blood Bowl coach, most likely to be found dying to Armoured Skeletons in the frozen ruins of Felstad, or bleeding into the arena sands of Rome or burning rubber for Mars' entertainment.
MattDakka
Super Star
Super Star

Post by MattDakka »

mzukerman wrote:If I take Juggernaut, then I'd really want to take side step as my next skill so she becomes the surfer extraordinare. The issue is Jugg only helps on blitzes. She'd get targeted and just drop on defense.
If you really want to use the double choose Mighty Blow, way more useful than the situational Juggernaut.

spubbbba
Legend
Legend

Post by spubbbba »

Elves are pretty easy to skill up so I think you can pass up block as first skill. You can always use her as a catcher until she gets to 16 if you are wary of the frenzy and no block combo.

+MA is nice on any of the MA7 positionals, but I think MB would be great as it will add some hitting power to your team. With frenzy she gets extra shots to take down the opposing player and dodge can get you away to safety afterwards.

I see Juggernaut as more of a high TV skill to counter other skilled players, both MB and PO are better doubles choices.

My past and current modelling projects showcased on Facebook, Instagram and Twitter.
SunDevil
Goblin Fancier

Post by SunDevil »

If her goal is to eventually take Leap and be a cage breaker, Juggs is the way to go. Turn those blocks into pushes and just surgically remove the ballcarrier from his nest. :)

The timing is tough though. Ideally, you'd want Wrestle and Leap, then Juggs. But Elves skill up to two or three skills relatively quickly, so Wrestle should not be tough to get to.

The one TT League DE team I've coached so far, the Argon Paranoids, was led by Quorra, a 5AG, Leap, Juggernaut monster that no cage was safe from! She earned Block before the AG and before I knew how good Wrestle is on a WE, but other than that she was perfect! They won the championship going away.

Juggs for the long term if she is to be a cagebreaker. And every DE squad should have at least one...

This is Chance from THREE DIE BLOCK - Your Blood Bowl Podcast! Stay off the sidelines!
THANK YOU TO EVERYONE WHO HELPED MAKE THE SIMYIN A REALITY!!!
MattDakka
Super Star
Super Star

Post by MattDakka »

SunDevil wrote:The one TT League DE team I've coached so far, the Argon Paranoids, was led by Quorra, a 5AG, Leap, Juggernaut monster that no cage was safe from!
Nobody used 2 Guards on the diagonally opposite corners of the cage in your league? :-?

DixonCider
Super Star
Super Star

Post by DixonCider »

Think I would run with MB, but I play DE's very bashy

voyagers_uk
Da Cynic
Location: Nice Red Uniforms and Fanatical devotion to the Pope!

Post by voyagers_uk »

I had this choice after my last game, I went with Block (ignoring the double) as I needed more block on the team

Ikterus wrote: But for the record, play Voyagers_UK if you have the chance. He's cursed! :P
mzukerman
Emerging Star
Emerging Star

Post by mzukerman »

Thanks everyone, great advice. Part of the challenge is I don't know what the makeup of the league is going to be next season when I am playing these guys. We have a rule where you can play up to 3 scrimmages before the team enters the league. They can pick up some good skills to start and possibly challenge the more experienced 2nd and 3rd season teams. Right now the league is very heavy on the bash which is why I'm thinking that wrestle is a good choice (given that she already has jump up). But do I waste the doubles or MA. It seems that most people think AV isn't the right call. I'm willing to agree with that. So if I'm going to wrestle her (wow, sounds interesting), what is the best call with the doubles? Mighty blow? I'm not winning with this team on bash against chaos dwarves and orcs. I think that the movement may be the best call. I play a very aggressive defense. Having the ability to cover more ground into their defensive backfield before they get a chance to develop a solid cage would be great.

Thanks everyone!

libloodbowl on Twitter
Empire Cup
crimsonsun
Experienced
Experienced

Post by crimsonsun »

I find it surprising that the people suggesting Juggernaut say with Wrestle but Juggernaut should be combined with Block because that way the player fills to roles with the skill instead of one: Surfing/space making & Wrestle hunting. Personally I'd take Juggernaut then Block & Sidestep, though I'd be sorely tempted by Mighty Blow also which is not a bad choice at all, it really depends on how you want to utilise her. The one thing I would not be worried about either way is getting the SPP for the next level, as Elves can get spp so easily and Witch Elves are fast and Agile enough to get enough spp for there first 3 levels easily within 6 games if you actively aim to.