Double on Ghoul's first skill

Want to know how to beat your opponents, then get advice, or give advice here.

Moderators: Valen, TFF Mods

WhyNotPurple
Rookie
Rookie

Double on Ghoul's first skill

Post by WhyNotPurple »

I had such great and quick responds last time that I'm now handing you my next skill choice conundrum as well.

The 4th Ghoul in my Undead team rolled a double 1 for his first level. With a normal skill roll I would've probably gone for Block, but with a double there are a couple more options available. I already have a Ghoul with Guard but find its usability lacking because he is always the first one targeted and doesn't get any SPPs by standing around next to the guys holding the ball or doing the blocking. Although this could be less of an issue when two Ghouls having Guard...

My complete team with their levels:
Mummy - Block, Guard
Mummy - Guard
Wight - Guard
Wight - +1 AG, Tackle, Dodge
Ghoul - Block, Sure Hands
Ghoul - Wrestle
Ghoul - Guard
Ghoul - (double)
Zombie - Block
Zombie
Zombie
Zombie
Zombie
Zombie

The rest of the teams in the league are: Lizardman, Elf, Wood Elf, Dwarf, Norse, Goblin, Orc

I would love to hear your suggestions :)

Reason: ''
besters
Ex-Mega Star, now just a Super Star
Ex-Mega Star, now just a Super Star

Re: Double on Ghoul's first skill

Post by besters »

I'd still go block. Boring I know!

spubbbba
Legend
Legend

Post by spubbbba »

I always hate rolling doubles 1st skill for ghouls as it is such a tough choice. They really need block asap to keep them alive.

I see you've already got a ghoul with doubles, with block and SS he'd be pretty sweet but keeping him alive to get there is tough. Another choice is MB allowing hit and runs and hopefully getting him up to 16 so he can get block.

One final option is leader, saves you 40tv on a re-roll.

My past and current modelling projects showcased on Facebook, Instagram and Twitter.
MattDakka
Super Star
Super Star

Post by MattDakka »

Either Block, Guard, or Leader.
I'm not a fan of Mighty Blow on Ghouls because they have AV 7 and lack the agility to dodge away reliably if they get stuck with a Both Down, moreover a Wight is a better killer because he can access to MB and PO with regular rolls.
On Ghouls I like to have Blodge asap and I'd skip Block as first skill only in case a +1 MA or +1 AG is rolled.
By the way your team has no killer players, you need a Wight with Mighty Blow, Piling On and Tackle.
AG 4 is fancy, but on a MA 6 Wight is a bit of a waste, your Wights should be hurting opponent players or supporting yours with Guard.

Jimmy Fantastic
Super Star
Super Star

Post by Jimmy Fantastic »

Guard.

crimsonsun
Experienced
Experienced

Post by crimsonsun »

Jimmy Fantastic wrote:Guard.
+100, I'm not even sure if this is a legitimate question without some other statistic increases involved to muddy the waters.

Digger Goreman
Legend
Legend
Location: Atlanta, GA., USA: Recruiting the Walking Dead for the Blood Bowl Zombie Nation

Post by Digger Goreman »

With the plus Ag Wight, either catch (ditching the doubles) or pass (using the wight as a receiver) may be viable if not optimal....

LRB6/Icepelt Edition: Ah!, when Blood Bowl made sense....
"1 in 36, my Nuffled arse!"
Shteve0
Legend
Legend

Post by Shteve0 »

Yeah, guard all the way.

League and tournament hosting, blogging and individual forums - all totally free. For the most immersive tabletop sports community experience around, check out theendzone.co
darkrock76
Rookie
Rookie

Post by darkrock76 »

I'd go leader if you are low on RR's otherwise block.

WhyNotPurple
Rookie
Rookie

Post by WhyNotPurple »

Well I think you have convinced me to build another Ghoul with Guard. This will be the third Ghoul with Guard in this team, all three of them having rolled Double 1 on their improvement rolls. I already had one die on me though, so that's why I was hesitant.

I have enough RR's so I don't really consider Leader a great addition.

@MattDakka: As for the sacker Wights, I would love a Wights with all those skills, but they have to be gained and when you start off with the first level in your team being +1 AG I just go with it. The Wight has made 6 casualties since, 3 of them in last game, so he's doing pretty good (even though he's not actively hunting).

Thanks everybody for all your suggestions, I'm off to play Norse and to see how the Guard-Ghoul does :)