New Rookie Season starting - team decision help needed

Want to know how to beat your opponents, then get advice, or give advice here.

Moderators: Valen, TFF Mods

Hegel
Experienced
Experienced

New Rookie Season starting - team decision help needed

Post by Hegel »

In summer we´ll start a new rookie season, meaning we´ll all start with new teams (in parallel to another season of veteran teams). I´ve not been doing well in the two seasons I had so far, where I played orcs and chaos dwarves, and someone mentioned that maybe I´m too nice to play a bash team. So, now I´m tempted to play a finesse team. I haven´t got a clue which teams I´ll face, but at the moment I´m considering wood and pro elves. I don´t have the models for a high elf team and there are too many dark elves around already. Now, which of these two would be the better choice ? Which one will possibly survive longer ? The season will be something like 12 matches plus play offs, and I´m a little bit scared of all AV7 and no skills in the beginning (apart from wardancer/blitzer and catcher). Wood elves - tree or not ? Or should I accept that I´m crap at playing and take ogres or goblins and just wreak havoc ?

Reason: ''
Digger Goreman
Legend
Legend
Location: Atlanta, GA., USA: Recruiting the Walking Dead for the Blood Bowl Zombie Nation

Re: New Rookie Season starting - team decision help needed

Post by Digger Goreman »

Necros, hybrid team without degrading yourself by playing fairies.... Maybe you need to play "out of the box" ... their unconventionality has certainly worked for me since the team's inception....

LRB6/Icepelt Edition: Ah!, when Blood Bowl made sense....
"1 in 36, my Nuffled arse!"
mzukerman
Emerging Star
Emerging Star

Post by mzukerman »

Wood elves are all about the offense. Pro elves have a little more survivability.

Personally, I'd choose wood elves. The season is long enough where you should be able to add the defensive skills as the games roll in. Getting some dodge and wrestle out there is vital to their survival and defensive capabilities. For offense, they really only need 3 or 4 on the pitch to score.

"I reserve the right to change my predictions when they are no longer true. I am The Media." ~ Snob Costas
libloodbowl on Twitter
Long Island Blood Bowl League
Empire Cup
Smeborg
Legend
Legend

Post by Smeborg »

I suggest Pro-Elves are simpler to play than Wood Elves. You can start with 3 Re-rolls and early Leader. Their offense if strong, thanks to Catch + Nerves of Steel. All players are Strength 3. The Catchers should be developed as ball-hunting Blitzers (Dodge, Wrestle, Tackle etc.).

Pro-Elves have the advantage that their Linos are relatively cheap (60,000), and their most expensive players (the Blitzers) are well protected (AV8, Block, Sidestep, to be followed by Dodge and later Fend). This means that they are not so easily crushed at the start and left with not enough money to replace lost players. Apoth should be the first purchase.

Development (SPPs) is a bit better spread than with Wood Elves (who are overly reliant on their Wardancers).

Pro-Elves are to be played aggressively - score fast on offense, attack the ball hard on defense, win the game decisively before the opponent can win on numbers.

Hope that helps.

Smeborg the Fleshless
dode74
Ex-Cyanide/Focus toadie

Post by dode74 »

Pro elves have a little more survivability.
Not from what I've seen. Woodies start with more survival skills (dodge and blodge) as well as a tree, which might explain it.

feeder
Experienced
Experienced
Location: Hatching a dastardly plan, like a bird with a dastardly egg.

Post by feeder »

Try Skaven. Fast and cheap, and the Gutters are basically Elves with rollerskates on.

Hegel
Experienced
Experienced

Post by Hegel »

Thanks a lot so far...

So it is 2:1 for Pro Elves considering survivability while both seem to be a good choice.

@dode74 - would you really start with a tree ? I tried Woodies once on FUMBBL and never ever got near a treeman, I was way too busy saving money to replace dead/niggled/crippled linemen while the wardancers hogged all the SPP and got the apo on standby...

@feeder - another good option I guess. Whenever I tried skaven I always struggled with the lack of strength because I never bought the rat ogre due to its unreliability...

@Digger - I got a Necro team but it took ages to develop - more matches than our rookie seasons provide. I love my nekros in their current state but was disappointed with their performance in the first couple of matches.

Aino
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Aino »

feeder wrote:Try Skaven. Fast and cheap, and the Gutters are basically Elves with rollerskates on.
add the possibility of mutations and you're close to a winner if you ask me.

I do like Dark elves too if the league is not too long. AG 4 all over, decent speed, armour that should hold most of the time. Starting roster is up for debate but my preference woul be 3 blitzers and a witch, 2 rr and fill the gaps with linemen

Then again if I were to try something new I'd go for pro-elves. Case has been made by others already.

Aino

Fighting signature size creep ;)
dode74
Ex-Cyanide/Focus toadie

Post by dode74 »

@dode74 - would you really start with a tree ? I tried Woodies once on FUMBBL and never ever got near a treeman, I was way too busy saving money to replace dead/niggled/crippled linemen while the wardancers hogged all the SPP and got the apo on standby...
Probably not. Lots of people do, though. Journeymen make like much easier when it comes to replacing linos, ofc.

juck101
Ex-Mega Star, now just a Super Star
Ex-Mega Star, now just a Super Star

Post by juck101 »

Skaven.

Woodies and DE are great, but not very simple to learn with.

...the pope said to his aid...
Jimmy Fantastic
Super Star
Super Star

Post by Jimmy Fantastic »

Woodies for me, by far. WDs mean you are in with a shot every game. I would go with the standard start of 2 WDs, Catcher 8 Linos, 2 RR. Get an apo asap then a tough choice between Tree and RR, then the other. Eventually add some more Catchers. Oh and make sure you know how to one turn.

MattDakka
Super Star
Super Star

Post by MattDakka »

Wood Elves.
I generally use the Treeman, but Wood Elves can do well even without him.
We should know your league composition: if you are in a league full of agile teams the Treeman is a waste, if you are vs bash/hybrid he could be very useful instead.