Low-balling in the Underworld

Want to know how to beat your opponents, then get advice, or give advice here.

Moderators: Valen, TFF Mods

Digger Goreman
Legend
Legend
Location: Atlanta, GA., USA: Recruiting the Walking Dead for the Blood Bowl Zombie Nation

Low-balling in the Underworld

Post by Digger Goreman »

As a mental exercise, I was considering an all goblin and troll team, using Stars to enhance the team....

Personnel wise, that's 10 gobs and 1 Troll for 510 TV... leaving a whopping 490 to play with....

Three rerolls? Brings us to 780 TV.... Assuming you have at least 220,000 in gold, what are the ramifications?

Off the bat, you could easily have 13 players (temporarily, if taking special weapons)....

You avoid animosity by eliminating skaven regulars....

A few questions: Is this better than the standard roster? Is it better than a regular goblin team? Are Underworld gobbos, one warpstone troll and stars better than either regular roster? What could YOU do to make this starting team as fearsome as possible...?

What about 11 goblins, three rerolls, and 290,000 gp?

Reason: ''
LRB6/Icepelt Edition: Ah!, when Blood Bowl made sense....
"1 in 36, my Nuffled arse!"
Digger Goreman
Legend
Legend
Location: Atlanta, GA., USA: Recruiting the Walking Dead for the Blood Bowl Zombie Nation

Re: Low-balling in the Underworld

Post by Digger Goreman »

Skitter as a pickup artist might be nice... feed the ball to the gobs....

Itchen Masack
Ex-Mega Star, now just a Super Star
Ex-Mega Star, now just a Super Star

Post by Itchen Masack »

Having played goblins a lot, I've looked at such an UW roster before and wondered. But with a max of 12 goblins, and absence of my preferred weapons (ok there is Fezglitch but 100k bribes) coupled with only 1 troll, I really don't think the way I play could make it work.

Would be interested if someone had managed to make a success of such a roster.

Playing goblins I rely on 2 trolls & 2 fanatics, and the chainsaw to cause damage and protect the goblins. With just 1 UW troll, albeit with claw, I don't feel there is enough firepower there.

Smeborg
Legend
Legend

Post by Smeborg »

I have found Underworld to "rely" on the "strength" of the Skaven players - at least this is what makes them able to punch above their weight (especially once you have 2 or 3 Guards on the team).

So I would be nervous about abandoning the rostered Skaven players. They all seem so much more valuable than on the Skaven team. I mean the Linerats seem like great positional players!

All the best.

Smeborg the Fleshless
swilhelm73
Star Player
Star Player

Post by swilhelm73 »

UW generally rely on the Blitzers to inflict pain on the opposition, and the other skaven to move the ball. The difference between mv 6 and 7 is non-trivial.

I think you'd make the team much weaker without the skaven players then.

Having played a fair amount against underworld recently, the ability of the opposition to screen the skaven players with disposable goblins makes for a highly mobile team that can hurt you (mb, claw, PO on a blitzer....OWWWIIIE!!!) and implodes when an early 3+ dodge fails. 8)

Digger Goreman
Legend
Legend

Post by Digger Goreman »

The Professor wanted to play his hurt goblin team (9 gobbos, chainsaw, 1 troll) so I trotted out the Underworld sans skaven Disposable Heroes!

It was mostly "goblin ball".... I only had about 70k in inducements so took and fielded Dribblesnot on the kick.... Kept the troll on the bench in the face of the saw.... Though we would have to get to the second half to prove it, the Prof's fate was sealed on the first and third turn blitz when the loony first stunned, then niggled himself on his first two (and only two) attempted starts....

Overall, the ball went every which way including out of bounds... but the Heroes would score in both halves as, despite two foul outs, his gobbs were more fragile than mine....

Not a very empirical game... but a win is a win....

Deuce got a casualty, and a td
Orlando got a completion
Gob X got a TD and MVP, so sprouted two heads.... :orc:

Lost one gob to a niggling injury and will consider just cutting him....