Nasty Nancies (Nurgle) advice

Want to know how to beat your opponents, then get advice, or give advice here.

Moderators: Valen, TFF Mods

swilhelm73
Star Player
Star Player

Re: Nasty Nancies (Nurgle) advice

Post by swilhelm73 »

MattDakka wrote:
A MA 5 Rotter is not a potential carrier. Too slow, not efficient.
I've seen a St4 rotter running back work pretty well. It synergies well with Nurgle's early strength so it is actually pretty effective.
MattDakka wrote: Presuming you have competent opponents, they can free at least one player to blitz your slow bootlegging ball carrier for either a -2d block OR a 1d block, if they fail this, well, a MA 5 player won't run very far away, right?
Actually, quite the opposite. When that -2D comes up skull they've generally conceded the TD to you, and potentially left a lot of their players in a bad, bad position. And once you have block, they only have a 1/9 chance of taking you down...unlike the 1/3 for the 1D.
MattDakka wrote: A MA 7 ST 3 ball carrier beats a MA 5 ST 4.
As has been pointed out a few times, those aren't the choices. You've got the player with the strength bump or the rookie.
MattDakka wrote:

Even if you don't roll +MA, a MA 6 Pestigor is faster than a MA 5 Rotter, therefore better as ball carrier.

A rookie is clearly inferior to a ST boosted player so...no.
MattDakka wrote:
Part of winning consistently comes down to carefully choosing the skills and the stats of every player, a MA 5 Rotter is not a good starting "chassis" for a ball carrier player.
And if you presume you are going to get the rolls you want when you want them you aren't going to win consistently or really win at all...as true in tactical play as in strategic.
MattDakka wrote: I stopped playing on Cyanide because an accidental connection drop could ruin a match, C.Pact, Slann and many Star Players are missing, also, leagues don't allow me to play as much as I want, anyway I play on FUMBBL in a league and in Box.
It is amazing that the folks at Cyanide couldn't get some of the feature that SkiJunkie did in his client. But the league play you get on the Cyanide side tends to get people to stick there after they've tried it. Cyanide will get a another shot shortly with their second version coming out...but I'll be skeptical until I see the results from the feature prespective. It is also odd they got GW to agree to let them create their own team...instead of just implementing C Pact or Slann (supposedly Bretonnians in Version 2).
MattDakka wrote: Playing in a league gives you more bloat-freedom but still this is not an excuse to try to turn a Rotter into a ball carrier.
Playing Nurgle as a lean TV team in a league is...an odd choice. Like chaos they are a team that generally benefits from being a TV over dog. Though almost any team would generally want +ST as an early lineman skill anyway.

If you want a more lean league team you are probably better off with something like CDw (no minotaur)...

Playing tournament or min/max open is different of course and were I motivated to play the latter I'd agree with you that you should take few if any skills on a rotter.

Reason: ''
MattDakka
Super Star
Super Star

Post by MattDakka »

I disagree but ok, whatever floats your boat :D.
I explained my points, keeping on is futile, I see.
What was your nickname on FUMBBL?

Digger Goreman
Legend
Legend
Location: Atlanta, GA., USA: Recruiting the Walking Dead for the Blood Bowl Zombie Nation

Post by Digger Goreman »

Thanks for the spirited discussion, gents, and the help with getting me to think about strengths and needs for my team.... I'll take a look at the bottom line (TV), needs, desire to field overwhelming strength... along with our league structure (we kinda run stables of perpetual teams and negotiate matches at our meetings)....

As a side note to the ball carrier discussion, I tend to relegate rotters to the line (or linebacker) positions and move the ball with pestigors.... Ofc if a rotter is in the best position to advance the ball, he will be called on to do so.... Warriors are destroyers and problem solvers....

We do often experiment in our league but, this being my only Nurgle team, I want this rotter to cover the team's weaknesses as best as his 6+6 can manage.... Does any of this change the paradigm of the discussion?

LRB6/Icepelt Edition: Ah!, when Blood Bowl made sense....
"1 in 36, my Nuffled arse!"
swilhelm73
Star Player
Star Player

Post by swilhelm73 »

MattDakka wrote:I disagree but ok, whatever floats your boat :D.
I explained my points, keeping on is futile, I see.
What was your nickname on FUMBBL?
swilhelm73 - my last match on FUMBBL was a long long time ago
Digger Goreman wrote: We do often experiment in our league but, this being my only Nurgle team, I want this rotter to cover the team's weaknesses as best as his 6+6 can manage.... Does any of this change the paradigm of the discussion?
A core Nurgle strength at low TV is...their strength.

Their biggest weaknesses, IMO, is offense. They are team slow*, low ag, and no P or AG access.

* The average movement on the team, presuming all positionals, is less then 5.

MattDakka
Super Star
Super Star

Post by MattDakka »

swilhelm73 wrote: swilhelm73 - my last match on FUMBBL was a long long time ago
Then come back and play again! :D

swilhelm73
Star Player
Star Player

Post by swilhelm73 »

No time to take up another league/set of leagues.

And I really like the core group of coaches I play with too. That's a real selling point for GOBBLN.

MattDakka
Super Star
Super Star

Post by MattDakka »

No need to play in a scheduled league, there is Box, a matchmaking division to play a game whenever you want.
:D

babass
Super Star
Super Star

Post by babass »

There is 2 kinds of coachs for the box:

and these one (like me)

MattDakka
Super Star
Super Star

Post by MattDakka »

Actually I'm not a clawpomb fanatic.
:D With Elves you win more at any TV.

Digger Goreman
Legend
Legend
Location: Atlanta, GA., USA: Recruiting the Walking Dead for the Blood Bowl Zombie Nation

Post by Digger Goreman »

MattDakka wrote:Actually I'm not a clawpomb fanatic.
:puke:

With that, I no longer feel any remorse in having taken the strength add.... :-?

MattDakka
Super Star
Super Star

Post by MattDakka »

Digger Goreman wrote:
MattDakka wrote:Actually I'm not a clawpomb fanatic.
:puke:

With that, I no longer feel any remorse in having taken the strength add.... :-?
I play all teams, but I prefer to avoid the clawpomb ones because they rely on a broken and silly combo.
Khemri is my favourite bash team because it requires brain and good positioning, unlike most of the clawpomb-spam team.

Digger Goreman
Legend
Legend

Post by Digger Goreman »

We actually have never had to worry about this claw whatnot phenomenon in our leagues however, elves are a plague anywhere, at any TV... and too bloody facile for mature coaches....

MattDakka
Super Star
Super Star

Post by MattDakka »

Digger Goreman wrote:We actually have never had to worry about this claw whatnot phenomenon in our leagues however, elves are a plague anywhere, at any TV... and too bloody facile for mature coaches....
In perpetual matchmaking leagues at high TV clawpomb teams are very common and they destroy not-clawpomb bash teams and hybrid teams, so playing elves grants a good chance of win.
In private leagues elves are good too but I don't think they are as good as in perpetual matchmaking leagues, since you can tailor your team's skills to deal with them.

SunDevil
Goblin Fancier

Post by SunDevil »

Fassbinder75 wrote:You'll go game after game where FA does FA, then you'll have a regression to the mean game and your opponent will be cursing his inability to do anything.
Took me a minute but I see what you did there. Well done, sir. :)

This is Chance from THREE DIE BLOCK - Your Blood Bowl Podcast! Stay off the sidelines!
THANK YOU TO EVERYONE WHO HELPED MAKE THE SIMYIN A REALITY!!!
swilhelm73
Star Player
Star Player

Post by swilhelm73 »

A bit of a thread Necro here, but after the discussions on ball carriers for nurgle we had earlier I had to share...

I had one +ST blodge pestigor and one +MA blodge pestigor on my team. I was using either to carry the ball depending on who could get to it more easily on the drive.

Then I had a bad match against some evil, evil chaos dwarves and my +ST pestie died to a foul. So the +MA one became the sole ball carrier. Two games later I got a rematch against the chaos dwarves...and my ball carrier scored 3 TDs...earning a level. Which turned out to be 6+6.

This team has rolled 5 strength ups but has never gotten a +AG. 8)