Dwarf Troll Slayer

Want to know how to beat your opponents, then get advice, or give advice here.

Moderators: Valen, TFF Mods

bizzydog217
Experienced
Experienced

Dwarf Troll Slayer

Post by bizzydog217 »

So my Troll Slayer hit his third skill in my last match. I'm debating between 5 skills (although mostly narrowed down to like 2-3) on what he should get.

I'm pasting the PDF here so let me know if it doesn't work and I'll adjust what I can.

http://lafindumonde.net/handler.php?typ ... detailed=0

My team has 13 players, all but 2 have block. I have 7 guys with Guard, 6 with Mighty Blow, and obviously my blockers have tackle. We play in a perpetual league where teams can be brought back as many times as the coach would like. My TV is over 1800 already and we played only 1 game this season so far. My upcoming matches are against all rookie teams. I play rookie Nurgle twice, rookie Human 3 times, rookie Chaos Dwarf twice, rookie Dark Elf twice. These teams have no more than like 4 skills tops so far.

The Slayer in question has Guard and Mighty Blow. I'm debating between Stand Firm, Strip Ball, Juggernaut, Tackle, or Piling On. Piling On isn't the best option due to limited mobility, Tackle is useless in half my matches, Juggernaut only works if he blitzes (and with 2 slayers and a roller he isn't always blitzing) strip ball might be too late to transform him into a sniper, and stand firm helps maintain position. Overall I'm really down to Juggernaut, Stand Firm, or Tackle. What is all of your opinions on this matter?

Reason: ''
Jimmy Fantastic
Super Star
Super Star

Re: Dwarf Troll Slayer

Post by Jimmy Fantastic »

Piling On. You really should have taken MB first and PO second but better late than never!

MattDakka
Super Star
Super Star

Post by MattDakka »

Piling on.
Don't worry about mobility, when you remove opponent players the mobility is not a problem, moreover the Troll Slayer has AV 8 and needs protection, when he's on the ground after piling on he is safer than if he were standing.

bizzydog217
Experienced
Experienced

Post by bizzydog217 »

That was my initial thought but everyone was saying not to take that. I felt it was good because it helps amp up the murder factor of opponent pieces.
So Piling on you think will work better than the other 4?

MattDakka
Super Star
Super Star

Post by MattDakka »

bizzydog217 wrote:That was my initial thought but everyone was saying not to take that. I felt it was good because it helps amp up the murder factor of opponent pieces.
So Piling on you think will work better than the other 4?
Absolutely, also, don't blitz with the Roller, try to use a PO, MB player whenever you can, more chances of hurting opponent players.

bizzydog217
Experienced
Experienced

Post by bizzydog217 »

Ideally I like to have my roller get a 3 dice block or be next to two players to allow myself to have use for Multiple Block.

I think I might try a newer strategy and put some of my blockers in the back field to face against dodge players.
Additionally I was thinking of giving each Blocker guard/Mighty Blow/Stand Firm in that order to keep field advantage.

Runners were going to be developed individually with one getting kick, and the other is getting block, and Kick Off Return.

Blitzes if they even skill up are getting Mighty Blow on my "Big Guy" and the other I don't even know yet.

I'm assuming in this scenario I roll no doubles and no stat up.

Dr. Von Richten
Super Star
Super Star

Post by Dr. Von Richten »

bizzydog217 wrote:Ideally I like to have my roller get a 3 dice block or be next to two players to allow myself to have use for Multiple Block.
Actually, you shouldn't even have a Deathroller (from a competitive p.o.v.) It's way too expensive for what it does.

Now, in your situation, where you're giving your opponents so much inducements even without a 160k+ Deathroller that adding it doesn't matter much anymore, it is not quite so wasted, but still, its on for only one drive, and all it does is give you 3 dice blocks (with MB) without Block and with Loner ... you have enough Guard that getting 2 die Blocks with Block (and mostly Tackle and MB too), and without Loner should be no prob, which are much safer and in many cases more likely to take down the opponent.

Also your Trollslayers should not get Guard until later; MB, then PO, then Tackle (only if you're facing too much Blodge for your Blockers too handle), later on Juggernaught on at least one, and then Guard and/or Stand Firm.

bizzydog217
Experienced
Experienced

Post by bizzydog217 »

Since I'm about to hit spiraling expenses I'm considering firing the Roller and getting a 7th blocker or staying with just 12 players. That one is debatable. I probably should have went with mighty blow, piling on, tackle, guard but both have guard already and mighty blow, so I won't complain. I gave this one piling on and the other is 9 points away so won't be too long if he plays right.

MattDakka
Super Star
Super Star

Post by MattDakka »

Yes, I suggest to fire the Roller as well, it's not worth its TV.

bizzydog217
Experienced
Experienced

Post by bizzydog217 »

I wanted to try him out and I wasn't approaching the epic bloat I'm approaching right now. Last game he almost didn't get fielded at all, and while I love the ST 7 player having Loner is still scary and knowing he goes out and isn't back for the game after 1 drive is nuts. We are allowed mercenaries in the playoffs so I'm thinking that I might end up just hiring a mere if I need one come playoff time but for now drop that TV closer to 1700.

Digger Goreman
Legend
Legend
Location: Atlanta, GA., USA: Recruiting the Walking Dead for the Blood Bowl Zombie Nation

Post by Digger Goreman »

bizzydog217 wrote:
My team has 13 players, all but 2 have block. I have 7 guys with Guard, 6 with Mighty Blow, and obviously my blockers have tackle. My upcoming matches are against all rookie teams. I play rookie Nurgle twice, rookie Human 3 times, rookie Chaos Dwarf twice, rookie Dark Elf twice. These teams have no more than like 4 skills tops so far.
Cheezus Riced, Bizzy, you could mop the floor with any of these teams at starting value... let alone having an 800 overdog slaughter fest for 9 more games.... You don't have any worries, or need any advice imho.... Maybe a personal apothecary when you die laughing?

It's a cakewalk season, mate.... A farming scenario supreme....

If I were superstitious, I'd pray for your opponents.... :|

LRB6/Icepelt Edition: Ah!, when Blood Bowl made sense....
"1 in 36, my Nuffled arse!"
bizzydog217
Experienced
Experienced

Post by bizzydog217 »

Digger Goreman wrote:
bizzydog217 wrote:
My team has 13 players, all but 2 have block. I have 7 guys with Guard, 6 with Mighty Blow, and obviously my blockers have tackle. My upcoming matches are against all rookie teams. I play rookie Nurgle twice, rookie Human 3 times, rookie Chaos Dwarf twice, rookie Dark Elf twice. These teams have no more than like 4 skills tops so far.
Cheezus Riced, Bizzy, you could mop the floor with any of these teams at starting value... let alone having an 800 overdog slaughter fest for 9 more games.... You don't have any worries, or need any advice imho.... Maybe a personal apothecary when you die laughing?

It's a cakewalk season, mate.... A farming scenario supreme....

If I were superstitious, I'd pray for your opponents.... :|

Bro I agree so much and yet I dropped my first game to the Chaos Dwarf. First half were some pretty rough rolls but overall fairly even with his 2 star players. I was down 1-0 first half. Second Half I started maiming fairly quickly and scored by turn 5 leaving 3 turns left. I expected him to cradle the ball and for me to try and punch through for the late game win. Instead when I swept in he handed off to the Bull and darted down field while boxing in my other dwarfs. Overall bad mistake by me, good play by him. I guess after playing a High Elf team for a whole season I forgot how immobile these guys are haha. I will say though I think it was lesson learned. At least I know 3/5 teams in my division make playoffs and I'm pretty sure I can "roll" over most like you said. I would like to trim the fat a little on the excess bloat until they pick up in their TV. No need for me to give everyone Morg and a chainsaw every game.