Double 6 on a Block Troll

Want to know how to beat your opponents, then get advice, or give advice here.

Moderators: Valen, TFF Mods

What to take?

The +ST, obviously.
81%
Dodge. A blodge troll with Break Tackle!
9%
Jump Up. Works nicely with Piling On.
2%
Pro
6%
Side Step
No votes
Something else.
2%

Total votes: 47

Aliboon
Super Star
Super Star

Post by Aliboon »

Hi there. The troll is on a goblin team playing the NTBBL rules, so he doesn't have loner which makes Pro less attractive. He has Block, Break Tackle and Piling On, so what should I get him?

The other troll has guard and just rolled a 6 + 4 so I went with the +AV, but should I just go Stand Firm or something instead?

Cheers

Reason: ''
Shteve0
Legend
Legend

Post by Shteve0 »

I'd normally say ST easily, but jump up on a lonerless, Block POMB troll might be too good to pass up. Frenzy would also be pretty sweet.

I'd look at grab for the other guy, especially if you were to go frenzy on the first.

League and tournament hosting, blogging and individual forums - all totally free. For the most immersive tabletop sports community experience around, check out theendzone.co
fanglord13
Experienced
Experienced

Post by fanglord13 »

Take the strength and don't look back. Block and ST6 is a major road block

Pedda
Star Player
Star Player

Re:

Post by Pedda »

Shteve0 wrote:I'd normally say ST easily, but jump up on a lonerless, Block POMB troll might be too good to pass up.
I don't see this. You won't use the jump up block, so it would be strictly to stand the troll up and move it four sqaures.
Without jump up you can still move the troll three squares with two GFIs, which isn't too risky, since it doesn't have loner.

Hence, I don't see the need for jump up and would rather go for the +ST. Both for the road block effect as well as the cage breaking abilities with break tackle

Shteve0
Legend
Legend

Post by Shteve0 »

Why would you not use the jump up block...? Apologies, perhaps I'm missing something here.

Like I say, I'd normally suggest ST without a moment's hesitation... but if this guy isn't packing loner, I think a jump up block is a very real option.

Edit: double checked, would be a 3+ block, which I'd overlooked. Trickier.

League and tournament hosting, blogging and individual forums - all totally free. For the most immersive tabletop sports community experience around, check out theendzone.co
Itchen Masack
Ex-Mega Star, now just a Super Star
Ex-Mega Star, now just a Super Star

Re: Double 6 on a Block Troll

Post by Itchen Masack »

Str 6 is very had to pass up, but maybe also consider Tackle. One (of many) things goblins struggle to do is take down Blodgers, and marking up dodge elves is pretty pointless. Whenever offered a double I have been taking Block all the time, but sometimes I wonder to myself if Tackle might have been better as the 10th elf skips past.

Darkson
Da Spammer

Re:

Post by Darkson »

Shteve0 wrote:Why would you not use the jump up block...? Apologies, perhaps I'm missing something here.
The Block would be on a 4+, and if failed, wasted lying on the floor.

Currently an ex-Blood Bowl coach, most likely to be found dying to Armoured Skeletons in the frozen ruins of Felstad, or bleeding into the arena sands of Rome or burning rubber for Mars' entertainment.
Shteve0
Legend
Legend

Post by Shteve0 »

Diving Tackle is a normal skill for goblins

Glowworm

Post by Glowworm »

Strength, make him a big guy killer, ang guard on the other gives you 3 dice against St3. Players, also combo's well with break tackle.

Shteve0
Legend
Legend

Post by Shteve0 »

Holy crap, it would be on a 4+, of course. I must be tired :(

Aliboon
Super Star
Super Star

Post by Aliboon »

If the troll was above AG1 then I can see JU being more of an option, but chances are I won't risk him staying grounded for a chance of another block.

I hadn't considered tackle, but isn't frenzy as good as taking down dodgers with the extra block anyway (and obviously better against everyone else)? I'm slightly wary about frenzy due to its potential to take me out of position. It would combine nicely with a DT gobbo to deny the dodge reroll though.

fanglord13
Experienced
Experienced

Post by fanglord13 »

Tackle also makes it a little harder for the pointy eared gits to get away

lunchmoney
Legend
Legend

Post by lunchmoney »

I voted Dodge. I like the idea of a Troll busting into a standard cage on a 4+ with RR (75% chance to work). Knock down a corner first? 3+ with RR (88.8% working :) ). All good :)

Hired Goon for the NAF (rep for South West England)
lunchmoneybb@gmail.com

TOs! You do not need multiple copies of rosters. It's a waste of paper.
Bribe level: good coffee.
#FlingNation find me on page 95
plasmoid
Legend
Legend

Post by plasmoid »

Being lonerless, I'd definately go ST over Dodge.
Dodging with him is a lot less unreliable when he can tap into the team rerolls.

Narrow Tier BB? http://www.plasmoids.dk/bbowl/NTBB.htm
Or just visit http://www.plasmoids.dk instead
Decker_cky
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Decker_cky »

lunchmoney wrote:I voted Dodge. I like the idea of a Troll busting into a standard cage on a 4+ with RR (75% chance to work). Knock down a corner first? 3+ with RR (88.8% working :) ). All good :)
With no loner and break tackle, it's the strength is probably better in terms of cage breaking (also better against cages with 2 guards).

I say take strength. Frenzy is the only alternative, but goblin trolls might be put in a bad place with that.